Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Postcards from the Lake: Road Trip, Alpenfest, Friends and Family

A little rain, a little sun. Sun is wonderful for outdoors, rain and gloom means road trips, reading, writing. I'll start with the road trips.


Last week I made a couple of trips north to the Petoskey/Harbor Springs area. The first was for an art fair where I did a bit of damage. The second was to enjoy lunch with my friend Susan who moved north about a year ago.


And a mighty fine lunch it was!


Of course, when I'm in the area, I have to go by the gingerbread houses and interesting homes in the Bay View area.


This area is so pretty, older homes. It reminds me a great deal of Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard, but the homes are spaced farther apart and over a different (hillier) terrain. But both were founded originally as camp areas for religious organizations (in Bay View's case, the Methodists.)


I need to go back and do another post on this area, walking more within but these pics were from as I was driving by in traffic that was stop and go.


Summer in the north is filled with loads of color, like kayaks...


...and carnivals!


It's Alpenfest time in Gaylord. I can't say it's my favorite event of the year but I can say it is colorful!


The midway always attracts loads of people, and they were out on this particular evening. The day had been rainy and dreary but it was dry enough to enjoy all the carnival fun.


Alpenfest is Gaylord's summer festival. Everyone dresses in Alpine clothes, there are outdoor summer concerts, a very long parade and a usually very bad air/craft fair (or crapht fair, in this case). You might find a good vendor but they are few and far between. At least for me. But the kids love the midway!


I even got Rick to Alpenfest! And Rick avoids stuff like this like the plague!


I confess, we weren't into the knobby knee contest or the prettiest ankle contest. But it was fun to hang out on the only sunny day of the festival and enjoy watching the rides.


This carnival organ was also pretty cool and played a non-stop repertoire of carnival music to add to the ambience.


We even caught some of the parade. I don't envy this woman who had to carry around the Alphorn and then play on it. (Family lore: I believe my uncle was part of the group from Gaylord who brought back the Alphorn for the first Alpenfest 50-something years ago!)


Despite all the cars, bands and floats (and a plethora of queen candidates), the parade is the longest parade in the world. (I really think Macy's might be shorter.) And on a day with sun like that, especially after a gloomy, rainy week, we headed back to the cottage.


One other thing on Alpenfest, which has the worst art and crapht fair in the world (I know I said that before but it bears repeating), is that someone makes a bundle selling these little Alpenbloom crowns that loads of people wear for $25.


I bring this up because the best part of the week was that for most of it Mark and Katie were here. Mark is my cousin's oldest son and I love it when he and Katie come to the lake! And Katie made her own crown from some faux flowers at the cottage for free.


No fleas on Katie! Life is good this summer!

35 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Looks like you have been having fun. Those old houses are beautiful. The alpenfest looks like all the similar ones over here, loud, flashy and expensive! The food you had with your friend looks really great! Hugs, Valerie

Jenny Woolf said...

It looks like a charming place, and those gingerbread houses are delightful. I admit I am with Rick on the parades, but I know many people enjoy the dressing up and razzmatazz. And it's always good to meet family and friends. Sounds as if you are having a fun summer!

Joanne Huffman said...

I can see you making some beautiful watercolors of the old houses and the fair rides. That must be some awful art and craft fair for you to call it out like that. Glad you're enjoying your summer.

Pam said...

Oh how neat. I loved the houses. So much fun with the cool decorations of them. Looks like you had the best time when you were out and about.

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

I enjoyed all of the color Jeanie! Glad you were able to enjoy Mark and Katie's visit!
xo
Jemma

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I love the pinecone tree. What a great festival. You lunch looks delicious, nice photos of your friend and Rick. The houses are so cute! Enjoy your day and the week ahead!

A Cuban In London said...

That dish looks amazing! :-) Thanks.

Greetings from London.

My name is Erika. said...

It looks like you are really enjoying the summer. I love how these "resort" areas have all these events. We live in a "resort" area and I know what theses events are. But how fun! It looks like even Rick must have had some fun. Hugs-Erika

Marilyn Miller said...

What a festive summer you are having. Just what summers should be about. A lake, a parade, a carnival, and flowers for the hair.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This was fun. Loved the gingerbread houses, the colorful kayaks, and buoys. Thought the carnival was colorful and fun.

Alpenfest looks beautiful and colorful, too, but like Rick, I'm not sure I'm up for all that excitement, especially on those rides that they set up in each town.

And now I'm REALLY laughing at the crapht fair because I bought one of those crowns at a Renaissance Fair in CA. years ago. It still hangs on my living room wall, surrounded by rocking horses and musical instruments.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

You always hit the nail on the head when I read your posts. I have to keep learning that some days are rainy days, even if the sun is out. Some days are simply just reading days, others, days to go out. I am still of the mindset that I must accomplish great things daily, while I have the time and solitude. Enjoying what summer has to offer is the key, but I still have this "high achievement" idea that I can't shake, and I feel like a failure if all I've done in a day is read or amble about the neighborhood.

Victoria Zigler said...

Sounds like you're enjoying your Summer, even if some of the things going on aren't as much to your taste as others.

shoreacres said...

I especially like those houses. They remind me of the Victorians in Galveston. Now that the restoration process post-Ike really has gotten rolling, I need to go down and roam those neighborhoods again. I'm not much of a fan of things like Alpenfest, and parades generally bore me, but it does look like there were some real treats there -- edible and otherewise!

