Life at the lake moves peacefully and at its own gentle pace. I find myself gradually and gently sinking into a sense of peace, calm and yes, even ease. The routine is not that much different than at home in some ways. Up early, give Lizzie her meds, check in online with mail and the daily New York Times games, then look at blogs, feed Lizzie, more online and then time to be productive.
That includes watering the plants and herbs. I ended up bringing the rest of the potted plants from home to keep them from certain death if I left them behind again. There are more geraniums in the back yard.
Productivity. That's a loaded word. What is productivity, anyway? These days, I think most would call what I'm doing less than productive! Reading a book? Doing a bit of art? Running to the farm market? All more relaxing and fun than productive. But then, who said having fun or relaxing couldn't be counted as productive time. Self care. Yes, I like that!
I was having breakfast on the porch the other morning. Late breakfast. Suddenly, I heard whooping and hollering from a boat in the middle of the lake, right in front of the house. Naturally I got the binoculars and saw this!
Then I got the camera!! I had no idea we had fish this big in our lake. And in Dad's old fishing hole!
My dad loved fishing. If he wasn't on the trout stream, he was casting his line from the shore (we are on a drop-off) or out in the boat, trolling in front of the house. He had a lot of luck catching fish. But he never saw one like that!
My cousin David is here for a week or so and for a few days, his son Joe was here too. I have fond memories of Joe as a little boy up here.
Now, he's a handsome man. We had a wonderful dinner together on their first night. I know the schedule will be tight during his visit. It's David's annual friends week, when a group of his buddies come up for the week.
David and I were noting how much the beach had changed over time. When we were in our 20s, their beach (which is now about four feet of sand) was large.
Now, there was barely room for Aiden to play.
The tables have turned. Ours used to be much smaller. No more. Let's just say it took a long time to rake that beach today! Our neighbor had it tilled and I wanted to rake out what I could of the weeds that went down under. It looks pretty good!
I've done a little bit of art. Not a ton. I'll have more of that soon, but for now, a little bunny in the sketch book.
And this is a portrait of The Marmelade Gypsy from a photo I took eons ago.
There have been a couple of wildlife sightings too. The geese are in force. I counted 103 in this group, and that might have been an undercount, as some blocked others from the sight lines.
Han Solo continues to return. The lonely duck. Earlier I saw who may or may not have been Han with babies. But then, I've also seen the eagle. I don't want to think about it.
And finally, a sighting of Harry North. It was a fast and lucky shot! It was good to see him back!
Finally, Rick has arrived in South Carolina for his trade show. On the way down he stopped at Ohiopyle state park in Pennsylvania for a long ride and later went to see his aunt, Becky, in Maryland. He said his ride was one of his best and it was good to see Becky again.
I'll save him a sunset.
Sharing with: Talking About It Tuesdays / Share Your Style / Friday Face-Off / Sunday in the Art Room (SITAR) / Love Your Creativity



Wow on the size of that fish and great art. As for the maters, Cherokee Purple? Cherokee are the UGLIEST maters but the taste...amazing
ReplyDeleteWhatever being productive is, I think you've got a very good summer thing going on.
ReplyDeleteLovely artwork! Wonderful family photos. Precious moments. :) Your lake house is beautiful!
ReplyDelete...Jeanie, the blue on your cottage is almost perfect match of the blue that many Amish use on their doors. Enjoy your special time at the lake.
ReplyDeleteFor some reason I always love pictures of trails; so really like your last picture. How lovely to have family nearby to remanence with lake memories. Your first pictures, I said Jeanie must have brought the plants from her house with this trip. Love the bunnie painting. Wow! that is a huge fish.
ReplyDeleteJeanie,
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by!! I like your kind of productive... Sometimes I think I am way too busy but I think it is good for me at this moment in time...August is coming and it is not a good month for my family.... Love the picture you got of that huge fish!! WOWZA!! I can't believe that we are going into August already...I hope you get to enjoy more time at the lake...Your morning routine does sound very similar to mine...
Hugs,
Deb
Debbie-Dabble Blog
That fish is huge!!!
ReplyDeleteI love the bunny painting and the Marmalade Gypsy painting. I would call making those productive!
