I only made it through six books in July, but when one is over 500 pages and another close to 1,000, I submit to defeat with a bit of grace. (My own personal goal was to read eight in July. Why I make goals like this, I have no idea.)
I'm pleased to say that five of the six are highly recommended. The last? It was fine. Just not memorable.
"Marble Hall Murders" by Anthony HorowitzHave I ever read a 582 page book in two days? (Most of it in one.) Nope. But when it is Anthony Horowitz's latest "Susan Ryland" book, how could I not. Yes, it's that good.
This is the final book in Horowitz's "Ryland" series and will be a PBS mini-series, like his first two books. It's a wonderful closure piece (although I'd be happy if he decided to whip out another.)
Susan is now a freelance book editor after splitting from her longtime partner and returning to London from Crete. Her publisher asks her to take on aspiring author Eliot Crace, who has been commissioned to write three more books in the Atticus Pund series. Ryland had edited the earlier series by Alan Conway, who was murdered by her former publisher before trying to kill Susan as well.
Needing the work, despite not wanting to deal with the series again, Susan takes it on. Eliot is the youngest grandson of a renowned children's book author, one dearly beloved by her public and now, after her death, still a cash cow with a Netflix deal and plenty of merchandise from her prolific series. As Susan reads his manuscript, she finds it intriguing and respects his writing but is concerned that he may well have his own family axes to grind and is doing it in the book, much in the way Conway had ridiculed those he knew personally through thinly veiled characters.
As with Horowitz's earlier pieces in this collection, we follow both Susan's life in "real time," interspersed with Eliot's Pund novel as Eliot brings her a large number of pages for her review. As the reader explores the fictional story while also hearing more about Eliot and his family in 'real life,' the pieces begin to fall in place. Will Pund discover that the lead character in the novel was murdered? And was Eliot's own grandmother murdered as well? And the big question -- who dunnit and who would figure it out. All this becomes even more complex when circumstances come together to call a stop to Eliot's work.
I wanted to read this before seeing the mini-series, scheduled to air this fall on PBS. I was already familiar with Leslie Manville as Susan and Tim McMullen as Pund, so I had a good visual for them both. With Horowitz at the helm of the screenplay as well, I suspect it will be quite true to the book.
I hope so. It was worth every fast-reading page. (And no, you don't have to have read the other books in the series, but if you have read "Magpie Murders" especially, this one will be even better.)
"Fall of Giants" by Ken Follett
Erika wrote about this book and others in Follett's Century Trilogy and I was so intrigued that I knew I had to read them at some point. But weighing in at close to 1,000 pages, was I ready? (Wikipedia and many editions give it 1008. You can condense a lot with that tiny paperback type!)
Well, it's summer. There's more free time. If I could do nearly 600 pages in a couple of days, this shouldn't be too bad! And it wasn't -- but boy that type was small! And there are a lot of characters to keep track of in this saga that follows five families and their descendants through the 20th century.
In this one, which focuses on the years before, during and after World War I, we meet the Williams family, miners in Wales in 1914, where a mining disaster in their village triggers a series of events that inspires young Billy. Meanwhile his sister Ethel Williams is the housekeeper for Earl Fitzherbert, lord of manor and husband to Princess Bea, a Russian princess and niece of the Tsar who is as cold to her husband as the frigid Siberian winter. You can probably guess where this is going! Then there is Fitzherbert's sister Maud, an ardent feminist and suffragette (much to her brother's dismay) whose relationship with a German intelligence officer, Walter von Ulrich, is threatened by a war to end all wars. Let's not forget two Russian brothers, Gregori and Lev, as Russia enters World War I and Bolshevism is on the rise.
Follett does his readers a great favor by making a three-page cast-of-characters list in the front of the book. There are many to keep straight and yet, it is surprisingly easy to do so, for their stories are so engaging. Seeing a war and the impact of the times on personal stories, some of which intertwine over the years, really brought the power of war and its effect on people from all socioeconomic sectors to life.
I powered through this eagerly and look forward to the next next volume in the trilogy. Set against a critical time in world history, events are covered that cross a spectrum of class and environment. From the battles in the no man's land of World War I to Russia's Bolshevik revolution, the country houses of the aristocracy to the impoverished miner's village, prohibition in New York, and the streets of London to the halls of power in Berlin, Follett captures them all. Well worth the time.
"Killing Cassidy" by Jeanne M. Dams
After "Fall of Giants" I wanted a fast read and something where no one dies in battle. "Killing Cassidy" is a Dorothy Martin mystery and this one finds the 60-something ex-pat and her second husband, former police constable Alan Nesbitt visiting Dorothy's home town, Hillsburg, Indiana. She has been left a legacy by the recently deceased friend of Dorothy's and her late husband's, Kevin Cassidy. But the legacy comes with a hitch -- she must come claim it in person within 30 days.
