The Gypsy Caravan 2023

Thursday, July 9, 2026

Postcards From the Lake: Hot and Happy

I promised myself that no matter how hot it got this summer, I would not complain. I would observe, such as "It is SO hot today!" but not complain. So far, so good. Things have "cooled" off to normal summer. After a sticky start, the fun of summer has started!

 

And I suppose if I was going to, last week would have been the week to do it. Everything was hot and sticky. Rick swabbed out the porch and three days later it still hadn't dried and there were wet patches all over the linoleum inside where the condensation just wouldn't dry up. Then there was the rain. I woke to rain coming in on my head from the bedroom window right above it. Well, that and the thunder. Rapidly I brought in all the porch cushions -- I got them right before the deluge. That was our third big rain of the week. One of those storms was so intense and windy that it blew our neighbor's dock into the water. No wonder things wouldn't dry.

 

Fortunately, it stopped at the water. A couple days later, it was put back in place. 

 

Something seems to have happened to our beach. Now when it rains, it seems to get these little ponds in the sand. The water table appears to be very high. What used to be dry sand till one got close to the water is hard and damp. Which makes it cool to the feet but just not as appealing unless you want to build a sand castle.

 

The reflections are rather pretty, though!

 

But then, those days of sitting on the beach waiting for the sun to bake you to a crisp are long past! When it's hot, you go jump in the lake!

 

And when it's hot, you read. I read all 553 pages of "The Marble Hall Murders" in two days. Well, mostly one with a few hours on another. It's that good. I was going to pick something short next and somehow I ended up starting Ken Follett's "Fall of Giants," the first of his Century Trilogy. It's 900 and something. Shoot me now!

 

In other news, we went to Petsokey, about an hour away, to celebrate Cam turning eight. 

 

We decided we didn't want to go in on a family present which was contributing a Nintendo Switch gadget. Rick and I both think kids have too much screen time as is and didn't want to support it. So we found some other fun things. He was especially excited to get a set of Gold Pokeman cards. 

 

Rick had fun pushing the boys around on the tree swing and we all enjoyed a wonderful day.

 

Then Cam got to blow out the candle on the cake he helped bake -- a "Lego" cake! 

 

I finally got out the art supplies. I don't know why I've been somewhat resistant. 

 

I did a sketch of my neighbor's flowers. Not great, but it got me doing something. (Also did a from life portrait of Lizzie sleeping. Let's just say that one isn't ready for prime time!

 

But I did spend some time working on the England journal. If you've read along for a bit, you'll know that after returning from England in 2024, I did a watercolor journal, leaving room for writing on each page. Now I've finally started filling them in.  

Evenings are mellow. We moved a dining table outside so we can eat in the backyard. We enjoy dining on the porch but the sun is so hot and coming right in on us at the time. We've a little table for snacks while we grill.

 

And grilled burgers, brats and chicken are always the best! I love my new sauce brush!

 

And, if the conversation lags, just look up! It's one of my favorite views. 

 

And when it's too hot to eat or you forgot to thaw anything or you really need air conditioning or you left the bag with the brats in it at the grocery store -- you go out!  

We had a quiet outside dinner on July 3 before the fireworks. Pork chops with rice and roasted veggies -- perfect! (Yup. That's the flag hanging from the clothesline!)

 

Then friends of Rick's came over to watch the fireworks. Boats gathered out in the lake in front of a cottage for a ringside seat.

 

Then, Boom! 

 

 As fireworks go, they were pretty good but the finale was pretty blah and anticlimactic. But at least the barge from which they were shot off didn't sink as it had a couple years before!

 

So far, our summer is lovely. I leave you with a favorite view., the view from the porch as the sun goes down. Scrabble or Rummikube on the table, and this as a backdrop.

 

It's good to be back.

Sharing with:   Friday Face-Off  /  Sunday in the Art Room  /  Love Your Creativity        

