The Gypsy Caravan 2023

Saturday, July 11, 2026

Postcards from the Lake -- Geese, Ducks, Bees, an Eagle, and maybe a Loon?

When I'm home, I usually have to go to the Ditch to see wildlife, apart from a bunny or two. Up at the cottage, I need only look out the window at the right time and see dozens (yes, literally) of Canada Geese.

 

I can't say these are birds I adore on the beach! They're very dirty and it's a constant rake-up of goose poo.  But they are fascinating to watch and really quite beautiful.

 

The other day I counted 80 (yes, not a typo) resting on the neighbor's beach and then at some difficult to decipher signal, all ambled to the water and began their swim. 

 

I found it interesting that many of these geese are still quite young. Their markings aren't fully developed yet, unlike those down state. Rather, they are a mix of gray with slightly golden heads.

 

 They seem to love it on the beach of the big house next door, and for the most part they know the boundary line! They also seem to have some sort of pecking order as to who is boss. This particular group seems to have four to six adults and lots of young'uns. 

 

They're very content to rest on the beach in the sun, then go indulge themselves with the neighbor's grass. (These neighbors have moved; otherwise he'd be out with his loud goose-chase-away thing. As for me, when them come on my beach, I walk out, clap my hands and they hit the water!) 

 

House for Sale. Comes with pets.

 

They also seem to have their own squabbles. I apologize for the camera work on this short video, but you get the idea.

 


I've only seen one duck family so far, and again, they are "behind schedule" in the growth department. But they're awfully cute.

 

When I head to the backyard I'm likely to encounter a bevy of bees enjoying the clover. You have to be careful where you step!

 

Now and then you see something that surprises you!

Yes, that's a groundhog! I immediately thought of Jenn and the Freds (as she calls them at Crumbly Acres). That was a first for the lake.

 

Another first -- my first Monarch butterfly of the season. At first his wings were tightly closed as he enjoyed eating whatever it was he saw on the beach.

 

But finally, a shot in flight. (I dumped about 14 photos of sand and sky as I tried to follow him with my camera! 

These will have to do!

 

And, when I look up several doors down, you can sometimes get a good glimpse of Eddie the Eagle. 

 

We were having dinner and I happened to look at the tree where he often is. I couldn't really see an eagle but what I saw was a dark blob I thought might be a nest. It was, in fact, the Eddie's back.

 

Zooming in, what a sight! These birds are so magnificent and so enormous. I have to thank my zoom on my little pocket camera. These were taken nearly four lots away.  

 

  Give me your over the shoulder look, Eddie!

 

Another rare sighting -- a loon. I rarely hear them and see one even less. He was tricky to identify till I zoomed in and saw the markings!

 

 And finally, there is my favorite "wild critter" of all!

 

Inside only! 

Sharing with:   Saturday's Critters   /  Love Your Creativity  /  Share Your Style                  

62 comments:

  1. Hello Jeanie

    That is a lot of geese on the lake. I can only imagine the mess they make on shore. I like the ducks and loon too. All great sighting outside your cabin. The groundhog looks alert. Beautiful captures of the Monarch, I have not seen one lately. Awesome Eagle photos. Lizzie is adorable! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look like the little ones is gagling about. Kitty looks quite content.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! That groundhog is crazy cute! And I have never seen so may geese and goslings! They are precious. You see SO much at the lake! I would love it there, wouldn't I? Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mortality rate of the geese must be huge because I am pretty sure that there won’t be 80 extra adults there next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a quintessential summer day by the lake. Love seeing the geese and ducks, enjoy your time up north!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Comes with pets, LOL. Oh, would I love to run into that lake!!!! And a real groundhog!
    An eagle... wow. And ohhhh... the wild one. Already Sunday here - have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I envy you the sighting of the loon, Jeanie. It used to be such a common bird on lakes just north of here, but each year there seems to be fewer. Very sad. A Bald Eagle is a spectacular bird, isn’t it?


