Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Walking the Ditch

I realized that I hadn't posted much about walking the ditch this summer. There's a reason for it -- I haven't been going as often as sometimes and when I do, I've missed Harry almost every time. I only saw him once in the early spring, though other ditch walkers say they have seen him often. Must be the timing. I think I need to park myself on this bench and wait till he shows!


But I have had some lovely sightings this year! Take these deer for instance. I rarely see deer there, only once before (though again, ditch walkers tell me it's a fairly common sight.)


I loved their quiet, gentle grazing -- and the sweetness of the young fawn.


I was pretty far away, but I'm loving my new camera (not so new anymore!) and sweet zoom!

Bunnies about, too. This one was cautious but knew we were up to no harm.


Nonetheless, he remained tremendously alert!

 
Of course there are the ducks -- Laverne is back, eager to pose!

 
And so are her fellow quackers!

 This turtle wasn't out for an aerobic day!

 But it was fascinating to get a close-up look at his beautiful face and lovely shell.

 Of course there are lovely flowers...


...and beautiful views. One can gaze at the Monet-like lily pads.


Or, look at a wooded area where nesting boxes are placed on some of the trees.


And the woods evoke peace and quiet.


Peace and quiet. Clearly this ditch dweller found the spot a peaceful place to write in his journal. When I spoke with him, he said he comes nearly every day.


I don't blame him.


15 comments:

Arti said...

Beautiful and serene! The fawn is charming. While I see ducks and rabbits often I've never seen turtles in my area. Never imagine them to be so colourful! And the Monet pond with its lily pads... idyllic. You should use your 'new' camera more often. I look forward to more pics from your 'ditch'. ;)

Janet said...

I enjoy your walks along the ditch. It seems like such a tranquil place...a place where I'd love to stop and think for a while.

Barb said...

You have a lot of critters at the ditch. I just love the photo of the lily pads. Also, the markings you captured on the turtle!

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

What a glorious place to walk and observe! I love the pictures and the vicarious experience of strolling through all that vibrant life and beauty!

littleRamstudio said...

Beautiful shot of the lily pads. It's not difficult to see why Claude Monet was so inspired to build his own lake to be able to paint them at his leisure.
Heather :)

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

Beautiful walk....thanks for taking us along!

Bella Rum said...

What a gorgeous place. The deer are precious. So sweet. It's a beautiful gift for you to have so available. I enjoyed the wetlands when I lived at Dad's. We had so much wildlife. All you need is a little water and you get tons of wildlife.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

LOVE!!!!!!!!

From the alert bunny to the sweet ducks, you have shared a perfect summer day. I LOVE NATURE!

shoreacres said...

When I think of a ditch, this is not what comes to mind. What a treasure for you. I'd be out there nearly every day, too. I love the creatures you find, but that sense of overwhelming greenness is remarkable. Right now, it looks cool, and anything cool looks good to us, stuck as we are in the mid-summer doldrums.

Marilyn Miller said...

Oh thank you for the lovely visit to the ditch. What a treat it must be to have it nearby. I loved everything you saw and was surprised you even have water lilies, deer, and bunnies too. It is just lovely!

Sally Wessely said...

What a beautiful setting. I would love to journal there too.

Aren't those fawns just too adorable? I love them.

Are there mosquitos at the ditch? I always wonder about that in other parts of the country. We have not had many here this year at all. I think it has been too cool.

Sally Wessely said...

What a beautiful setting. I would love to journal there too.

Aren't those fawns just too adorable? I love them.

Are there mosquitos at the ditch? I always wonder about that in other parts of the country. We have not had many here this year at all. I think it has been too cool.

Beate said...

Love all the animals you met on your walk. Especially the turtle. I wish we had turtles in Germany :) What a beautiful place to walk in!

Joanne Huffman said...

Beautiful photos. I feel like I was on the walk with you.

Jenny Woolf said...

What marvellous wild creatures, the colour of the deer stands out so well doesn't it, but I have sometimes seen deer in the park in the autumn and they just blend in perfectly. I wonder why that is!
I am surprised that so many of your wild flowers are the same or similar to ours. I like to wonder how the seeds got transported all that way....

Popular Posts