La Table De Nana said...

A lake house is fun:) Not only the away from It All Feeling..but the views and being able to indulge in cute water Kitsch:) I would go oevrboard pardon the pun:)

Great pics..thanks for sharing..BTW do you ever get to Mackinac Island? An IGer I follow is there..looks enchanting!

Cute CROWn:)♥

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Oh, those houses!! I just marvel at the detail. They are so beautiful. Whenever I see grand old homes, I try to imagine what life must have been like when they were newly built and a families lived in them for the first time. -Jenn

Linda @ A La Carte said...

What fun times! Love all the photos!!

Rita C at Panoply said...

How fun. Katie looks cute in her crown. And who doesn't hate...er, I mean love...a good crapht fair. :P

Doodle T said...

A parade longer than the Macy's Day Parade...wow..that is long...looks like a lot of campy fun...a perfect summer outing...crowns and all. :)

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

WOW what a long parade, but it looks like a lot of fun. Sounds like you are enjoying yourselves - so much to do, rest, sight see, read and painting.

Enjoy your time there - it will pass to quickly.

Have a great weekend.

Hugs,
Mary

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, carnivals, how fun! It sounds like you had a fun day at Alpenfest, Jeanie. Did you go on any of the grand rides? I love that carousel picture. That sure is a delightful picture of the lady blowing the Alphorn. Enjoy these summer days, Jeanie. July is a big month for birthdays in my family (4 of them). : )

~Sheri

Tracy said...

Scenes from your summer--hooray! Ooo... the lures of of an arts & crafts fair... hard to resist! LOVE that pinecone tree!! And such lunch--YUM! Such beautiful houses... love all the crisp white trim and gingerbread. Such fun the carnival--and the Alpine theme... and Alpine family history!!! :-O I'm not much for carnivals and parades, but will go when back home, as our young niece loves all that... LOL! Apart from the national day here, we don't have much in the way of parades... that's OK. ;) ((HUGS))

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Ha, I love your honest about the craft fair. :P I don't do well with crowds, especially when it's HOT out. But I like looking at picture of carnivals and such. The big 'to do' in the twin cities is the Minnesota State Fair (the great sweat together) in late August. I've gone a few times but usually only if I have guests visiting as it is a site to be seen. But the crowds just drive me crazy! I'm too much of a homebody to really enjoy that kind of outings. But it's fun to do occasionally!

Arti said...

Very colorful pics and what an interesting festival. Maybe one day I'll experience that. :)

Kitty said...

A delightful presentation as always. Love to you both.

JenniferRipplespeak said...

Your lake days make my heart stretch wide:)
I love to hear the rhythm of the way you spend them - it coaches something that goes tight in me. Thank you for your lovely tone:)
Those gingerbread houses and other fairy-tale looking homes made my skin cool off just a bit. Seems like a lovely mountain town.
And I think I'm with Rick about the carnival;)
-Jennifer

I need orange said...

I'm glad you are enjoying your summer up north! Thanks for taking us along as you venture forth to partake of local culture. :-)

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Jeanie, I love that area! I remember having lunch at Stafford's when we were there and buying stationery by local artist Gwen Frostic (she was still alive then) and visiting a small food enterprise I had read about in Victoria magazine and buying a Petoskey stone, of course! Love your photos. Keep having a wonderful summer.

Lynne said...

Looks like you are having plenty to keep you enjoying "the north."
I too enjoy a visit to Harbor Springs area . . .
Lake cottagy homes and lovely large estate homes, beautiful area.
Your "eats" looked wonderful on your "meet up" time with your friend.
Happy summer days Jeanie!

BeachGypsy said...

Oh I love this post...all the color! I love merry go rounds---the lights, the color, the music, the horses going up and down! I sure love those pretty victorian houses too, I wish we had never "progressed" away from those, even though they are harder to heat and cool. They are so unique and so charming. I love flower crowns, simply because they ARE SO FUN!! They sure are a high price there though, we get them here for about ten. I have also made our own a time or two also, LOL Oh, and I love parades too....our big one here in Charleston is our annual Christmas parade, we do so love it!

handmade by amalia said...

Looks like a great road trip. So many things to admire. And lunch looks delicious.
Amalia
xo

The French Hutch said...

Looks like you found plenty to see on your road trip. First it is always nice to meet up with friends for lunch and the salad looked delish. I see you found a lot of beautiful colors at the festival, loved the flowers and ribbons. The favorite part of this post are those gorgeous homes. So patriotic with the flags..........I love that. Have a wonderful week.

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Hello dear Jeanie,
Oh what fun! Sunshine, brilliant colors, good food and time spent with a loved one.. What more can one ask for on a beautiful summer day. I absolutely love the homes.. Thank you for taking me along.
blessings,
Penny

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, what a wonderful time you are having! The kayak photo is fabulous. Lunch with you friend looked delicious and Mark and Katie are such a cute couple. I wanted to let you know your Giverny post will be featured at Gardens Galore tomorrow!

Sandra Cox said...

What beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing.
I'm so glad you're having such a wonderful time.

Mary K. said...

Jeanie the fair could not have been all that bad, since you wrote about it. I really enjoyed looking at all the colors and I could almost hear the sounds by the looks of that giant horn. Good for Katie who made her own crown!

Popular Posts