The other day was the kind that almost doesn't seem real, it was so perfect. Warm, quite warm, but not hot and not at all humid. There was no breeze, so the lake was as calm as glass and the sky that perfect shade of blue. Everything within view was reflected in that water. Even the ripples you see below weren't there at that moment -- it was that smooth.
The neighbors were elsewhere and being a weekday, the lake was quiet, sound broken only by the occasional fishing boat or gently putting pontoon. It looked just like this, except it was daytime, not sunset!
I decided to go for a swim before the neighbor's return. They have family up -- teens. Nice, but active, out in the water a lot, having fun tubing and just enjoying the summer. Laughing, playful. Just as it should be. I love to watch them -- it reminds me of summers when my cousins and I were at the lake, sometimes with friends from home.
But it is harder to go for a power swim when there's a crowd. And with a lake so smooth, it was the perfect time to do so. So, off I went, doing the first really long swim of the summer, slicing through the water, slowly if not gracefully. I am built for endurance, not speed! I swam around the point to see what the new neighbors had done to my favorite cottage, once owned by best-neighbor-Jim. They appear to have built a wing that looks like a dormitory or the backside of a hotel. (below, then and now with the addition.)
I digress. When I hit our shore on the return, I grabbed my little raft and took a float, kicking out beyond the neighbor's boat ramp, and just lay back, checking out my surroundings.
It was a moment of total peace, total contentment, total perfection.
I searched the sky and the trees on the shore, checking for Eddie the Eagle, to no avail. I looked rather smugly at the tidy beach, knowing full well that those weeds will be back in a few days.
Sometimes I regret that my camera is not waterproof! But there wouldn't be a lens wide enough to capture the mirror-like image of the cottages on the beach reflected in the water or the trees with reflections so tall they seemed to stretch half across the lake. They didn't. But it sure felt that way.
And as I lay on this unmoving raft, I "thought."
~~~~~~
"Don't underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering."
A.A. Milne, "Pooh's Little Instruction Book"
~~~~~
The sounds you can't hear. Yes, I listened to them all. The sounds of our laughter as we too played on the beach, four teens and sometimes friends too, traveling from porch to waterfront as we played cards and games on the porch, then jumped in the lake!
The sounds of the boat as we spent hours on the water, skiing until we were either out of gas or it was time for dinner.
The plop of a fishing lure on the water as my dad dropped his line -- and often came out with an impressive catch.
A giant hose, splashing water on a screen made of hardware cloth as we tried (to no avail) to find my cousin's diamond ring, which had slipped off my finger when I reached into the water to toss her the ski rope. (That was a bad day!)
Just talking, laughing. Sharing life's plans and dreams. Being young with a world open beyond measure.
The discussions of our grands as they built sand castles.
The lapping of the waves on the windier days. And the sounds of the geese, ducks and crows on the water (and the beach!)
Nicole (Huisvleit) wrote in the comments on the last post, "I found it so interesting how you're slowly starting to feel calm and peaceful when you're there and I was wondering: is that the effect of the environment? Of is it the idea of having vacation? And could you get the same sense of calm at your 'regular' home, you think?"
When I retired, people would often say to me, "Isn't every day a vacation?" No. (When you retire, you'll realize that!) There are always things to do -- a house to clean, an appointment to go to, a task to do. And at home, I feel very guilty when I don't do things I should be doing. Slacker!
At the lake there are fewer obligations and little guilt. Yes, keep the house tidy and all, but the cottage is much smaller than the house at home. That's about it when it comes to responsibility. There is no schedule. So it does feel like a vacation. And yes, the environment is a big factor.
Even when there are no voices, there is sound at the lake. Waves lapping, breeze in trees, power boats and fishing boats, neighbor noise, the dreaded "noise boys" -- the hired lawn services who tend the yards on the right and left of me. (My own "noise boy" has a quieter mower and no leaf blower -- and it is only mowed when it needs it -- not once a week, whether you need it or not!)
Cottage noise is a different noise. With the exception of the noise boys, most are sounds of nature or of people having fun. They are good sounds. Sounds I find calming -- perhaps, in part, because they are the sounds of my youth.
