The Gypsy Caravan 2023

Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Postcards From the Lake: Art Camp

Every year for maybe 20 years, quite possibly more, my friend Kate and I take two weeks (now; when we were working, it used to be a weekend!), and head north to the cottage to focus on art. We call it Art Camp.

 

Over that time our art has changed -- and it  hasn't. We're better now. (Kate was always good -- art was her profession; I'm better. than I used to be) We did  collage, painting, polymer and every combo thereof. My cottage guestbook is a journal I made during art camp. And of course we  do other things. Read. Walk. (Well, this year my walking is hampered but Kate is walking. I did some.) 

 

We hit the farmer's market and if it wasn't so bloody cold, we'd be swimming. 

 

And while we were at the market, we stopped by the Otsego County Democratic Party booth to donate and tell them they were doing a great job!

 

No doubt about it -- we eat well. We've had lot of corn, tomatoes, Kate's fabulous turkey burgers, stir fry.

 

And yes, the occasional glass (or two) of wine!

 

Of course, there are always crackers, cheese and veggies, because all that art is hard work!

 

Unlike previous years, this time we didn't have set project, but did our own thing. I started out with a dog portrait of Teddy Graham, our newest "extended family" member. 

 

Then I decided to do a photo from my birthday celebration. 

 

This is the wine that Rick shared with me (that I'd given him for Christmas!)

 

And I decided to do it again, only one glass this time. 

 

I had thank you cards to write, so I started doing some cards, too!

Meanwhile, Kate was working on several projects, hopefully for a new calendar. I could watch her work all day.

 

Our weather hasn't been good. I wish I could send my blog pals in England some of the rain we've been having. On good days, we paint on the porch, but on bad ones, I take the kitchen pull out ledge and Kate works on the desk in her room. It all works out.

 

There are some real chores on occasion. My beach is a mass of weeds -- or rather, weird grass that I have no idea how it gets there. I got about half of it under control -- and still have lots to go!

 

All has been wonderful apart from a relapse into afib that sent me home to the doc for a day. Fortunately, Kate stayed here, did her work and took care of Lizzie, too.  Lizzie is our muse!

 

This is the tip of the iceberg and there will be another art camp post soon. But meanwhile, join us as we  say. . . 

 

Cheers! Life is good!

Sharing with:  Talking About It Tuesday  /  Friday Face-Off  / Saturday's Critters  /  Sundays in the Art Room (SITAR)  /  Love Your Creativity         

64 comments:

  1. I love, love the idea of art camp. What a fun way to connect, enjoy the art you love to do, and eat well. Yuck for the afib. Hope that is much better now. Cheers to Democratic Party hopefully they can pull off a win in Michigan. I know I am cheering you guys on. Florida does not have a prayer at this point....maybe a governor, we will see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you agree on some sort of direction for the week, or do you wing it as you go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun tradition. I love getting together with the girls to craft together. It’s more than the crafting - it’s about friendship.
    Your artwork is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you had a wonderful time as you usually do!! Thanks so much for all your visits...August has been a rough month for me ... I really needed that puppy love from my grand pups, for sure!! I hope you are having a great week, my friend!
    Hugs,
    Deb
    Debbie-Dabble Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun to make art with a good friends, Jeanie! Good food and wine and beautiful art created as a result. It did look like cool weather there. It has remained an overly hot and dry summer here-- I am so ready for fall. I am afraid to open our windows because of all the sad, humgry bears roaming around, so the air conditioning has been running non stop $$$!

    ReplyDelete
  6. . . . and cheers to you :)

    Art Camp always looks and sounds such fun.
    Have a good new month of September.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like to much fun!! The art coming out of your time is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your art camp always looks like fun. Even though you don't make art 100% of the 2 weeks, it's nice to have some set aside time for art and someone to do that with. Teddy G came out great, as did the wine glasses/bottle. I still need to work on the liquid part, so I'm studying yours for some clues. :) I'm looking forward to part 2. Hope it warms up a bit too. And no more A-fib either. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every year when I see your art camp posts, I want to take part! I will be voting absentee from Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh wine and snacks! Yes!
    But I missed something - why is your walking hampered? I hope you're okay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all the art! And Lizzie! Art camp is delightful and so is the time spent together, priceless. I know you enjoy every minute. Life is good.
    Cheers, Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful annual event. I just love it. Sorry the afib flared up.
    Looking forward to hearing more about your art adventures:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a wonderful, yummy, arty tradition with the best muse :-) And friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a good idea! I can see that it's something you look forward to and enjoy every year--and I can see why! I love the work you've created. I'm sorry about the a-fib flare. Bill has that. Happy September!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I just love this tradition! Sorry the weather hasn't been the greatest though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely gathering with a creative friend. Hard to beat these kind of gatherings.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ...make art an important part of your daily life!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So zen painting along someone quietly:) Lovey art work..Poor you having to go back:( Hope all is much better now..