66 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your idyllic little world! Any chance you have a window air conditioner there? I love that picture of when you were younger - seeing the weaving in the other girl's hand made me think of a little weaving kit I had where I would make round place mats. Keep having a great time at the lake! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always capture the best of cottage life in your postcards from the lake. The things you describe are universe and can fit any decade, any rustic cottage. Some of the cottages that are going up on my family's lake (after taking down the original cottages) are huge and just like regular city houses. Very sad to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weather this summer has certainly been extreme and with unusual winds. What a wonderful cake for Cam. The final photo of the sunset from your porch is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Jeanie
    Cam's cake looks great. All the food looks yummy, pizza is a favorite. Beautiful captures of the fireworks. Love your sketch of the flowers. Enjoy your time at the lake. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe, dear Jeanie, I just noticed your new sauce brush goes perfectly with Cam's "Lego" cake 😊! And your thermometer is nicely colorful too. Your temperatures match ours – because thankfully it's cooled down a bit. Last week we had a heatwave with temperatures almost reaching 40 degrees Celsius / over 100 degrees Fahrenheit 🥵. It was almost impossible to do anything. But being by a lake is perfect, of course – and we also managed to go swimming a few times.
    The thing about the neighbor's dock being blown away by the storm sounds pretty intense! But otherwise, it really looks like you're enjoying the summer – with barbecues, good books, and your painting and England journal look fantastic!
    Hugs & all the best from Austria 🤗
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/06/reisebericht-2025-von-ahornblattern-und.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun cake! Looks like a great birthday party... and a fabulous 4th of July celebration as well (yes, brats & chicken& burgers are the very best -- especially when sauced with a colorful brush). I'm so happy to see you sketching & painting again. As for the heat (and the storms), well, the weather has been really been something this year. So glad you've got the lake nearby for rapid cooling measures...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Climate change is going to be unpredictable and we do not have time to adapt. that is a given. Glad we are escaping heat up here,though some are complaining about that. We awake to wintry temps. I love the cold!
    Always pleased to read about you at the lake for summer, taking out your paints and doing what I so desire to do myself. Another heat dome predicted for the week end, stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...what a fabulous 4th. High 80s and into the 90s is way too hot for this old dude!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sigh….so much to love about this post! Your paintings captured the majority of my attention, especially your journal. Your writing is very neat, I like how it looks paired with the painting. I have tried this style but can only manage a few neat looking words. It appears you are settled in for the summer and living life to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That watercolour is so beautiful! You are very talented. What a lovely time you are having!

    ReplyDelete
  11. now that sunset view makes it all worthwhile!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jeanie, Happy Birthday to Cam! What a gorgeous birthday cake! Your photos are gorgeous and refreshing, dear friend! Here in Montreal right now it is 89.6 Fahrenheit, (32 Celsius), even without the sun!!! Yes, it is muggy, cloudy with light rain...and no relief!
    They are saying that we are getting this intense heat because of a heat dome in the U.S. that is affecting our weather here in Canada.
    It doesn't look like it is going to let up, in fact, they are calling for higher temperatures! I am trying to make the best of it and stay well hydrated and safe. Just taking one day at a time.
    Your post and photos have brought me much joy! A heartfelt thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your posts about your family and all the fun you have. Wow Cam is 8 already. That's a pretty nice cake. Your sketch is lovely and so well done. Have a nice day and try to stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You sure did get the rain. Love the cake. The fireworks are striking. All kinds of wonders today. Hope you are feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, that looks so nice. I can imagine that peaceful feeling now the chaotic weather has departed,( I hope for the rest of the summer!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That view from the porch!!! Beautiful! All of the photos! I love that cake! They did a GREAT JOB! Oh, how I miss the days of fun little kid birthdays. Your England Journal looks and sounds so neat. Summer at the Lake seems awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aha, you did get to painting! Well done you. It's just about starting, then it gets going. And you love it so much I'm glad you're back in it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Other than the heat, it looks like you are having a super summer so far. Just what summer should be. Good books, BBQ dinner and wow, some super fireworks. I didn't see any fireworks, so I really enjoyed your photos. And boy, Cam's birthday cake is something else. It's perfect for an 8 year old who loves Legos. Enjoy your beautiful summer days. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good evening, looking like good times at the lake. we are getting rain storms and high humidity too-Lake in the Ozarks Mo got hit really bad on the 4th a lot of damages we are safe thank goodness.
    Enjoy the lake hugs