Summer is good. I always enjoy your family stories and pictures. That fish is a monster! I wonder how old it is.
ReplyDeleteThat's a really big fish! I found it so interesting how you're slowly starting to feel calm and peaceful when you're there and I was wondering: is that the effect of the environment? Of is it the idea of having vacation? And could you get the same sense of calm at your 'regular' home, you think? I'm curious about this, because I'm always searching for calmness and peace of mind ; )
ReplyDeleteGood to know Rick is at his destination. Fun photos from the lake and I love your artwork. The color of those tomatoes intrigued me. I will keep a look out for those. How nice to see your family photos, old and new. Have a great week Jeanie.
ReplyDeleteGreat memories and photos from the lake.
ReplyDeleteThat fish is huge, love the geese video.
Your art work is beautiful.
Great photos of your house and the beach.
Take care, have a great day!
I absolutely agree - taking care of yourself is productive!
ReplyDeleteWow, that sure is some huge fish. Weird about the beach, but awww, cute art! The Marmelade Gypsy must´ve been a very, very calm and friendly cat!
Hihi, Han Solo! Have fun at the lake.
I wish I was out on the water catching fish instead of being next to the water working on my boats -- being productive in this heat is a bit of a struggle. I don't mind, really, since my goal is to get caught up by the end of August or early September, and then take some time in October for your kind of 'productivity.' Mine, of course, will involve roaming with the camera rather than fishing, but if I catch some good images, that'll be great.
ReplyDeleteIs that big fish a catfish? It looks like it has whiskers!
Productivity is what you want it to be. Sometimes just sitting and chatting is the most productive time of all.
ReplyDeleteWhat a catch that was! I loved it when my grandson use to fish off our dock. He had so much fun then. So love both the bunny and your sweet Marmalade Gypsy. You always do great work and very productive. Janice
ReplyDeleteJeanie, I believe every day is productive...some just more so than others. Each day we wake up with breath in our lungs is a good thing these days and our memories...how beautiful are they? Your lake is so relaxing and peaceful, a welcome retreat and to be able to watch the goings on such as a big fish catch or the geese honking to each other on the lake....and of course the eagle and ducks is watching nature at its best. So glad you also have family nearby while Rick is on his biking adventure. I also love the gypsy...so beautiful and your artistry is so lovely. Have a wonderful and blessed day my friend. Kari @ Me and My Captain
ReplyDeleteI have no true idea of what fish he caught but quite a haul.My boys love it..my dad did too..That's sad about the beach.. 4 ft..:(I cannot believe Rick's bike rides!
ReplyDeleteYour daily routine sounds perfectly relaxing, something I could get very used to. As far as sturgeon go, I bet that there are a lot bigger ones than that one in your lake. That is a nice one though, probably 25+ years old.
ReplyDeleteThat fish is pretty large. I wonder if they will keep it or release. My son loves fishing and does catch and release. I used to fish when the kids were little. I could out fish the whole family. Always fun to see the wildlife. Being productive is whatever you please. Enjoy your summer.
ReplyDeleteI do love the peace of the cottage. One can down size for a time and relax.
ReplyDeleteI've never had a lake house, but from all I've ever read or heard, you are "using" yours in quite the best way.
ReplyDeleteThat fish is crazy! I've never seen anything like it. Google says it is a lake sturgeon. Way too big for Harry to handle! Glad Rick got to SC and had a good trip down there.
ReplyDeleteIt's pretty incredible to see the changes at the lake through your photos. A friend was over yesterday and we were chatting about going back to places that used to be home and how different the place and the person are now. He's 82 and spent decades in London, both as a child and as an adult with his wife. He says it feels so strange now and rarely goes back, even though places and buildings he remembers are still there. I don't really have any experience of a place that felt like a childhood home in that sense. The closest thing was Nana's house, but when she died, the property was sold, everything torn down, the ground was levelled, and these awful overpriced ($750,000 at the time, which was almost 20 years ago) houses were being built. There was no trace of her or the place I used to think of as my safe space. But that felt right somehow. I have my memories of her and her place and I treasure them. Anyway, that was a bit of a ramble. I'm really glad that you're enjoying your time at the lake! Long may it continue! And glad Rick's trip is going so well, too.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos and gorgeous art.