    ReplyDelete
  8. I follow and excellent delightful talented blogger/IGer that lives on a lake..she says the same..the mess...However ..I think groundhogs..although cartoon like cute at times..cause devastation in gardens..:(..C'est la vie right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard a loon.I wonder if they're more northerly. We used to have massive flocks of Canada geese making all the walkways impassable but now not so many locally. I'm not sorry! Nice to look out and spot all the waterbirds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've had some great wildlife Jeanie. Except maybe the woodchuck. I know they are part of nature, but occasionally one shows up in my yard and devastates the gardens. And wow, that is a great shot of the eagle with your little pocket camera. Nicely done. Hope you get more views of the loons too. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous! I love seeing wildlife just doing its thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great critter captures! We had 2 geese families on our beach and lawn nearly every day through June and suddenly they seem to be gone and have been replaced by one small duck family. I honesty enjoy the ducks far more as they are much less messy and not nearly so mean when we startle them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much to see around there! I would love to see a loon; there are some in the northern part of our state, so maybe one day!
    The groundhog is cute, but that stone wall is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The lake critters don’t disappoint. Nice photos, the groundhog looks cheeky. Sadly, once geese find a spot, they multiply every year. All those droppings aren’t good for water quality.
    The county extension might have tips on how to relocate them. Local Canada geese were moved from a roadside pond area years ago. So far they haven’t returned in numbers.
    May

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful wildlife pics Jeanie...I hear ya on the mess geese can make. We raised Toulouse geese on our ranch in New Mexico and they had over 1000 acres to do their bui'ness and yet they loved to squat slightly and leave a deposit on our flagstone walkway...front & back yard. Ugh! But watching these fowl and critters is always fascinating....and you have a front row seat. The Eagle is amazing and tho cute, the groundhog looks like he is looking for something to forage. (we had a prairie dog village, [not planned] that became the bane of our existence as our cattle & horses would step in a hole and break a leg.) Thanks for your lake updates...love 'em. Hugs and stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What fun, looking for your usual visitors and seeing new ones too! Well, fun except for raking up the bird poo! Enjoy watching the critters!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awwww....I love your cat at the end of your post! I love seeing the birds. Canada geese are beautiful and regal. Lovely Monarch butterfly! I love groundhogs, they are so cute! Thank you for sharing the video as well, dear Jeanie.
    I hope you have a lovely week ahead, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You do have a lot of wildlife to see at the lake, Jeanie, and such a variety. I agree with you that Canada Geese are not my favorite and thankfully there hasn't been as many that we've seen on the Nashua River, but we have had more mallards, including a couple of families. The swans were here for a couple of weeks, but have left. We still have Harry, the Great Blue Heron, Otto the river otter, painted turtles, bunnies and assorted birdlife including red winged blackbirds

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Jeanie :) What a great wildlife post. I have never seen so many Canada geese, and I enjoyed your video..The grounghog is so cute, love the closeup image., the ducks, Loon, Monarch and Bald Eagle. are all wonderful to see. No wonder you love being at the lake, Jeanie. Enjoy your time there and have a happy week.
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ...I'm not sure that a beach full of geese is a great sale's feature. Loon sightings could be a different story!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ohhh 80 that's nothing. Come to my part of Oregon and will see hundreds of geese in fields. They love the grave yards. We have so many geese here that have become a nuisance. However, I love all of your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post Jeanie! I have never seen that many geese in one flock. That’s amazing! Wonderful photos and the Bald Eagle, also amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kari @ Me and My CaptainSunday, July 12, 2026

    Jeanie not sure why my comment came as anonymous above... ...I will try to be more observant....I talked about our Toulouse geese.🥰