As I wrote last time, I sometimes ponder how productive I am when I am at the lake. (And many of you told me I was more productive than I thought. I thank you for that!) But David (Travels with Birds) brought up an interesting point. He said "Productivity is what you want it to be. Sometimes just sitting and chatting is the most productive time of all."
And, sometimes, it is just floating on a raft, on a perfect day or watching memories happen right in front of you.
Sharing with: Share Your Style / Love Your Creativity





Idyllic! Thanks for a long and lovely post!
ReplyDeleteThat seems like a perfect day in a rather perfect time of year up there.
ReplyDeleteSuch a calm and happy musing. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteWhat lovely memories and what a lovely place to spend your summer.
ReplyDeleteI love the water, and I love peace and tranquility. Thank you so much for sharing this. ❤️
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post-hugs
ReplyDelete...some things are difficult to capture with a camera, they are best captured with your mind's eye!
ReplyDeleteA wonderful place to be!
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this Jeanie, stories from yesteryear and today and looking at all the super photos. Thank you! How idyllic it must be to have a quiet swim.
ReplyDeleteWonderful memories. And today seems like it was a perfect day!! Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of being able to swim in a lake. Much nicer than a crowed swimming pool. But aren't you worried you'll get a cramp or something. (I'm always worried about everything...)
ReplyDeleteThe sound of silence is to be treasured. It seldom seems possible in a modern subdivision where air conditioners are running, lawnmowers creating a racket, leaf blowers wielded like noisy offensive weapons, garbage trucks clattering up the road - and so on. Treasure the tranquility while you may.
ReplyDeleteLovely post full of good memories and peace
ReplyDeleteHello Jeanie,
ReplyDeleteGreat post and I enjoy seeing your lake photos past and present.
The geese are cute. You have many happy memories at the lake and now you are making new memories. The lake looks beautiful. Take care, Happy Friday! Have a great weekend.
Your lake life is the perfect remedy to calm the soul. I so enjoy your posts from the lake. It's simply beautiful, Jeanie.
ReplyDeleteThis is such a wonderful post, dear Jeanie. "My" T (ex-teamleader, now friend, always dreamed of living by a lake - I hope he manages soon (his girlfriend has a house in the country)
ReplyDeleteIngo and I once were in Cancun by the ocean - you could hear the waves, it was just wonderful.
And oh, to go for a swim. And those sweet memories you shared!
Not retired, but on hold and yes, so much to do (I start bit by bit).
To perfect days! Enjoy your Summer - we had two nice evenings with: ho-ho: a shared small bottle of sparkling wine on the balcony! SUMMER!
You very obviously are spending the summer in a place of happy memories, Jeanie, and continue to make more every day.
ReplyDeleteThe surrounding environment is so important. I agree with David, too. I always feel a sense of quiet peace when I read your posts from the lake, and I smile thinking of how wonderful it is that you get to spend part of your year in this place that brings you so much joy. May you continue to find peace and contentment there for a long time to come.
ReplyDeleteI love this post.So beautifully written and expressed with your words.I know that feeling Utter peace..I know reminiscing..Mostly about our grands little ..Seeing young men now I still see them here and there in moments of much younger boys .I see myself much younger and see how fast the last 25 yrs have gone by.All your pics Jeanie..A treasure.
ReplyDeleteBeing at your cottage seems like an escape from reality! Your memories of days gone by bring back a simpler feel to life. Your photos are lovely and your words draw me in and I feel a calming effect. If you have an iPone, you can get a waterproof pouch for it. You could hook it to your swimsuit somehow and take clear panorama shots through the waterproof casing. I do that when I go kayaking.