ReplyDeleteThe fish is huge and must have been quite the challenge to pull him in. Lovely art, love the big rabbit and the cat. You aren't having a problem being productive, you are mastering your lake time, now that is being productive. :) Have a wonderful week.
ReplyDeleteI never saw tomatoes like that!! Good fishing!! Cute Bunny..So Rick was in Ohiopyle..We used to go White water rafting there in the Youghiogheny River gorge...Beautiful area..Tons of history!!
ReplyDeleteWell my dear friend take all the ease and gentleness that your life has to give you. I love your lake house and the wonders of it all. Fishing is so much fun!!!!! That was a great catch. Yes, David is a handsome man. Glad he is visiting you. I do love your rabbit. That is just too cute. Great job on the cat too. Have the best Tuesday.
ReplyDeleteIt must be nice to have David staying ...does he come often?
ReplyDeleteHello Jeanie :)
ReplyDeleteI loved seeing all your family photos, and it's nice to have some as neighbors. You seem to have settled into your calm easygoing time by the lake. Good job with the paintings both are well done, and that is being productive. What a huge fish the man caught, and kudos to your father who used to catch salmon,. Lovely evening shots of the lake. It looks so peacefull and enjoyed seeing the video of all those geece. Enjoy the rest of your stay.
All the best
Sonjia.
Hello Jeanie :)
ReplyDeleteI loved seeing all your family photos, and it's nice to have some as neighbers. You seem to have settled into your calm easygoing time by the lake. Good job with the paintings both are well done, and that is being productive. What a huge fish the man caught, and kudos to your father who used to catch salmon,. Lovely evening shots of the lake. It looks so peacefull and enjoyed seeing the video of all those geece.
Your screened in porch looks so inviting. That is one big fish, wow! The differences in the beaches is astonishing. Glad you're having a peaceful time!
ReplyDeleteJeanie, self care is productive. Wow, that fish was a large one. I love seeing the photo of your dad. My sweet Daddy loved to fish and Mother would fry them along with hush puppies. It was always so delicious. Love seeing your art work, especially the Marmalade Gypsy. Enjoy these last days of July!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you're having a perfect time at the lake. My though I really can't believe how much the beachfront has shrunk! That fish is a big one. Nice catch for the fisherman.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos! From a big man/daddy holding a fish to a little boy with his shovel, they are delightful.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely glimpse into lakeside life, where fishing, gardening, family visits, and even a little beach raking become meaningful forms of rest, connection, and joyful productivity.
ReplyDeleteYour house at the lake is paradise. For real. The memories and the new memories - it is a piece of heaven.
ReplyDeleteSummer productive sounds exactly like your days at the lake. Self-care is always very important, so why do we end up ignoring it so often. Well I do. And you have some good books to read. Perfect for the hot weather. Company, good stories and lots of you time, perfect. And I like your view of the porch and all the plants too. Enjoy. hugs-Erika
ReplyDeleteWhat a magical place you have there -- especially one laden with so many wonderful memories. So glad to see you enjoying it all... (love your bunny painting and the portrait of The Gypsy)
ReplyDeleteI love all your writings and art work. {lease keep the Marmalade Gypsy coming!
ReplyDeleteLovely art! Isn't summer wonderful?-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteWow, Jeanie -- that fish is a monster!
ReplyDeleteLove your bunny sketch and Marmalade Gypsy portrait.
Lake days sound wonderfully peaceful and productive.
Beautiful photos as always!
Your time at the lake always feels so peaceful to read about. I smiled at the huge fish, enjoyed seeing your artwork, and it was lovely catching up with everyone through your photos. I also like your thoughts on productivity because slowing down and taking care of yourself is valuable too. Thanks for sharing another glimpse of lake life. If you get a chance, I'd love for you to visit my latest blog post and let me know what you think.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this lovely memories from you cottage. It really is a paradise. But, as you say, when you look back on old photos, the landscape has changed, and mostly in every day life you might not notice it. Still, it is a lovely place also today.
ReplyDeleteSuch a happy place for all of you to be at! I enjoy seeing your artwork. I hope to paint some rocks but first I have to get my gardens under control. They got away from me when it was too hot outside. How about that big fish! Is it a catfish or a sturgeon? We have large carp and muskie in our Lake.
