Biggest sigh. Another art camp wrapped up. Of course, the art doesn't stop and neither does the fun. Yet it remains one of my favorite events of the year. And yes, we're all worn out!
Years ago, I did this version of a gate in Giverny near Monet's house. I did three in gouache and one in color pencil and thought "maybe I'm better now," so I did it in watercolor. Here they are in my journal from 2016.
I'm not sure if it was better or not -- just different. I need to go back and revisit that gate. It was a bear to do and I still don't like it!
Kate's been working on new pieces for her calendar and they are very complicated!
Here are the California poppies to date. Each blade of grass a brush stroke.
And another piece was a trio of tomatoes.
That's nearly done, too!
I took to my travel photos for another, this time a village in the Cotswolds. (I think it was Bibury but I can't recall for sure!)
I wasn't traveling too far from home for this! In the hotel we stayed at for my birthday, there was a lovely painting on the wall of birches in fall. It inspired me to do my own version. (I prefer to think of it as inspiration rather than just more or less copying it!)
And, a few more cards.
Being at the lake means enjoying what is around. At the farm market I bought these two allium plants with tiny purple balls. They attracted quite a crowd!
I loved it when both butterflies came. Some of those were a tad fuzzy due to depth of field and motion, but I can't resist sharing them. (I edited down to -- well, too many -- from about 140 pix!)
Oh, to have wings and just fly! (I wonder if AC's AI program could clear up the blur?)
Of course, we had our end-of-camp happy hour at my favorite restaurant.
Even the wine was colorful!
And then, it was off to home. On the highway, we passed four or five fields of sunflowers in the median. I thought of Tom and his Sunday barn posts with this one! (It was taken going about 75 mph down the freeway, through the windshield, from the passenger's side!)
Till next time!
NOTE: If you are into books and missed my August book wrap-up, you can find it HERE!
Sharing with: Talking About It Tuesday

54 comments:
...you sure have talent, I will let my camera do my art for me. Wishing a wonderful new week.
What beautiful artwork! Each piece is so unique and gorgeous. It sounds like it was a fun camp. I love that you do it every year.
Love the watercolors especially the last gate you posted ... looks amazing! Sorry to hear your art camp is over .... I enjoyed seeing your work.
Such a beautiful post- I really enjoyed it hugs
Jeanie, even though you were unhappy with the gate watercolor, I really liked it. And the Cotswolds cottages were lovely too. I remember seeing lots of monarch butterflies years ago in NJ and VA, but not so many here in the city.
Write me a quick email my friend. I have a question to ask you! Sweet hugs, Diane
Jeanie, I love the watercolor of the Cotswold village, perfectly lovely! Art camp must be loads of fun. The photos of the monarchs are beautiful! Have you ever painted a monarch? Enjoy your week!
How wonderful that you have an Art Camp with your friend. Your paintings are beautiful!
I enjoyed seeing your Monarchs. I have a monarch story for you on my blog post tomorrow. And how about all those sunflowers! Gorgeous!
Hope you had a lovely Labor Day.
I can’t deblur. I did ask AI if it would do that on that one photo that I had, and it did help. But that is AI and not really a part of normal photo editing.
Jeanie, having art camp time with a good friend looks so delightful! I love to watch watercolor artists paint on instagram reels and your could rival many of them with your beautiful watercolor scenes from your trips. It has been many years since I've attempted aet--I used to love to sketch and watercolor way back in high school and even attempted a few acrylic paintings. Maybe someday I'll get brave and pick up the brush again.
You have such a good time! Great fun with paints.
Wow! So much beautiful art. I'm very impressed. What a wonderful time you and your friend has with art camp. A great way to spend the best time.
These are nice paintings, Jeanie. I especially like the California Poppy. wow, two butterflies visited the flowers! That is such a wonderful first photo. That's a neat picture of the yellow field and the red barn too. I wish you a wonderful September week, Jeanie. When will you be leaving the lake to return home?
Lovely photos and beautiful paintings, Jeanie. You have tremendous talent. 👏
Gorgeous work!
Beautiful artwork, you are both so talented.
Love your artwork Jeanie, every piece is a pure delight. Your art camp sounds like a lot of fun. So very nice you had such a good time and thank you for sharing the experience with us.
What a lovely event you have created for yourself! I enjoyed all the art, but I'm particularly taken by the colorful plumed bird on the thank-you card. Fun!
Challenging but fun, I am sure. And if there’s wine at the end, who’s to complain?
Art camp sounds great, and it looks like you were busy. I enjoyed seeing all your art. I love how you did that gate so many ways. It fun to keep working at it until you nail it, isn't it? I do that in my daily journal until I get down how I want to draw certain things. This was another fun post. Don't you wish you could have art camp multiple times a year? hugs-Erika
Wow! You are so talented!
