Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Postcards From the Lake: Sunflowers, Butterflies, Friends and Art

 Some things just make me happy. For example, when I'm riding up north and straight ahead I start to see this sight!

 

I mentioned the sunflowers growing in the median of the highway going north before. I forget about them until late August when all of a sudden they burst into bloom.

 

There are four or five of these floral sections, and I can't stop looking at them. (It's probably good I'm not driving or I would be driving right into them!)

 

What other beauty is making me smile? More photos of my butterflies. 

 

I confess, some of these are a bit blurry. My camera didn't know where to focus.

 

Ask me if I care! I just couldn't take my eyes off of them!

 

They really know how to rock the color wheel!

 

Being with friends makes me smile. Earlier this summer, our Cork Popper friend Barb joined Kate and me for lunch. A long lunch with an incredible salad and sandwich and good friends. What's not to love?

 

And I've been trying to keep up the Art Camp momentum. Here are a few things.

Bibury, Cotswold


Castle Combe, England


Midford, England


 And my favorite spot.

 

Gotta fly! 

 

Have a great week!

Sharing with:   Share Your Style  /  Friday Face-Off  /  Saturday's Critters  /  Sunday In the Art Room (SITAR)  /  Love Your Creativity  /  Talking About It Tuesdays              

72 comments:

Pamela said...

Sunflowers, butterflies, lunch with friends, art, a beautiful view. All good things. Thank you for sharing.

handmade by amalia said...

These sunflowers make me happy as well. Your whole post, with the beautiful artwork, is joyful.
Amalia
xo

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jeanie,
I love the fields of sunflowers, they make me happy.
The Monarch butterflies are a pretty sight too.
Great photo of you and your friends.
I love all your art work!
Take care, enjoy your day and the rest of the week!

shoreacres said...

There are a couple of places I've found in Texas that have fields of sunflowers, but generally I've seen them only in states like Kansas. I was surprised to see them in your world, but pleased for you, too. They're one of the most smile-producing flowers I know!

Anvilcloud said...

What a positive post with both sunflowers and butterflies.And great art too.

La Table De Nana said...

I just love sunflowers also.Fields of them..or just a dozen my son-in-law grew to 12 ft tall:)Cute lunch spot with Jardins Du Luxembourg chairs:) You look happy and lovely! You have painted to your heart's content:)

Jenn Jilks said...

These are glorious! You have such good friends. And happy times to share!

Tom said...

...gotta fly for sure, but always stop to shoot the flowers and a butterfly or two.

Marilyn Miller said...

Butterflies and flowers would be my favorite view. Sitting on your porch looking out on the lake is spectacular. Your art always just makes me smile. I have in mind to play with glass vases of flowers in a painting or two. It always fascinates me. Good job! Time with friends too is always the best.

My name is Erika. said...

You hit the nail right on the head with this post Jeanie. Yes, it's the little things that make life good, isn't it? Glad life has been treating to sunflowers, friends and those pretty butterflies. Are you still at the lake? If so, I hope it hasn't gotten as chilly as the nights have been at my house. And thank you for sending the second link up for the bee quilt. I linked up to Carole's blog so I could see the finished quilt. Thank you linking me up. Have a great day. hugs-Erika

Barbara said...

Oh yes! The fields of sunflowers are so stunning this time of the year.
I just have to say I love your spot by the window over-looking the lake. I think that would be my favourite spot too.

Linda Stoll said...

Jeanie - this is all so very awesome - the gift of friends and art and sunflowers and simply enjoying this beautiful season.

Christine said...

Gorgeous art! Enjoyed your happy post!

Kari Rogers Miller said...

Awe Jeanie...a gal after my own heart showing me fields of sunflowers! It is times like this that I miss Kansas and the sunflower fields we played in as children and in later years enjoyed as an adult. Thank you my friend!
It is the small things that make me smile too...I will never forget my excitement at seeing a Painted Bunting at my bird feeder and my husband saying " you are so easy to please, it doesn't take much to make you smile." Smiles are infectious as shown in your luncheon photo, ...you and your friends are enjoying a simple sandwich and salad and a sweet friendship. It doesn't get any better than that. Have a great and blessed day.

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

So lovely the sunflowers and those gorgeous butterflies. Happy times.

Dawn said...

All so good. What is the plant the butterflies seem to love? (lavender colored) Lunch with friends is priceless. I'm going to lunch in about 30 minutes with a college roommate I haven't seen in awhile. Smile. And I love your art! I'm been slacking. Will have to start churning out the Christmas cards for seniors starting about now. Sigh. I'm camping today, last day for the summer. I am so not ready for winter.