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hot or not, it sounds idyllic to me. Summers for me usually mean hard work, and the idea of spending it in a cabin on a lake is incredibly appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It seems the temperatures and weather are getting more extreme all the time, all over the world.
    The birthday celebration looks like it was so very fun. Pokemon cards are extremely popular here, but I hadn’t seen the gold cards yet. It’s great to be 8!
    Life at the lake looks wonderful - especially art and food cooked outside.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like the idea of lots ot reading during Summer. You have such a lovely place for it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad the hot sticky weather is gone and you can settle in and enjoy summer at the lake--you're off to a very good start :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's a great place to spend Summer for sure Jeanie! Happy 8th birthday to Cam. Love your new sketch. Enjoy your outdoor meals, they are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great post Jeanie, lots of fun, friends and family. We are having heatwaves here at the moment, and like you I try not to complain, I just sigh, drink lots of water, and every so often I have to sit still in front of a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Whatever happened to gentle rain? These days it seems to be drought or deluge with nothing in between. Despite the weather, it looks like you are settling into cottage life with ease and enjoying it as always.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great report. You’re living the life up there.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can't wait to get to the point you are at in cottage living. Ours is certainly a work in progress. Also, very damp and humid and we have a good dehumidifier going plus put in a small window unit to help get rid of some of the dampness. We rarely need cooled air in Door County but we sure did last weekend. I was thankful for it. I have watercolors waiting for me but no time to play with them yet. Someday......right? Love all your photos and chat! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is some cute thermometer!!! And uhhhh, I can see what is it in Celsius, too!
    Oh. The dock!!! And the reflections :-)
    Hot I can so far only dream of.
    As well as getting creative... cool brush! Ahhhh, your lake, so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. So much fun on your post today! Love the birthday cake, and I completely agree about kids and screen time. The Century Trilogy is fabulous, if you aren't daunted by the almost 3000 pages between all three! But it is a great story. Your journal looks like something that needs to be published! The tiny sneak peek reminds me a bit of the Wanderers book you recommended a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a wonderful time you have at the summer house. It seems to be stormy in a lot of places these days. You have been very active with your creative vein; painting, journaling and reading. It is dangerous to start a Follett book, then tend to be long, but also difficult to put down. Still, a lot of great summer activities. Enjoy, relax and have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  32. So pretty your Away From It All cottage:)I love that you have photos from there from years ago..Happy Birthday is truly in order..such a great age..I remember the Pokemon stage;)Those yrs fly by so quickly..Hot an heavy here also and all was getting parched..a lovely slow and steady rain yesterday must have helped..I'll be surveying growth later:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am glad you are close to the water during this hot stretch! We are getting a reprieve from the heat this week, a bit, but next week will be steamy. I plan to go to the pool with the boys after dinner a few nights to cool off/stay comfortable. It will be too hot/humid to play outside without feeling absolutely miserable. But hey, we wait through a long winter for these hot temps so I will not complain!!

    Pokemon cards are such a great gift. Does Cam have a binder for his card? Paul has several binders. He loves to arrange his cards. He also has sports cards in one of his binders - mostly football but he has some basketball ones, too. A game Cam might enjoy if he doesn't already have it is Pokemon Battle Academy. Paul got it for Christmas and he loves to play it. It can be a bit tedious for us adults but it's better than screen time!

    That is odd that your beach has changed so much! My parents have so much beach right now as their water levels are down from multiple years of draughts. Some summers it's been tough to get their pontoon off the lift. It sounds like they've gotten 3 1" rains this week but that will barely make a difference. There were terrible tornadoes about 30 miles from them so I am relieved that missed them!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks Jeanie for your letting us in on your wonderful lake adventures. I enjoy you sharing what your days are like and what they used to be like at your summer home. Your photo is so cute beside your boat. I envy your artistic abilities as your neighbor's planter came to life...so pretty. Do you have a library close by? I find most of my books on line, than it is off to the donate thrift store. I can also relate to leaving the brats at the store...🥴. Stay cool my friend and don't be offended when I say you can go jump into the lake! LOL🥰 hugs

    ReplyDelete
  35. Happy birthday to Cam! We finally had a thunderstorm last night. We really needed the rain. So sorry to hear about your neighbors dock. Glad they were able to get it fixed sooner rather than later. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  36. This really does seem like the quintessential summer experience!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Jeanie, it seems summer at the lake is off to a good start. Happy 8th birthday to Cam, how can that be possible?! We could use some of your rain sent our way. We have to water every day. Your journal is amazing, can’t wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Happy Birthday Cam!
    Your summer looks like loads of fun! Keep on painting.
    May

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a great start to a relaxing summer... I'm glad the art supplies are out!

    Happy birthday to Cam, he looks very grown up in that red shirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. The lake weather sounds worse than what we have seen here in the more southern part of Michigan, though I admit to staying inside with the AC. I hope you willl be enjoying more typical weather soon. best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. It looks as though you are off to a wonderful start...I hope it continues along the same lines..That's a great cake for Cam!!
    Glad the dock was able to be fixed without too much trouble..
    I enjoyed all your pictures..

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh my gosh, those views are spectacular! No wonder you spend so much time outside. And your painting of the neighbors flowers is pretty! I've never been able to figure out how to make things look dimensional, they always look flat on the page. You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm so glad you have had such a lovely time at the lake so far and I hope it will remain like this. You definitely deserve it. Fireworks over the lake must have been wonderful. We were able to see the official firework at the fairgrounds from one of our upstairs windows. It was a big one this year and went on way too long. Enjoy your time and I look forward to the following "postcards".

