When I came back from the lake earlier this month, it was to head to some appointments and enjoy some time at home (if you call looking at the house that needs to be downsized and putting away much of a summer's worth of stuff enjoying!)
But it was also a treat to spend some time with far-away friends. Rick (below) and Zara live in California, but have family roots and friends in town. Fortunately, we were able to connect for a lovely lunch.
Then my friend Jerry, who lives in Paris and is visiting family in Detroit, came up for the day. After kicking around for a bit, we headed to Rick's where he served up a great BBQ chicken dinner.
Needless to say, it's always good to see Jerry, who is one of my oldest friends, since sophomore year in college when our theatre company toured Michigan's Upper Peninsula during our spring break. We've stayed friends ever since and there are always many happy times and memories to share.
I finally got to the tomatoes I brought home from the lake and made some pasta sauce to freeze (and some I used that night on a chicken marinara, which I do not recommend). Unfortunately, due to scheduling, I didn't get on it right away and lost a good many tomatoes, but still ended up with two generous frozen packets of sauce and the chicken recipe, so no complaints.
On the not-so-good side, I had some oral surgery, with an extraction that was a little more complicated than expected and involved a bone graft. The next step is a bridge, which I'm not looking forward to. I swear, they used every one of those instruments and more on me! And laughing gas does NOT make you laugh!
After, I asked to see the tooth. I thought about showing you the photos -- it was the root, crown and the visible decay. (Let it be said here that I take very good care of my teeth, but apparently, not good enough!) I rethought that! Even with the gas and novocaine, it was worse than the installation of my pacemaker (when I woke up too early). It's also left me with quite a bruise on my chin and jaw. They tell me the initial pain/discomfort will ease in another week or so, but full healing with the bone graft is several months. I'm already sick of yogurt and mashed potatoes!
Adding insult to injury, the night I got home, both toilets in the house overflowed. After clean-up, I headed down to Rick's for the night! He knew a good plumber who came the next day.
Let me say how grateful I am to Rocky and his magical snake that unplugged something somewhere and got things flowing again!
I don't really go full-fall till October, but I did get a few early fall things out -- some autumn wreaths, non-Halloweenie pumpkins, the chickens, that sort of thing.
It feels good to get some of that going.
And, I booked tickets for an October trip to Stratford to see "Something Rotten" (again) and "The Importance of Being Earnest."
I'll soon have a photo of Rick's room re-do. I'm waiting for the drapes to arrive!

3 comments:
That surgery subs awful and two simultaneous overflows on top of it is just too much. Glad you had overnight accommodations and a quick fix.
Oh, I hear you on the teeth, I have issues as well, in spite of more frequent than normal cleanings and dental care. Those tomatoes look delicious!!
Yet another health issue! They never seem to give you a break. But you keep going cheerfully anyway, go you!
Post a Comment