DeniseinVA said...

Loving your artwork Jeanie, and this super post. Great to meet up with friends. Thanks for sharing all these pretty sights.

Sandi Magle said...

How could one not be inspired to paint with nature around you, like that...! I wish I could be outside more, but the hornets and bees are so aggressive right now, I have to lock myself on the screen porch! Hugs, Sandi

Shari Burke said...

We used to go by a field of sunflowers every day in Fairbanks--beautiful! How special to have the butterfly visits. All of your art is great, but my most favorite is the last one of the flowers in the vase. I particularly love that one! Hope you're having a lovely week!

Bill said...

Sunflowers, friends and beautiful art, what a great time you had. Have a lovely rest of the week, Jeanie.

anno said...

You are like those butterflies, friend: lively, graceful, and definitely rocking the color wheel! Love those sunflowers, all that gorgeous artwork, visits with friends, etc. Hope you're enjoying a wonderful week!

jeanie said...

Gorgeous sunflowers - a favourite of mine. Thank you for the reminder.

Rita said...

Found you and got caught up on your posts! Always love to see your art and the beautiful surroundings at the lake. Just popping in. Blogger has been a nightmare!

Linda Sue said...

You are a good girl...your reward is sunflowers and butterflies and good friends. I would say that is pretty peachy!

Nancy said...

Sunflower fields and butterflies along with your beautiful art! You gals had a wonderful time!

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Good friends, beautiful art. How wonderful ❤️ 😊

Priscilla King said...

The main problem with Blogspot has been that the blogroll isn't displaying properly. I've had to go into the "Manage Blogs" page to see the whole list and click on each active blog, by ones, to see who's posted anything each day. Then Google wonders why people end up with 1470 tabs open in one window...Anyway, thank you for documenting the butterflies! Linked!

Barwitzki said...

Sunflower fields always make my heart leap... that’s when summer is at its peak :-)))
And yes, a happy get-together with friends is a must.
Your art camp—absolutely wonderful... you created something beautiful.
Warm regards and thanks for taking us along.
Viola

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

My daughter-in-law worked at her first news station in Traverse City, and we decided to visit Traverse City last week while we stayed with our son and daughter-in-law. Michigan is beautiful! Thank you for sharing these butterfly photos and the sunflower photos especially!

roentare said...

It is wonderful how simple pleasures—the beauty of the countryside, a long lunch, and the company of good friends—can create such genuine and lasting happiness.

Alexandra said...

Jeanie you shared another joy-filled story! I truly enjoy seeing your beautiful art! Isn't there something wonderful about getting lost in a painting project!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Oh, those butterflies are gorgeous! I have been puzzled by the lack of butterflies around our place this year. We haven't seen nearly as many as usual.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, those sunflowers are amazing !! LOVE. Dawn P.

Dicky Bird said...

I love the sunflowers. The Monarchs are out and out strong this fall. Your art is very nice!

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, those sunflowers would stop me in my tracks! They are gorgeous and there is something about sunflowers that always make me smile. The monarchs are giving you a show. I hope they come our way in October. I love the beautiful art work from your art camp. This is a lovely post!

Lowcarb team member said...

This post just oozes happiness . . . I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Thank you.

All the best Jan

Nicole said...

What great photos of the butterflies!!

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

Pretty flowers and happy faves. The butterfly photos are wonderful. I see a painting in the future. Lovey paintings too. English countryside?

-Soma

Prims By The Water said...

There use to be a sunflower farm near my moms. Not sure if it there anymore. I call them my happy flower. As usually the art work is amazing! Janice

Carol On The Lake said...

Flowers & butterflies with your art make this an outstanding post! Great photos.

Debbie said...

wow, wow, wow...all of those views made me smile inside. the sunflowers are gorgeous. we usually visit the sunflower farms this time of year, but this year, i am not able...so i really enjoyed yours. outstanding captures of the monarchs, i saw a lot this year and i think they are really making a comeback!! i agree, time spent with friends is so comforting and it makes the heart smile!! that's a great picture of the 3 of you girls!! and ps, your pictures are outstanding...i had to say it again!!

Shiju Sugunan said...

What a wonderful post! I love the vibrant sunflowers, butterflies and the peek at your lovely watercolor/craft projects.

nicole orriens said...

I love those sunflowers, and I totally understand they make you happy. They're so beautify and sunny.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Yes, the mornings are starting to feel like fall, although the daytime temperatures are still more like July than September. Many Monarchs are being seen here, too. Always encouraging.

Kathylorraine said...

Gorgeous nature photos, and enjoyed seeing the are-hugs

Boud said...

