Thursday, January 5, 2017

A Visit to the Giant Gingerman

(As indicated at the end of this, this is a holiday post from 2013. I have updated it and republishing upon request. The current post, "Climbing my Family Tree" is below. Sorry... Couldn't get it to publish in the right spot!)

The little girl was sad. The book she loved - the one once filled with happy endings - had changed. There wasn't a happy ending to be found, and the residents in the land of magical characters were as distressed as the little girl. It was, after all, Christmas time, and one shouldn't feel sad at Christmas! So, she asked the Sugarplum Fairy what to do.


The Sugarplum Fairy had to agree. There was no prince for Cinderella, Granny Wolf triumphed over Red, and while brainy, brave and filled with heart, the Scarecrow, Lion and Tin Man were adrift.


These weren't dilemmas Santa could solve with a beautiful gift or pretty bauble. No, it was time for a meeting.


They all gathered - Gepetto, the Cowardly Lion, Winnie the Pooh and more - determined to come up with a plan.


"It's not bad at all," said Pinocchio of the situation - but then his nose grew another inch.


Finally Jiminy Cricket resolved, "We must go see the Giant Gingerman at the top of the evergreen. He oversees all things magical. Perhaps he can help us."


And so, they began climbing to the top of the evergreen tree where the Giant Gingerman oversaw all things on the tree, protected by his phalanx of Gingerboys who stood guard in front of the popcorn fence...


...and gumdrop barricade.


But it was a hard climb, and they realized they must work together if they were ever to reach the top. First they had to trust each other -- and they were a little worried about a wolf in Grandma's clothes.


"We'll never make it," said Raggedy Ann.


"We can," Andy told her, and took her hand.


"My sheep will go ahead of us. They'll eat the grass and make us a trail," said Bo Peep. If we all keep an eye out, we won't lose them.


"I can grab onto a branch with my hook," said the Captain. "Just hold onto my other hand and I'll pull you up," he told Pooh.

Inch by inch they climbed the tree, helping one another up through the prickly branches, the glass ornaments and the sparkling snowflakes. They ignored the jokes of the jester, determined to reach their goal.


They passed the magical Snowland, all shiny brite in the sparkling lights.


And finally they came to a rest stop with sweet and savory smells coming from the kitchen.


The snow lady welcomed them.

"Let's stop for tea," Granny Wolf suggested. "I promise, I won't eat you. We have work to do!"


"I want some candy!" said Red.


"I'd like some Hunny," said Pooh.


"And muffins, too!" Peter Pan added!


"I'd prefer a bottle of wine," said the Tin Man. "That would warm the heart!"


And after a lovely treat, to the rhythmic beat of the tick-tocking croc, they began their climb again.


"I will fight any dangers that come along," said Captain Hook, brandishing his sword. But some weren't so energetic.


"My feet are tired," said the Cowardly Lion, who was less cowardly than weary from carrying his heavy mane.


"Let me help you," said Peter. He sprinkled fairy dust on the lion and the others.


"Just think lovely thoughts!" he said, and they magically flew to the top.


The Giant Gingerman greeted them, and asked what they wanted.


"We want a happy ending, sir," said Geppetto, as the Giant Gingerman listened carefully.


"I want all the children in the world to have beautiful endings and be happy," said Pinocchio (and his nose got smaller!).

"You had the happy endings all along," said the Giant Gingerman (who had done tutorials with the Wizard of Oz and knew that most answers were inside ourselves). You simply worked together and realized that together you were a good team. Everyone had their job, even the Captain! You were all part of the story."


Granny was kind and helped you all," he continued. "She didn't try to eat a one of you! Sometimes you need to have a clever wolf on your side."


"All you had to do was look inside yourselves and see how everyone is important in their own way. And then, you made a story, a story filled with heart."


Suddenly they all heard a bell ring!


"Don't you know that when a bell rings, another angel gets its wings," the supposedly smart Scarecrow said. (Actually, he just watched a lot of Christmas movies.)


"That," said Peter, "is from another story. Not this one! Come on, let's go! If we hurry, we can catch the cookie train!"


Peter, the Captain and the Croc returned to Neverland, ready for more adventures.


Pinocchio, Jiminy and Geppetto returned to their workshop, while the Tin Man, Scarecrow and Lion went in search of Dorothy.


Red had another piece of candy and made her way home from Grandma's very quickly, looking carefully over her shoulder -- just in case.


Everyone went on their way... and the little girl?


She finished her story (which ended happily ever after, of course) and then she went out to play and celebrate Christmas with all her friends.

Merry Christmas! 