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beauty day at the lake, the ground hog nearly did me in- so CUTE!!!
    All of those geese , wow, so successful this year...loads of slippery stinky beach slime to frolic in. Anyway it looks lovely and I am glad that you are there ! I LOVE your cottage by the lake time!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Not a fan of the geese boy oh boy is that a lot of babies!
    Loons how I love them.
    Enjoy the lake
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jeanie, I love seeing your wildlife photos. It is so interesting to watch eagles and geese. We never dreamed we would have eagles where we live. But we enjoy seeing them so much. We have a river and lots of lakes with plenty of fishing for them. Thank you for the postcard!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great pictures, Jeanie! That eagle is splendid (and I love how it cooperated with the over the shoulder look), and nicely done with the monarch shot, too -- they must be a trick to capture, I bet. And thanks for the picture of the loon. I've always wanted to see one. Miz Lizzie, of course, is totally adorable. Nice collection of critters!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You really have a knack for wildlife photos! The eagle is so cool! I’m not so fond of geese. I was chased by some geese when I was a child.The groundhog and the loon are interesting. Sweet Lizzie is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your photos are amazing, what an abundance of wildlife. And the darling little geese! Hope you're having a wonderful stay by the lake.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great photos and I love the ground hog!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your spot! So many critters. Yes, we had geese like this. Not a Fred, though. There isn't enough ground cover where we were.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderful photos of all the critters. We had a couple of ducks nesting near our pool. They can be messy. The groundhog is so cute. The eagle is amazing. I have watched the famous eagles, Jackie and Shadow for years. They nest in Southern California at Big Bear. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I will say this post does remind me of how much I miss all our critters at the cottage. We woke to loons cooing most mornings, and saw deer, sand hill cranes, eagles, and so much more. I’ll enjoy them now through your lens!

    ReplyDelete
  34. The sound of the waves in that video was music to my ears! I hope you are still up there during this heat wave (I assume it's hitting you or will soon!). It will be around 95 for several days this week so we'll heading to the pool after dinner to stay cool!

    I love all the wildlife photos, but especially the bald eagle! What a great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This made me smile. I am different from you. I hate skunks and most wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Canada Geese...Yuck...They've closed many a golf course for the day around here...Gross...Now the Loon and the Eagle are a different story...:)

    ReplyDelete
  37. So many geese! They must love the cool water on these extra hot days. I love spotting an eagle and the one you saw was so close! we see more red tailed hawks here as they hunt rabbits, squirels and sadly baby birds, and the blad eagles like to stay by reservoirs in order to fish. All my cats have been indoor cats --much safer! Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow, that's a lot of geese! Such a beautiful "inside critter"! :D

    ReplyDelete
  39. What fun, Jeanie. I enjoy watching Canadian geese, especially when there are young ones. The ones in the lake were pretty active. All the wildlife photos were great. You captured Eddie sharply in spite of his distance away. And, of course, kitty is darling. I hope you and Rick have an enjoyable week! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  40. Cool sighting of that Loon. A few years back I saw some Trumpeter Swans. A few weeks ago I did see a mama mink carry her baby to the river. That was cool too. I always love seeing the Eagles here in the Winter. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  41. It's lovely that you have all these birds up at your cottage. The Bald Eagle is a true sight, such a majestic bird. And the loon is so pretty - I remember seeing loons in Alaska. The groundhog is wonderful! And a monarch!!! I completely understand that you love all of these - I would, too.

    ReplyDelete
  42. It certainly is paradise at the lake with so many furry and feathery neighbors. Love the video of the geese. You certainly have your hands full.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thank you for showing us birds and animals. Nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hello Jeanie! I saw an eagle this week tooooo! They are always so amazing to see. Gorgeous picture of Eddie. I saw a loon once on our lake many years ago, and I would love to hear them. Such a beautiful sound. So, a groundhog sighting. Oh my, watch your plants! We have them here. Between the groundhogs, the deer, and the bunnies, I am always on the lookout and protecting our plants!
    You had a real mix of beautiful photos! Thanks so much for the postcard. Have a beautiful week.

    ReplyDelete
  45. That's a lot of birds! I think the groundhog looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  46. What an amazing post. Those Canada geese are everywhere and I was surprised that was a single family. I was in AWE of the butterfly. You have a splendid camera. And of curse, the bald eagle was majestic. What a ZOOM!