There's a field of sunflowers near here, and you have to drive past at the right time of day to see them from the road. Wrong time and they're facing the other way, almost invisible.

Joanne said...

The sunflower fields are gorgeous! Even if they are a bit blurry your butterfly photos are lovely too. Look at you keeping up with your watercolor work. I've had a blank page/canvas staring at me for nearly a week now... I really MUST get to it.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Lovely art! And such wonderful photos of those monarch butterflies. I used to see them all the time when I was growing up on the prairies. It's been YEARS since I've seen one in real life now.

Carola Bartz said...

I love this post, Jeanie! It's so full of joy, smiles and color. It does show the good side of life and that we should live in the moment. Like those butterflies - I would have taken dozens of pictures, too. Too beautiful to pass by. And good friends - always wonderful. Your art is so beautiful, I especially love the Cotswold houses.

DVArtist said...

Well I wrote a comment and didn't publish it. Duhhh.. This is a brilliant post with some of the things that make you happy. The make me happy too. The sunflowers and butterflies are so pretty. You and your friends always have a happy time together and your art is absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing it all with FFO and have a lovely weekend.

Rostrose said...

Dear Jeanie,
I understand so well why sunflowers and butterflies make you so happy. They are simply beautiful and lovely, without being vain or having an ulterior motive—they just make the soul smile.
Oh wow, and your paintings radiate such good vibes! How wonderful that you practically brought your art camp home with you—to your lovely spot by the window!
All the best from Austria 🤗 - hugs & happy weekend!
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/09/sommerliche-tage-ein-bunter.html

Granny Sue said...

I do love your art! That row of houses reminds me of Cornwall and Ireland.
Monarchs and sunflowers! Heaven.

Sherry's Pickings said...

I love your artwork Jeanie. and how gorgeous are those sunflowers and of course the butterflies and flowers.

Sami said...

Sunflowers are just gorgeous and such feel good flowers. Love the photos of the butterflies on the purple flowers and your art pictures. Have a good weekend Jeanie.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Your post has made me smile.!! Sunflowers, butterflies, and your wonderful art- Love it all.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Butterflies, friends, sunflowers. What more could one want! Happy FFO.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jeanie
I love your Monarch butterflies, I have not seen many of them this season. Your photos and paintings are all lovely. Sunflowers are a favorite of mine, they are a cheery sight to see. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The vase with flowers is a beautiful work of art! And what amazing photos you took of the butterflies. They just won't stay still! haha! Sweet hugs, Diane

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, such happy and very beautiful times!!!

Chrissy T said...

Oh, those butterflies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And sunflowers. Such beauty! I love the art!! I want the leaves with that bridge. LOL! I love that. So pretty!

Polly said...

Happiness - good friends, sunflowers, butterflies, and a delightful favourite spot. Your art is good too 😊

Steve Reed said...

A wonderful late-summer post! Our sunflowers are coming to an end here. I assume those are fairy lights in the photo of your favorite spot, but they kind of look like sparklers!

Miss Merry said...

Sunflowers, Butterflies, Flowers, Friends and Lunch. That sounds like paradise!

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I love those sunflowers. We had a privately owned field up where I use to live that planted them every couple of years and I so enjoyed riding by them. You can't help but feel uplifted by them.

DVArtist said...

Your smile is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing this happy post with SITAR. Have a nice Sunday.

Gillena Cox said...

Luv the art, luv the photos. Happy Sunday

Much love

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love the vase you painted and the Castle Combe. Happy SITAR.

Mariama said...

What a beautiful post, the sunflowers are gorgeous :)

Lisa's Yarns said...

I love sunflowers so much! Some years there are fields of sunflowers on my drive to my parents and I sometimes stop to take photos because they are just such a gorgeous site to behold! I love how they shift during the day as they are always turning towards the sun! I love seeing butterflies, too. The boys learn so much about them in elementary school since they are a pretty amazing animal/concept - to think that a caterpillar becomes a beautiful butterfly is pretty incredible/hard to wrap your mind around!

thecuecard said...

What pretty paintings and flowers. I like your favorite spot by the Lake, enjoy!

French Ethereal said...

Fun recap, Jeanie! Happily sharing your post at this week's Share Your Style #515. Love those butterflies, especially "Gotta fly!" Glad you and the Cork Poppers had a fun time eating out!!

Hugs,
Barb :)

crackercrumblife said...

This post is filled with so much that I love! Sunflowers and butterflies and art! I have been painting more, slowly trying to learn and it has been fun. I am not good, but I am enjoying it. LOL. Your art is wonderful! I love the very first one the best.

Popular Posts