When they arrive in Hillsburg, Dorothy is given the check and a letter from Kevin in which he indicates that someone is trying to kill him and he fears his death (though pronounced pneumonia) was triggered by this person. He wants Dorothy to find the culprit.
Kevin has given them a list of potential candidates and Dorothy and Alan must investigate while not appearing to do so and while on their search, encounter many from Dorothy's home town.
The mystery plot is nothing to write home about. It's fine, but Dorothy's character, though less annoying than in her earlier books, is more so than her most recent and began to bug me. But an underlying theme of the book was interesting. Can you go "home" again after leaving a town? After three years of living in England, Dorothy finds many things in Hillsburg have changed and not necessarily for the better. As she shares her town with Alan, she begins to discover that she no longer "belongs" in the place she called home. For this this reason alone, it was a worthwhile read, with much to ponder.
"Local Gone Missing" by Fiona Barton
Elise King hasn't had a great time of it lately. The police inspector is on medical leave, following breast cancer surgery and getting a little bored. And, her colleague Hugh, with whom she'd had a relationship for nine years, had dumped her for a "newer model." It's time to get back to work.
Fiona Barton has written a gripping and well told mystery that continues to deliver surprises, even after the villains have been caught. She introduces readers to Elise and some of her fellow townsfolk, including the affable Charlie Williams (everybody loves Charlie) and his much less lovable wife, Pauline; her cleaner Dee and Dee's husband Liam; Toby and Saul, local restaurant owners planning to meet the surrogate mother of their future child; weekenders Kevin and Janine and others, many of whom are busy with the upcoming and controversial town rock concert.
But when Charlie, last seen at the concert and behaving oddly, goes missing, her attention is captured. Still on leave, she and her next door neighbor, Ronnie, begin to casually investigate on their own. And, as Elise gets the OK to return to work, their efforts are enhanced by her policing team, especially her sergeant, Caro, and the forensic examiner Aiofe.
Barton writes well and the characters are well drawn, the plot clever. I confess, I wasn't sure at the beginning, simply because the book is divided into sections "Now" and "Before," a narrative that can be confusing. But she manages it well and in doing so, lets readers in on some of the characters, their motivations and histories in a way that a straight narrative might find more cumbersome.
I've read other books by Barton and enjoyed them. This is no exception. It's a good one.
"Silent Voices" by Ann Cleeves
DI Vera Stanhope has been told by her doc to lose weight, so she's swimming at an exclusive health club before work. When she slips into the sauna, she realizes the woman across from her hasn't moved -- with good reason. She's dead, strangled,
Ann Cleeves' "Silent Voices" follows Vera and her team as they investigate the death of Jenny Lister, a social worker living in a small town with her twenty-year-old daughter, Hannah. By all accounts, Jenny is revered as the perfect social worker, even by Connie Masters, a former employee whose name was dragged through the press when one of her clients drowned her child. Connie, while not tried in court, was tried in the press for not better monitoring the client, Mattie, more closely. Because of this, Connie and her young daughter have been more or less shunned in the village.
So, why would a woman so dearly loved and admired be murdered? As Vera and her team -- Sgt. Joe Ashworth, Holly and Charlie, are on the case and their efforts reveal no end of potential suspects and witnesses. Meanwhile, she and Joe are both concerned about the deeply grieving Hannah, who is comforted only by her finance, Simon, and about Connie and little Alice. When a second death occurs, the pressure is on to find the murderer -- and a motive.
Once again, Cleeves does not disappoint. The characters are well drawn, the atmosphere of the village life is on target and there are numerous twists to the plot that add depth to the mystery.
A side note -- after I finished this, I watched the television episode of "Vera" dramatizing the story. I was surprised with the number of changes the screenwriter made to the plot. It is still essentially the same with most of the same characters, but the side plot and several characters have disappeared, a new one created and motives sketchy. It worked -- if you hadn't read the original -- but I think they should have stuck with Cleeves' telling.
"The Tragedy at Freyne" by Anthony Gilbert
It's a pity that author Lucy Mallenson used the pen name of Anthony Gilbert when writing a mystery of such mindbending cleverness. She deserves credit in her own right.
"The Tragedy at Freyne" is a classic, country house locked room mystery, written in 1927. Alan Ravenswood has been invited to the country estate of the artist Simon Chandos, along with other guests that include Chandos' ward, Rosemary; her likely fiancee, Scott Egerton; war veteran Rupert Dacre; and the MP Guy Bannister, along with Sandos' secretary Althea Dennis and his wife, Lady Catherine.
It is obvious to all, certainly to Sandos, that Catherine and Dacre are having an affair but he refuses to grant her a divorce. It also becomes apparent early on that the artist is dying from cancer and has little time to live. He takes morphia tablets for the pain.