ReplyDeleteI felt total peacefulness reading and looking at the photos in your post. For me, as i have been retired for a mere 6 years, i pick "a chore of the day" and get it done early in the day. So by lunchtime I can do whatever my heart desires....quilt, cross stitch, read...PEACE! So happy you are enjoying such a peaceful summer!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a perfect day. And I can really appreciate why my husband wants to keep his mother's house in family because he has all those kinds of memories too. And I can appreciate why you don't feel as relaxed at home, because I too feel like I should be doing something "productive". But I like David's comment about productivity. And the idea that retirement is like a vacation...well you are right about that also; it is not always relaxing because you feel like you should be doing things around the house. Well there are always things to do and although you don't have to work and your schedule is more or less yours, it's not like a vacation, being away and not looking at the project that needs to get done. And feeling guilty if you don't do it...Well this has been a rambling comment. Sorry for that but your post brought so many thoughts to mind. Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy! hugs-Erika
ReplyDeleteHi Jeanie...I, too have been in this 'mode of memories' lately...It seems to happen in the quiet moments...when I am at rest. I find myself sipping on my hot (or iced cold) tea and remembering the happy and joyous times of years (many years) past. Sometimes like you and the ring incident, the memories were full of apprehension, concern and even dread...but as I look back, I can laugh and/or smile at either my growth in maturity or my simple ignorance as a child. Not surprisingly, food and holidays played an important part in many of those memories.... much like your fun with family and friends at the lake memories. I floated with you as you described your quiet swim and floating leisurely on your lake. Like Bob Hope used to say..."Thanks for the Memories" hugs and blessings always 🥰🏖️🤗
ReplyDeleteThis really conveys how closely you connect with your summers at the lake, and how they rekindle old memories for you. It looks like a very special place.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if someone with an underwater metal detector could find that ring even now?! As for me, I'm detecting that you are not a fan of the addition to Jim's former cottage. :)
Oh my gosh you brought a tear to my eye. How wonderful you had that day and that time to remember. I too grew up on a lake I was lucky enough to be the friend of a girl who had a lake house.
ReplyDeleteYou didn't mention the smell. How I remember the smell of the lake in the morning while we dangled our feet off the dock eating toast.
I think we all for some reason think we have to be working or doing constantly. My time with friends or family doing something I love seems very productive to my soul. Because at that end no one says I wish I had cleaner baseboards.
hugs
Cathy
Beautiful lake memories and photos, Jeanie! When I was growing up in Brooklyn, my dad took us to Coney Island for the day. We'd mix it up between going on some amusement rides and then maybe a hot dog and corn on the cob at Nathan's, but most often we'd spend the day on the beach with hundreds of other people looking for a break from the heat and humidity. My skin is now showing the effects of many summer sun burns...lol...but so many wonderful memories make up for that!
ReplyDeleteYour description of swimming in the lake is brilliant. Your entire post filled with memories of fun, laughter and family. But the quiet part is lovely as well. So glad you had a good day.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely loved your post, Jeanie. Thanks for sharing your beautiful memories, past and present. Continue to enjoy your stay.
ReplyDeleteA lovely post.
ReplyDeleteYour swim sounds wonderful.
Enjoy your weekend, and early good wishes for the new month of August..
All the best Jan
What fun times you must have had!
ReplyDeleteProductivity, it is sometimes just reminiscing....and enjoying the memories...how lovely! Was right there with you...on this, you took me back...!
ReplyDeleteHello Jeanie,
ReplyDeleteYour lake reflections are always such a joy to read. The photos, both past and present, capture the beauty of the water so well. The geese made me smile, and it’s wonderful how the lake holds so many happy memories while you continue to create new ones. Such a beautiful place to spend time. 🌿✨
I love your humble little cottage. Roll up, unload, sweep the floor, enjoy. Meanwhile your neighbour in the monstrosity will have to hire cleaners and grounds keepers....or work almost every minute they are there. I see it happening at the lake just by us. People from away are buying sweet little cottages and demolishing them for huge places.
ReplyDeleteThose old photos are fabulous. I love teens. I think they get a really bad rap. The teen years were delightful - yes, there was angst and sass, but there was also incredible learning and becoming! I loved them.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, as a person who is, I guess, retired. There's always something to do! Life isn't just one big vacation! But I will say that I do forget when there is a long weekend (right now) and other dates of significance, I have to write everything down.
Ahhh.... bliss! Thanks for sharing this -- I think this post brought my blood pressure down by at least 10 points. So glad you enjoyed this perfect, and perfectly lovely, day.
ReplyDeleteA most delightful post, as usual. How lovely you’ve given yourself grace and time to reflect and appreciate. Your cottage is charming and so are the memories and folks that have enjoyed it through time. Thank you for the time travel and joy of the lake. Summer, August First! More joy! xo, Virginia
ReplyDeleteFun time in the summer time.
ReplyDeleteJeanie, this post relaxed me. What joy it must be to have all of your memories of your youth spent at the lake cottage and still enjoy making all of the new memories. I always enjoy your photos especially those from yesterday’s past. Wishing you many peaceful and perfect days in August!