    ReplyDelete
  44. It looks like Cam had a great birthday. I’m with you on all the games! I wish kids today could experience the childhoods we had. I love all you’ve been doing while at the cottage. We had one air conditioner in a window at ours, but rarely used it. We had so many windows and breezes off the lake. I’ve been reading a lot of really great books. Hoping the rest of this summer will go great for you. I can’t believe how fast the summer and the year are flying by!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Kudos to you for not complaining, Jeanie! You're a stronger person than I. 😂 I hate humidity. Other than that sticky phenomenon, your vacation at your cottage sounds relaxing and idyllic. Well, maybe not for your neighbors and their dock. Winds seem to be getting more intense everywhere, but I'll take windy over sticky. Happy 8th to Cam. What a cutie! I loved teaching 7 and 8 year old kiddos. Smart you ~ Don't encourage more screen time. Happy creating and relaxing! ❤️🌺❤️

    ReplyDelete
  46. How many pages?? Follet's books are long enough, but attaching another 553 pages is amazing. Lovely time! even though it was stinking hot. Great times were had by all , I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Your post captures summer perfectly: its heat, sudden storms, quiet evenings, good books, and the simple joy of making the most of each day.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Cam's birthday cake is marvelous. He looks happy with his gift from you two.

    Your drawings and paintings are divine. Really lovely.

    I applaud you for reading The Marble Hall Murders. I'll wait till September and watch the show on PBS.

    Happy FFO.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Fun now begins :) Enjoy another season at the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  50. That cake is somewhat terrifying! Of course, I'm not a young boy, and it doesn't surprise me that Cam would have loved creating and eating it. It tickled me that your barbeque brush has the same colors on the handle; bright and bold must be 'in' this year!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Glad the rain passed and hopefully took some humidity with it. It can be so hard for things to dry when it is so humid. Loved seeing what you have been doing. Nice job working on the journal and getting your art supplies out and getting started. Hope you end up liking Fall of Giants. I read it and enjoyed it a few years ago (and read the whole series). Happy Lake Day!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Glad the rain passed and hopefully took some humidity with it. It can be so hard for things to dry when it is so humid. Loved seeing what you have been doing. Nice job working on the journal and getting your art supplies out and getting started. Hope you end up liking Fall of Giants. I read it and enjoyed it a few years ago (and read the whole series). Happy Lake Day!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Your positive attitude toward this crazy summer weather is so admirable, especially when condensation is making the indoor floors wet and rain is literally waking you up by pouring onto your head. Jumping into the lake to cool off sounds like the absolute perfect antidote to those sticky afternoons. Tearing through a 553-page murder mystery in practically a day is a massive win, though diving straight into a 900-page Ken Follett epic right afterward is wonderfully ambitious. Good for you and Rick for sticking to your guns on the screen time limit; those gold Pokémon cards were clearly a huge hit for Cam's eighth birthday. Dusting off the watercolors for your England journal while enjoying grilled food in the backyard makes for a truly ideal summer evening.

    ReplyDelete
  54. wow! How magical and beautiful summer is through your beautiful post and pictures and writing too. So much love and beauty. I love fireworks and happy Birthday to your grandson. BBQ looks delicious and your art journals are stunning and your artwork of the flowers are beautiful! I adore! :) Have a lovely weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  55. Happy Birthday Cam!
    That last view you've shared ... so beautiful.
    Enjoy your time at the lake.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  56. Hi Jeanie, Cam’s Lego cake looks fantastic -- such a fun idea!
    All the food you shared sounds delicious (I’m with you on pizza being a favorite).
    Your flower sketch is lovely, and those fireworks photos really capture the excitement.
    Wishing you more happy days at the lake!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Happy Birthday Cam! Your summer is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I think this is a great post to share with SITAR. Sorry about Mr linksy. I just forgot to put it in. . I have you linked up. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Wow it looks like you've really had some storms. You seem to be making the best of summer despite all the weather challenges. Hopefully the wild weather settles down and you can enjoy the rest of the summer at the beautiful lake side.

    ReplyDelete
  60. What a beautiful sunset! and fireworks. One year I hung a flag on the clothesline and raccoons came during the night and shredded it. Happy belated birthday to your Cam. I refused to contribute one year to a Nintendo too, for the very same reason. Good for you! Enjoy the water and a good float this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I hope you can get through Follett's Fall of Giants -- so long! And glad to see you are back at the Lake. Summer must be here! But avoid the smoke if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  62. It looks like you are having a great summer at the lake. How fun to have the bbqs and the fireworks look great. I enjoyed reading this post and looking at the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Yay for getting out your art things! Now if I can only do the same!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by! I moderate comments so if yours doesn't show up right away, don't worry. It will. I try to answer directly with email if your address is included. If you are a no-reply blogger or not a blogger, know that I appreciate your visit but may not be able to reach you.