So, when his body is found in his locked study the morning after the dinner party with a half-empty bottle of pills at his side, it appears to be suicide. That is, until tiny marks from a syringe are found and when crushed morphia tablets are found in the fireplace grate. The death is clearly a murder.
Thus begins the intriguing mystery that finds Ravenswood and eventually Egerton working first together and then in conjunction with Inspector Bradlaugh to find the killer. Could the suspect be Lady Catherine or her lover? Secretary Dennis, who clearly is in love with Sandos? Or one of the other guests?
It's a wonderful story with lots of twists. If you enjoy the classic mysteries, I think you will like this one.
Sharing with: Share Your Style / Share Your Shelf

47 comments:
...a number of tragedies?
That sounds like a great month of reading. You know when you can read a book that's over 500 pages in just 2 days it's a good one!
I was so excited to see your book post. I'm glad you enjoyed the Follett (Fall of Giants). But I totally get why you wanted something shorter and lighter after reading it. It's a good story, and I learned a lot about WW! reading it, but it takes a lot of energy to read it. Especially with that small print. I can relate after reading Sarum. :). I didn't realize there was third Anthony Horowitz. I really liked the first 2 so I need to keep my eye open for this one. And your other 2 mysteries (the Fiona Barton and the Ann Cleeves sound great too.I should say 3, because the Anthony GIlbert sounds great too. It's so fun finding all these vintage mysteries, isn't it? Thanks for some good books. My post is scheduled for tomorrow so every though we're not exactly posting on the same day, its not very far off. Have a great mid-week. hugs_Erika
some strong writers. Ken Follett always delivers.
I love your book posts!
Reading books is a special pleasure... enjoy them!
Great list 👍
Six books in July sounds like a win to me, especially with those page counts! Hats off to you, Jeanie!
Hello, Jeanie
Another great selection of books and reviews.
I have read all of the Horowitz and most of Cleeves.
I will look for the Fiona Barton mystery.
Take care, enjoy your day!
If you count the pages then you had an exceptional month!
You always find the best books to read. Hope you enjoy them. Janice
Longer books definitely might mean less books overall. I usually shy away from the long ones myself!
My book group had planned to read a Ken Follett book this summer, but then members complained it was too long! So it was cut from the lineup.
They all look interesting. Happy reading.
Hello,
I have an idea for a long-term collaboration that could help both of our blogs grow stronger together while creating mutual benefits.
As a first step, we could each publish an original introduction article featuring one another's blog. To keep everything natural and valuable, each article would include just one relevant blog post link, allowing us to build a genuine and meaningful blogging partnership.
Beyond that, we could strengthen our connection over time by leaving thoughtful comments on each other's new posts, exchanging ideas, and developing new collaborative projects. This kind of partnership can help increase our blogs' organic traffic, build stronger authority with Google, and create lasting value for both of us.
I truly believe that successful blogs are not built by growing alone, but by building quality relationships with other passionate bloggers. A small step today could become the foundation of a much larger blogging network in the future.
If this idea sounds interesting to you, I would be delighted to hear your thoughts and suggestions. Let's explore what we can achieve together.
Kind regards,
An interesting collection of books, Jeanie. There are a couple I'd like to look for in our library. Thanks!
Seems like each of those two LONG books you read should count as at least TWO books apiece, thus bringing your total to EIGHT for the month and meeting your goal. (Not that it matters, but it's always satisfying to meet goals.) I'm in total agreement with whoever mentioned using page counts vs. books read to set your goals. That way, if you decide a book is not worth finishing, you still get to count your pages...
Anyway, I love seeing your book posts, if only to see the covers of all the books you've been perusing for the month. They'd make a great series of posters!
Jeanie I so appreciate your reviews....Follett has always been a favorite and yes, a long read. It is funny because sometimes I look for that and then there are times I want a quick read. Usually it is a series that I don't want to end. I am partial to the Gabriel Allon Series by Daniel Silva and have not only read all of the 28 or so in the series, I sign up for future hardback books and have them sent to me. I have the newest one (delivered July 14th) sitting on my night table beckoning to me, but I must finish the current series I am on (thanks to you) the Maggie Hope Series. Yes, I know I can stop that series and read another book, but since I have all the books, I don't want to lose any continuity. So thank you for previewing your July reading. Some I have read, but there is always a surprise for me. Heres to curling up with a good book...literally. hugs! Kari☕️👀📚📖
I bow down to you for reading six books. Each one sounds very good and I'm happy you have time to enjoy your reading. Have a nice day today.