Another successful year of art camp! I enjoyed seeing all the work you & Jan created, and especially the Cotswold pieces. Regardless of any frustrations you had while painting that gate, the overall effect is of a lovely English garden. After years of seeing your work in various stages, I'm finally starting to appreciate how strategic you have to be when creating watercolor projects!
Amazing monarch butterflies -- if you'd told me they were garden ornaments, I'd have believed you! So perfectly set off by those gorgeous alliums.
I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the paintings
Your painting of the gate is beautiful! It makes me think of the book The Secret Garden.
Hello Jeanie,
I always enjoy seeing your art work, they are all beautiful.
I love the butterflies and your sweet Lizzie.
The field of sunflower and barn is a lovely photo.
Take care, have a great day!
What a wonderful event to look forward to and enjoy each year! I love the gate in all its manifestations.
Your talent is amazing. I think your gates look great!
Having a BFF by the water..Paints....Paper.A great holiday! Lovely artwork ladies!
A fun way to spend with a girlfriend. I think the gate is fabulous. Enjoying a glass of wine together is wonderful
The paintings are all just marvelous. Janice
I want to go to Art Camp!
Hi Jeanie! I like all your gate painting versions, as well as the village. I don't usually paint architectural pieces, so I probably should do it more. I love your shots of the monarch butterflies. They come through Del Rio around October, and are usually all over my backyard, but last year we only got a few. Cheers, my friend!
Postcards from the lake, where the art camp comes alive. Simply beautiful creative art!!
Oh dear, I started a comment but lost it...don't you hate when that happens? Anyway, I was saying that your art camp is inspirational and is a yardstick of your painting progress. Another thing I mentioned was, we are so highly critical of our own work, (which is just the way we are) but as so many of your readers can attest, you are good Jeanie, really good and the dreaded gate looks perfect as well as your aspens and village and cards. Kate also has some very pretty paintings. I would say your art camp is a wonderful time to relax and paint and enjoy your friendship and a glass of wine here and there doesn't hurt either.
The monarchs on your purple allium puffs are beautiful. I could watch them for hours and sometimes do if they flutter closely to where I am sitting in the Secret Garden. Several years ago, I posted of black swallowtail butterflies devouring my herb basket first as little eggs on the underside of leaves then as yellow and green caterpillars,, then as chrysallis before finally emerging as wet and limp butterflies. I was glad to sacrifice my herbs for their birthing staging process and captured much of it in photos taken daily. Isn't God amazing in His creation of everything on this earth? Have a wonderful week my friend!🥰
I love all your art pieces so very much. There always feels like a touch of whimsy to me. A field of sunflowers is a joy to behold. And alliums and butterflies are so very special. I just bought some gouache paints to try out once I get back to painting. I have a feeling I will like the vibrancy of the paints in comparison to regular watercolors.
I use what Adobe gives me. I forget what it is called -- maybe Firefly. But I have used Google, and works well.
i think your paintings are really lovely. i see slight difference but could never say one is better than the other, you girls look great!! butterflies love allium plants!!
I love both of your paintings and you are both so talented! I do love that barn photo and that would make a great painting.
I adore alliums :-) I love the way you create in such different styles, from the artwork like the gate and the village, to the more whimsical paintings on the cards--all a joy to look at. I'm glad you had another lovely art camp full of creativity, fun, friendship, and now, memories.
Your and your friend's postcards are so pretty. Love those photos of the alliuns and butterflies. Fields of sunflower...stunning! Have a great week Jeanie.
You two always have a great time at Art Camp.
Lovely post, lovely photographs...especially the alliums and butterflies.
All the best Jan
I enjoy your art posts so much. You two are so creative and talented
Both of you are admirable and so inspiring!
You both made some really lovely artwork! Art camp sounds like the most fun week of the summer to me.
Your watercolors are absolutely beautiful and that scene of the village is amazing. What a wonderful way to paint together and enjoy your time together too. You are both so talented. I enjoyed seeing everything.
I envy your art came. So much creative juices flowing.
Cathy
Your paintings are amazing.
Love the gate! Well done ! Pretty Allium… I don’t know that I’ve ever seen that much altogether
Mmm, GARLIC! Your Monarch butterflies have good taste!
Your paintings and cards are just beautiful, Jeanie. What a lovely time.
Better or different, both a stunning!
What delightful artwork, it’s so lovely to see what both of you have accomplished at art camp…beautiful….and love the photography, too. I know you made lots of happy memories, thanks for sharing. xox, Virginia
Your watercolors have such charm.
I loved the Cotswold village piece and the sunflower photo from the highway --what a perfect end‑of‑camp send‑off.
Wow you are both so talented. I love that you have this tradition established. I know the weather did not cooperate this year but it still looks like a fun and successful camp!
Post a Comment