    ReplyDelete
  47. It's amazing how much wildlife you see at the lake house, Jeanie. Look at all those geese! I don't think I've ever seen that many babies at one time. You know, I've never seen a groundhog! I heard they come out mostly at night. The butterfly is a beauty, and the orange one looks like Autumn. I bet that Eagle sighting was neat for you. You got some good pics, even four lots away. I hope you enjoy these restful summer days at the lake, Jeanie. I look forward to more of these wildlife photos. I love seeing the critters around your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  48. That's a lot of wildlife! Very cool to see both the eagle and the loon with a zoom lens.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I am not normally fazed by birds but after some encounters with territorial geese, they get the nomination for scariest birds. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Wow! That's a lot of animals! I saw my first Canadian geese (three of them together) up in East Texas earlier this spring. They were beautiful. I am always delighted to see Monarchs. I bought a butterfly weed this week, a kind of milkweed, and I've already seen a Monarch on it.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I LOVED looking at the critters, in particular the last one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Welcome to the groundhog club! I love ours so much. I could spend all day watching them if I had more time.

    ReplyDelete
  53. So many geese. Great eagle and butterfly photos. We have a groundhog that occasionally runs across our yard. He never pause long enough for a photo and don't know where he is off to in such a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Love seeing your wild critters, including the last one. Not sure I have seen a groundhog in person in my part of the world. Yes, I know what you meant about goose poo. There are many geese hanging out near my apartment and I don't like to walk by them because of the "poo".

    ReplyDelete
  55. you got some pretty impressive photos and saw some pretty impressive wildlife. I love the shots of the eagles and how great to capture the groundhog too. We get some Canadian geese around here but not in big groups like that.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Your pocket camera did wonders--those eagle shots are fantastic!
    I love how you captured the monarch mid‑flight too.
    Even the squabbly geese look like they’re posing for you.
    Beautiful photos as always, Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  57. Great postcards/photographs from around the lake.
    I enjoyed them all but the groundhog got the top mark for cuteness :)

    Enjoy your July days.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  58. Wow over 80 Canada geese, I can imagine the mess! So wonderful to see an Eagle. And Lizzie looks as if she's enjoying a relaxing holiday at the lake 😀

    ReplyDelete
  59. I love meeting all those little geese ... and that groundhog and eagle are awesome to behold! There's no place like your summer home sweet home, is there ...

    ReplyDelete
  60. Eighty geese on a single beach is wild, though I definitely prefer your low-tech clapping method over that loud neighbor machine. Seeing Eddie the Eagle hanging out nearby is pretty spectacular too; your zoom lens did an amazing job capturing him. Honestly, that sweet little inside-only kitty at the end totally stole the show.

    ReplyDelete
  61. YOur camerawork is pretty darn good by my standards. I didn't feel the urge to skip to the end, but watched all the way through with interest. You're lucky to have such a lot of opportunity there to watch animals and birds, and your posts about them are always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Jeanie, what a treat to have so much wildlife all around! I never thought of geese loving little waves along a beach. They look like little surfers out there in the lake water - adorable!!! And send me a woodchuck!! They are THE CUTEST!!! Unfortunately, a large male possum must have got into something and he passed in our backyard on Thursday. I should have taken him over with the stuff I took to the dump on Friday, but didn't think about it. He's stinking out in the trash now on the street, ugh! Otherwise, the mice and one rat are still running around, Charles is off for five days (day 4 here on Sunday) and pulling down soffits along the north-east corner of the house, vacuuming poo, and stapling up hardware cloth. I've been painting Hardie board and it'll go up next. It's a whole thing... (eye roll!) But, it has to be done. :) Glad you enjoyed the feature at SYS #506 this week.

    Enjoy all the critters and take a dip in the lake for me,
    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by! I moderate comments so if yours doesn't show up right away, don't worry. It will. I try to answer directly with email if your address is included. If you are a no-reply blogger or not a blogger, know that I appreciate your visit but may not be able to reach you.