    ReplyDelete
  19. How fun, Jeanie. I long to do some art work, but have so much other projects going at the moment. I can imagine the lake, the sky, the trees...yes, heaven for painting! Surprised to hear it was chilly, we've been in the 90's...only had two days in the low 80's so far...gosh, love summer but dislike this one. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Jeannie, I two girls are absolutely right: A cozy, private art retreat for two weeks sounds simply wonderful – and the output I can see here is too! I also find the wine bottle labels very pretty – both the real Pinot Noir bottle and the one you painted and shared with Rick in real life. And how sweet Teddy Graham is 😍🐶 and Lizzie the muse is just as lovely 🥰😺! I hope your health problems are improving day by day. Take care – and feel free to send rain to us too!
    Hugs and all the best from Austria 🤗
    Traude

    ReplyDelete
  21. A lovely tradition of getting together for art camp. Spending time with girlfriends is always fun. Lots of good food and wine, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh no! I am sorry to hear Afib sent you back home to the doctor. And what a bummer about the cold and rain. Our conditions were much better at my parents. They would LOVE to take some of your rain. Their lake level is so low since they are in a pretty bad drought. We are in Minneapolis, too. Pretty much the whole state needs rain. :(

    But besides the weather and afib, it sounds like a wonderful art camp! I love the thank yous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your Kate and your Art Camp sounds like SO much fun. It's so inspiring to work side by side with someone who is as passionate about art as you are. I love all the paintings you did, especially the portrait of sweet Teddy Grahm. My Church Diocese does weekend art camps annually, and I always enjoy them, but haven't been to one in a couple of years. Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a beautiful post. I have enjoyed it very much. Your art is stunning. How fun just to create, go to the farmer's market and be with a friend. I'm sorry about the afib though. Thank you for sharing the good life.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Art Camp is the coolest camp!!! I love the activities and especially the mess hall. How fun to have such a great friend as a camp mate. No wonder camp is still around all these years later. Even your field trips are marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. what a lovely way to celebrate your friendship

    ReplyDelete
  27. You really know how to enjoy, no matter what, weather, afib, never mind!

    ReplyDelete
  28. How fun to do art together with your friend at the cottage. I love your art work and you are so talented. Wishing you a happy September!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your art camp and the paintings are so wonderful. I see a lot of smiles when they receive your painted cards. Lizzie is such a good muse. I hope you are feeling better now.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful photos, dear friend! Lizzie is so cute! Your paintings are absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jeanie you are so talented...your painting of Teddy Graham is right on...great job! And the wine bottle and glasses looked just like on your birthday. It has been hot down here...in the 90's but we do get rain almost daily at almost the same time of day. The only problem with that is then we feel like we are in a sauna if we venture outside. 🥴. Did the doc give you more meds or change it completely...I pray you are doing ok now?? Art camp is so wonderful especially sharing with an old friend...and for so many years...that is certainly very special. You know the old gardeners proverb about weeds ..."One year of seeds equals 7 years of weeds." UGH!!! Perhaps if you look at the weeds on your beach like plants you love and want to keep,...they will die! At least that is what happens to my planted blooms. LOL🥰 Enjoy your time left at the lake.hugs my friend. Kari @ Me and My Captain

    ReplyDelete
  32. How Fun! I enjoyed seeing all of the art and photos hugs

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yay I love your art camp. Fun days. I like your painting of Teddy .... keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  34. A lovely time and beautiful art! So sorry you were sick for a day.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Looks like a great way to spend time with friends and enjoy what you enjoy. I love get togethers, for any reason. Lovely art to enjoy and I know the food must have been good after a visit to the farmer's market. Hard to believe it is cold there, three digits here today, ugh. Happy September.....

    ReplyDelete
  36. If only I were closer I would be popping in to join in with you. I would love to be able to paint. Looks like lots of fun you both had.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Much fun, aside from the AFIB! I enjoyed your art, work, and play!