ReplyDeleteI have been thinking about productivity. For my dad, the only important thing is work. My husband and I brought lunch out to him and his wife today, and his yard and his garage were immaculate. I told him that, and he said he spent all day yesterday mowing and taking down a tree! He is 99. Now that's productive!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed this post so much. You remind me to take time to "sits and think". I took feel guilty if I am not always doing something at home, because there is so much to be done. I don't have a getaway place, so I think I need to somehow carve that out, right here at home.
ReplyDeleteSo well described, and your ability to evoke sounds dormant in my memory made this very special. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed reading your escapades at the lake. What wonderful memories you have made there all these years. Janice
ReplyDeleteLoved this! What a way to spend summers, past and present.
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
This is really a nice place to enjoy summer days.
ReplyDeleteHow nice to spend your summer at the lake. I enjoyed looking at the photos and it looks so beautiful and relaxing there. Happy August and enjoy the rest of your time at the lake house.
ReplyDeleteLosing a diamond ring is just horrible! Oh man! But I love the view from your patio. It must be lovely to sit there with Rick and enjoy dining while watching the sunset.
ReplyDeleteYour vacations sound like summer perfection, the way it should be as we are growing up. Love seeing all the photos of your past summer fun days. Mine was a lot like yours, only a different location. We always had our beach vacations and for a while when I was older in my teens we lived only blocks from the gulf. My summers were spent enjoying beach days, quiet, listing to the sound of the waves lapping against the shore and children laughing and playing. Thanks for reminding me of such happy days.Enjoy the last weeks of summer......
ReplyDeleteYou captured the allure of cottage life perfectly. Being closer to nature and all memories of past summers brings a special kind of joy.
ReplyDeleteJust listening to the water lap the shoreline is production. Then spending time with special ones is the icing on the lake time cake. I always wish for your art camp and think how lovely to be able to just do that for however long you wish.
ReplyDeleteGood Morning Sunshine! What a perfect day of reminiscing! My sister and I just chatted about all of our memories here at the Lake while growing up. Lake living is a special kind of life. Enjoy the rest of your time there, dear friend!
ReplyDeleteJeanie, oddly enough, just sitting out front while we are taking breaks between painting or putting screws into Hardie board, listening to the wind and enjoying slight breezes has been so relaxing. It is the summer on the beach or the summer in the pine forests of Lake Tahoe... In a tiny way, those breezes and the summer heat take me back there. I do really miss the sound of ocean waves and smaller lake waves breaking on shore... I hope we can get some of that soon! But for now, I'll take a quiet afternoon with cars going by on the road but quietly (today with the glass door shut and the main front door open). The calm before school begins storm... ;) I'll take what I can get. Love your stories about cousins being there and your dad with you on the beach... I'm glad you enjoyed seeing all the work going on around here. More coming.
ReplyDeleteTake a swim for me,
Barb :)
p.s. Sharing at SYS this evening for you. :)
Enjoy the peace and quiet while you may. It is a luxury that is sometimes unattainable..
ReplyDeleteI loved this so much! Living lakeside year round it's funny but I get these same feelings of calm and nostalgia in the summer. I was just taking photos the other day when we had a really calm morning with all the houses in our cove being perfectly reflected back in the water. I feel so much less guilty letting ALL the household chores slack off and just sitting outside soaking up the sounds of nature. So for me the time of year makes a big difference...
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post, your words describing be a perfect cottage summer. The picture of the table melts the heart.
ReplyDeleteMay
I love that we both have memories of time at the lake with cousins. Those were wilder, more raucous times. Now I go to the lake for stillness. There is still hubbub, especially when my nieces and nephews are there. But there is a calmer vibe. I don’t live there and am always a guest so there’s no pressure to be productive. The goal is to relax and just be. After all, we are human ‘beings’, not human ‘doings’. I have worked hard to shed expectations around productivity but it’s hard in our go go go world + our long to do lists as home owners, partners and for some of us, parents. But there is so much to be gained in letting ourselves just BE! And that’s what you were doing on that swim!
ReplyDeleteI love all the moments your captured not just with your nostalgic photos, but with your beautiful words. Blessings!
ReplyDelete