This post,originally published on Christmas Day, 2013, features ornaments from my "Mom" tree -- ornaments either collected by made by her (Raggedy Ann and Andy, Bo Peep) or those gathered later in her spirit. It includes the gingerbread popcorn strands she made, the Giant Gingerman (made by my dad), Storybook ornaments by Iaulanda, a Red Riding Hood that arrived on flowers when I was sick in the fourth grade, a bell from my Grandmother's tree and other favorites. I'm a better photographer now and one day will do over the photos. Till then, enjoy!.

32 comments:

I need orange said...

Love your story! (The part about taking tutorials with the Wizard of Oz is my very favorite.... :-) )

I used to have an elf that must have come from the same exact place as your Red.......... With wire inside the arms and legs, so it could hold on to bed posts or bookshelf brackets......

Willow said...

Clapping wildly , encore !
Happy Holidays to you and yours.
Willow

anno said...

Sigh. ♥
This one brought tears to my eyes.
Wishing you & yours peace and joy (and warmth and electrical power, too).

Barb said...

I like happy endings, Jeanie, specially for children. Such a variety of ornaments! I came by to wish you & Rick a happy day.

Joanne Huffman said...

What a great, and fun, story for a lovely assortment of ornaments. You must smile whenever you look at your tree.

Friko said...

And they all lived happily ever after.

Ah!

Best wishes for 2014, Jeanie!

Beth M. said...

*Cheers* This is wonderful!!! (Oh, and the gumdrop barricade--genius!) :D

Marilyn Miller said...

Now this story made me smile. Thank you! What a very fun Christmas tree that tells so many stories.

The Artful Diva said...

Wonderful story, Jeanie. I want to join the Tin Man and share a bottle of wine!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I love this story! It was such a unique way to show us more of your treasured ornaments! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas (and that the power was restored at Rick's!).

The Old Parsonage said...

Haha at first I thought that you were reciting from a story book. Love this soo much!

hope that the weather is improving and that Rick has electricity!

xo

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gift for story telling you have!
Absolutely charming, and thank you for sharing the fun and all the lovely photos too!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gift for story telling you have!
Absolutely charming, and thank you for sharing the fun and all the lovely photos too!

Sally Wessely said...

Your imagination amazes and enthralls me.

Sally Wessely said...

Your imagination amazes and enthralls me.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a wonderful post. I loved every minute of it. At first, it reminded me of the Wizard of Oz, then I saw that the Gingerman had created tutorials with the Wizard, and I laughed so hard, I almost fell off my computer chair. What a wonderful way to remember your mother, too.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic post, I so love your ornaments and story. Hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

This is a GREAT story. I love how you wove it and used your ornament photos to enhance it. :) Made me smile this morning. Hugs-Erika

La Table De Nana said...

So cute and every ornament just perfect to figure in your story..:);)

thepaintedapron.com said...

Oh Jeannie this is wonderful! I will never look at my ornaments the same way again, truly a magical story!!
Jenna

Doodle T said...

Love your story Jeanie...love the photos...and I especially love that giant gingerbread man...I could just eat him up. :)

The French Hutch said...

Jeanie, sweet, sweet, sweet! Love your story and all the characters. What a wonderful tree, in memory of your mom. So worth a repost, I missed it first time so thanks posting again. I'm still smiling!
Happy Friday.

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Great post and thank you so much for sharing. Love all the ornaments and the story that goes with the tree.

I finally have everything put away, except I find a few things here and there. I know one thing, my decorations will be very limited next Christmas.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Hugs,
Mary

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

What a wonderful story and the ornaments are simply delightful! Love your mom tree!!
hugs,
Jann

Kitty said...

Happy Holidays Jeanie. As I was watching your felt ornaments go by I couldn't help but remember the ones my Mom made. She and your mom would have been kindred spirits. Now I know where you get your creativity! Love to you and Rick.

Victoria Zigler said...

Great story!

I don't think I read it first time around, since I wasn't around on the blogs at that time (plus, I don't remember reading it before). So I'm glad you reposted it.

Sandra Cox said...

Did you right this, Jeanie? It's a great Christmas tale and the pictures are perfect.
Hugs

Bella Rum said...

I loved the story and the ornaments. Wouldn't the world be a better place if we could all cooperate and try to reach our goals together? Happy endings are nice.

Carola Bartz said...

Such a sweet, beautiful story with a happy ending. Such wisdom in here. The ornaments are lovely.

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Dear Jeanie
You're a born storyteller - it's wonderful.
We all enjoy going back to our fairy stories don't we - the adventures knew no limits when we were children?

Shane x

Sandy K. said...

Oh how I LOVE your post, and the sentiment behind it. Have very special, Jeannie. And every you can you revisit all these memories! A great story - thank you!

Daniela said...

Whenever I come and meet you here, darling Jeanie, you always put me in such good spirits, blessed be !

Hope your New Year is off to a good start,
I'm wishing you the best of weekends,
sending my dearest love to you

Xx Dany

P.S.: your Mom is truly an artist, for these are little masterpieces !!!

Popular Posts