Six books is seriously impressive, especially when two of them are absolute bricks like Fall of Giants. I am so intrigued by Anthony Horowitz's Marble Hall Murders, powering through nearly 600 pages in a couple of days sounds completely justified for a Susan Ryland book, especially with the PBS mini-series coming up this fall.
Reading that new Horowitz in practically a single day? So relatable, because once Susan Ryland has you hooked, sleep just stops mattering. That point you made about Killing Cassidy and whether you can actually go home again really stuck with me. That strange, hollow feeling of walking through a place you used to know inside and out, only to realize it's shifted and moved on without you, is such a fascinating weight to find underneath a mystery. Now I'm definitely going to have to bump Marble Hall Murders up my stack before I cave and watch the PBS adaptation. Did you end up liking the TV version of Silent Voices at all, or did Cleeves' original book completely ruin the screen version for you like it usually does?
Looks like you had a great reading month! I hope August is the same!
It looks like July was a great month for reading books. With reading a 500 page book you are bound to read less books for the month! Happy reading. :)
An interesting list, lots of fun reading. Enjoy your day, Jeanie.
I’m looking forward to the Marble Hall Murders on PBS. Unfortunately, I won’t have time to read it beforehand. I thought I bought Fall of Giants, but I guess not. I loved The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End. The length doesn’t bother me as long as I love what I’m reading!
If and when I ever decide to read, I know where to go to find one!! You found some interesting ones for sure!! Ken Follet was one of my husbands regular authors..
This was such an enjoyable and informative article to read. I really appreciate how clearly the topic has been explained without making the information feel complicated or difficult to follow. The details, explanations, and overall presentation make the post genuinely useful for readers who want to understand the subject better. I also liked how naturally the article flows from one point to another, keeping the reader interested throughout. It is clear that a good amount of thought and effort has gone into putting this content together. Posts like this are valuable because they provide useful information while still being pleasant and easy to read. Definitely a great piece of content, and I look forward to reading more articles like this in the future.
I enjoy Anthony Horowitz as a writer and have read Magpie Murders and Marblehead and have his newest currently, A Deadly Episode. I enjoy Ann Cleeves and wondered if the Vera book is a current one? Unfortunately, the library here doesn't have all the Vera novels. Another of your favorite authors, Martin Walker, has a new book, A Murder in Springtime.
The long books should count for two books!
Looks like you had some good reads. I have yet to read an Anthony Horowitz book.
Thank you for all these wonderful reviews. I have not read any of them I'm impressed that you read 6 books in July- I only read two!!
You share a lot of interesting books Jeanie. Thank you! :)
Ken Follett is maybe my favorite historical fiction writer. Between The Century trilogy and the Kingsbridge books, I never stop raving about him. They are RIVETING audiobooks, too.
Another month of good thrillers. I am a fan of Horowitz and Follett.
I'm adding all of these, except "Killing Cassidy" to my to TBR list. I think you and I like the same type of mysteries (Elly Griffiths!), so I'm sure I will enjoy them.
Even without factoring in the long length of two of the books, I think reading six books in one month is pretty impressive! I don't seem to be managing my goal of one per week very well, let alone as many as you're reading.
Looks like a great month of reading. Thank you for your well written reviews, Jeanie!
Many thanks for taking time to share your books and reviews.
I do enjoy reading but don't set myself any goals.
All the best Jan
As always, excellent reviews, and sveralbtitles i want to read! Thank you
When a book is about 1000 pages long I would say that counts for three books : )
One day... I show my pity ;-)
Usually I love reading in Summer on the balcony but with my darn back I have to skip and when I have other media.... ack!!!
But I am reading on occasion, too!
Not nearly as much as you do, though - chapeau!
Cheers to you for the August summer reading! I am struggling to get through one book this month (laugh).
Just like everything else in our lives, things come and go, you like, you dislike....for me reading is one of the things that I once had to have someone stay on me do just do a book report, then in my late teens into my 20s I loved reading. Then life flipped and I was able to get reading done in the winter months when the world slowed down some. Then it did another flip somewhere along the line where I only read at night to kick back and relax. Now, reading is so hard for me. Maybe cause I never can slow my mind down long enough to pick up a book but also cause focus for me is hard. I can read a page and turn the page, forgetting what I read already. Most reading I do these days is, stories on the internet!
I've read all of Ken Follett's books and enjoyed every one.
I always like your book recap posts! And I'm glad for your thoughts on Fall of Giants as I think I have a copy somewhere on my shelves ... it's been there a long time without being read. Follett's books are usually fun ... I just need to find time for such a long book. Thx for your reviews.
And "Anthony Gilbert" is going on my list, thank you! I think I have
enough classic crimes on there now to last me for a while.
Would you believe I never read one Follett?
super list of books, giving me more to put on my list to read!!!
I don't think I could read a book that's over 500 pages. I can barely handle one over 400
Post a Comment