ReplyDeleteAnd taking good care of yourself is being productive!
Enjoy the last few days of July!
Oh, productive. That's something to think about. My dad only got happiness from doing work, actual work. No play, no hobbies---not even reading! He still follows this rule today...though he makes exceptions for conversations, thank goodness.
ReplyDeleteThis push to be productive all the time is really kind of mentally destructive. I am all for taking things slow and enjoying each moment!
ReplyDeleteJeanie I am not sure why my email is not posting for your lovely website, strange things are happening in the cyber world, but it is: karirogersmiller@gmail.com if that helps for reference.🥰 Have a blessed day and I also love your beach front sand and the fact that it has expanded. Our recent hurricanes (3 years ago) have washed away so much of our beachfronts sands on the islands as well...such as Sanabel, Captiva etc;
ReplyDeleteOh wow, that was some fish the family caught! Sounds like lake life is agreeing with you Jeanie, long slow days. That's the way I enjoy the beach trips we take. Rick sure has accomplished a successful bike trip and how nice to get to visit his aunt. I need to think about how I can make self-care productive. Just need to find more time for actually enjoying summer time at home.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy being in your lake home, sounds wonderful!
What a lovely post. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThat sure is a large catfish! I love eating catfish because they’re such a mild tasting fish. We are all productive in our own ways. Playing the NYT games in the morning means I’m starting off my day by being productive for my mind. And I almost always read chapters in a great book.
ReplyDeleteIt looks nice & peaceful by the lake ... except for the hoopla over that major fish, wow! It seems very enjoyable and I love the art you're doing. Interesting how the beach size has changed over the decades. Happy days for you there.
ReplyDeleteAaaannnd that is why I never want to go fishing with my husband. I really don't want to know if anything that big lives in our lake! LOL.
ReplyDeleteI think self care is very good productivity, one of the best actually.
ReplyDeleteThat is a big fish. Did they throw it back into the lake or did it become their dinner? Do you know what kind of fish this is?
Your home at the lake is just lovely. Great to know Rick is doing so well. I think your art is pretty amazing, those two pieces are just terrific. That’s one big fish, bet it comes with some ‘fish tales’…fun to see. Thanks for the visit, Virginia
ReplyDeleteThat fish!!! Holy cow. It is huge! And your Marmalade and my Max do look so similar. Aww.
ReplyDeleteYour summers at the lake sound so idyllic and carefree. :)
That was a huge fish caught at the lake! I bet it tastes good too. Love your art and books - enjoy your summer!
ReplyDeleteWow! That fish looks a very big one!
ReplyDeleteHappy summer wishes at the lake.
All the best Jan
I love your sweet wee bunny art, and also the marvelous portrait of the Marmelade Gypsy! Both are just bursting with personality!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you shared this post with FFO. Thank you and have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteMy parents have so much beach now, too. The water levels have really dropped. There was one summer where they kept having to move the pontoon lift out and it was still hard to get it off the lift. It's not good and I don't see that trend reversing with global warming/hotter summers/drier winters. :( Luckily we have a decent drop off not far off the beach - in other parts of the lake, people have their pontoons/boats WAY far out! It's a first world problem, obviously, but a sign that things are a-changing in terms of weather/rain levels.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait for a time in my life when I don't have to consider how productive I have been! I say throw that word out of your vocabulary - or at least for the most part. You worked hard and diligently for many years. You are in your "shouldless" era now which means much of what fills your time is things you want to do, not so much things you "should" do. Ok, there are always shoulds like laundry, cleaning, meal prep, etc. But hopefully that's a small % of how you spend your retired years!
Your herbs look very healthy. It's always fun to grab an herb when cooking a meal. That fish was HUGE. Glad you got a photo. Loved the bunny and the Marmalade Gypsy painting. Happy FFO.
ReplyDeleteI don't care how many times I see this post, I find something new, beautiful and happy here. Thank you for sharing with SITAR.
ReplyDeleteI find fishing relaxing
ReplyDeleteSo wonderful and positive! Love this post. very summery and your lake house is cozy and wonderful! Enjoy each moment. :)
ReplyDeleteDeus caritas est!
ReplyDelete