    ReplyDelete
  38. So sorry about your afib hope you are better now.
    Art camp for 2 weeks sounds so wonderful. Fun projects. We have been a bit chilly the past few days but no complaints from me.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  39. Always good to hear about your annual art camp and lovely paintings that emerges.
    Thank you for the offer of rain - we've had some now and probably more to come due to the El Nino event!

    ReplyDelete
  40. An occasional glass of wine or two? I suspect that sometimes even three, but only after art for the day is done!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Before I say anything, I noticed the maple leafs on your shirt and I love that! This "Art Camp" tradition you share with your friend is so wonderful! I love your thank you art cards. Are they cards that open up or do you write on the back?

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh Art Camp with a good friend is such an awesome idea, friend. Thanks for sharing the pics of your everyday activities as well as the finished masterpieces.
    Enjoy these early September days. Golden, aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Being creative with friends sounds like a party to me. Art camp is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a lovely time you two had and what wonderful pieces of art you created. I was impressed as I drove on your route 75 seeing so many wonderful billboards calling out the current administration. It made we gleeful.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Your wine and glass(es) of wine paintings are my favorites. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Always a highlight of the Postcards from the Lake series: Art Camp! I love your glasses of wine, and especially the way you caught the reflections from the sky in that lovely Valpolicella. So glad to see you enjoying leisurely visits with a dear friend and delicious food.

    Here's hoping that you have no more episodes of aFib for a good long time and that you are soon back to enjoying walks as usual (what happened?).

    ReplyDelete
  47. Lovely cheerful work as usual, I fell in love with the cat! Is it the Gypsy?

    ReplyDelete
  48. All kinds of people should want to do nice things for you, just to get one of those cards!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I have polymer clay, and haven't used it.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Of course I'm envying exactly what you're lightly fussing about: cold and rain! I'd happily take either, or both! Whatever your grass is, I'd put money on it having windblown seeds. Is it the same stuff that you had to clear out when you first got to the cottage this year? Is that your neighbor's tractor I see? Can yu get him to do the work for you? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I'll have what YOU are having....glass of wine, cheese and crackers! I love that you spend time with your art often, that's what helps you improve. I think I see an owl in there too! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hello Jeanie,
    Your art camp sounds fun. Lovely photos of you and your friend Kate. I love all your art work. Cute cards! Especially Teddy Graham, what a cutie. Lizzie is adorable too. The food and wine all sound delicious. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thank you for sharing your beautiful art with FFO and have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I'm kind of jealous of your art camp, it is such a wonderful idea! This would be something where I would actually do some art work and not always procrastinate which seems to be my normal habit. I love your thank you cards, they look lovely. Your watercolors are beautiful, Jeanie. And all the other "things" - going to the farmers market, cooking, wine, most definitely good conversation - it's all lovely. I'm sorry about the relapse into afib, that stinks. How is your walking now?

    ReplyDelete
  55. Happy Saturday! I am so so happy comments are up and running again. I adore your drawings and paintings. They are so so lovely and your posts make me so happy. I love the idea of art camp! Wonderful! Have a lovely lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  56. What a fun time and Lizzie is as photographically sweet as ever. I'm sorry about the AFib episode. I'm told I have it too, but I have never felt anything, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I so love this post. I see something new each time I view it. Thank you for sharing with SITAR.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Sorry about your a fib. I hope it’s under control now. Art camp looks like a blast. Love your watercolors. It’s starting to cool down here. At least we’re in the 80s! We had a lot of rain last week which we sorely need the next 10 days. Looks like it’s going to be rain free. Happy Labor Day.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I always love your Art Camp posts. They are always filled with beautiful art, food, and friendship. Happy FFO and AFFF, as well as SITAR and Sunday Smiles.

    .

    ReplyDelete
  60. How amazing, art weekends that have now turned into weeks with a good friends, sounds like a winning combination. Stunning artwork both continue to enjoy.. Happy SITAR best wishes Tracey.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Your art camp always makes me want to do that. Maybe I will do that for an adventure next year. Afib is no fun; so sorry you had to deal with that. Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  62. This sounds like so much fun! I really like that you two commit to your time to do art every year. Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  63. So sorry about the afib though....I hope your doctor was able to get you back in rhythm.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by! I moderate comments so if yours doesn't show up right away, don't worry. It will. I try to answer directly with email if your address is included. If you are a no-reply blogger or not a blogger, know that I appreciate your visit but may not be able to reach you.