There are those who say the season of abundance is autumn. I don't entirely disagree. But for me it begins about six weeks before the calendar officially tells us it is fall. By midsummer, and definitely in mid-August, the markets are beginning to be packed with things fresh from the farms. And it is glorious!
Cherry season is over here in Northern Michigan, though some "imported" bags can be found at the grocery store. But early in the season, I bought a half-peck, then a quarter-peck and finally just a quart or two as the supply diminished. Michigan sweet black cherries are probably my favorite fruit, perhaps because their season is short.
I confess, I cannot stop when they come in. They are so tasty! If only cherry season was right before one's colonoscopy!
Now it is that wonderful mid-August time. Rick and I headed to the market and came home with enough food to keep us going far beyond the rest of our stay. At the top of the list were blueberries. The Michigan blueberries this year have been exceptionally sweet -- it would be a sin to add even a little sugar to a bowl. At times like this, I wish I still made pie!
When I was younger, and before the neighbors on one side clear cut every tree and bush in a double lot to build their big, long house, my neighbor Eulah used to have loads of tiny blue huckleberries growing low to the ground on that lot, between the pines and other bush.
My cousins and I would pick them. It would take hours just to get a decent haul. So many to fill even a coffee mug. Getting them from the blueberry lady is a much better, if pricier, plan.
This is my Fruit Guy at the farm market (yes, I have a fruit guy). He isn't having
peaches this year, which is a pity. Last year's were so sweet and juicy. He said apples are coming in next week. Instead, he had delicious melons! I also bought more than my share of summer squash to grill when making chicken or burgers. It's just so wonderful brushed with a little olive oil and seasoning and grilled up -- still a bit crunchy and firm but definitely warm and delicious!
And this is my Tomato Guy. Well into his 80s, he's still bringing wonderful vegetables and tomatoes to the small Friday market. Last year he missed the season with a bad bout of pneumonia. This year he's back. I see a half-bushel of Roma tomatoes in my future and many containers of sauce or soup!
Our fridge is packed with freshness -- tomatoes, blueberries, zucchini and summer squash, fresh cucumbers and peppers, canteloupe, and peaches. And, you can add sweet corn to that too -- a dozen freshly picked ears, soon to be devoured!
Add to that my own basil, thyme, mint and cherry tomatoes and you can tell, we won't be starving!
I had left a rotisserie chicken for my cat sitter when we went to Gladwin, along with pizza, ham and some other things. He left the chicken, which turned into first dinner course for Rick and me, then an easy chicken salad. I added loads of herbs and cherry tomatoes from my garden, red onion and blueberries from the farm market and some walnuts. When you are sorry to see the last of your chicken salad devoured, you know you've hit on a good recipe. And can you beat fresh corn and a caprese salad for a good dinner?
Same for the anything-goes peach crumble (which turned out to also have blueberries and raspberries in, so I suppose a fruit crumble is a better name). Mix and match -- if it sounds good, try it and the worst that can happen is that it wasn't as good as you expected!
This weekend I'll use the xquisite eggs that my new neighbor at home gave me before coming up. They were so beautiful, such a symphony of pastel colors, that I didn't want to eat them! She has chickens, cats and likes Christmas. I think we'll be great friends! We've had them scrambled for breakfast. Later I made a terrific quiche with spinach, mushrooms, ham, and onion. Tasty!
All those tomatoes I bought are going into a great gazpacho with onion, cucumbers and garlic, maybe some peppers. We'll freeze what we don't eat and enjoy it for lunches on what I hope are a few hot summer days as the season wanes. And of course there will be more than a few caprese salads! Summer food. It's the best!
On another note, thanks for the happy birthday greetings on my last post. You gave me lots of smiles!
Peaches are about done here, but we're enjoying local melons and tomatoes, right now. Some of the tomatoes come from friends' gardens. Apparently, they have been a bumper crop!
ReplyDeleteDear Jeanie, I love all your beautiful photos! Fresh fruits and vegetables are so lovely and delicious! I love cherries as well! And the ones you had sound amazing, dear friend! Fresh corn, potatoes, tomatoes, blueberries, cherries, just to mention a few!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing.
Oh my yum. Look at all that lovely food. Amazing!
ReplyDeleteSo many delicious fruits and vegetables! Black cherries are called “American cherries” here in Japan. I bought two big peaches at the fruit market yesterday and my Japanese teacher gave me some edamame from her garden. Summertime eating is good!
ReplyDeleteThis is such a tasty post. I do think August is the month those of us at this latitude do most of our harvesting. And it's is so delicious. :) My basil has not done well at all this summer, (Maybe it's not hot enough), so enjoy those caprese salads. I'm missing that herb. hugs-Erika
ReplyDelete...good point about a colonoscopy! I'm old enough that I don't one anymore! The fruits of the season can keep us regular,
ReplyDeleteYep, I' m drooling now!! TFS your wonderous bounty!
ReplyDeletebobbie
Such beautiful abundance, Jeanie! I love all the wonderful produce that is available now. My problem is I buy more than we can possibly eat! 😂 I really enjoyed your photos. Happy gorging!
ReplyDeleteYou remind me that it must just about be corn season. There is a stand on the edge of town that I should checkout.
ReplyDeleteI agree. I think end of August and early September are times when the farmer markets are bursting with produce. Love your beautiful photos.
ReplyDeleteThose tomatoes!!!
ReplyDeleteA glorious celebration of late-summer abundance: fresh berries, tomatoes, sweet corn, garden herbs and all those wonderful homemade meals make this season sound absolutely irresistible
ReplyDeleteJeanie, wow all of the bounty is beautiful. Fresh corn and the fruit are calling my name. Grilled squash with a splash of olive oil sounds delicious! Enjoy it all!
ReplyDeleteI love the abundance of August. My garden is producing tomatoes, green beans, zucchini, and more. Lots of peaches in the markets make for sweet juiciness. Beautiful photos, Jeanie.
ReplyDeleteHello Jeanie,
ReplyDeleteAll the fresh fruits and veggies look delicious.
I love cherries, blueberries, corn on the cob and tomatoes. YUM.
I am glad you have a great new neighbor.
Take care, enjoy your day!
It is indeed already the season of plenty, Jeanie. So much is good to eat. We have had fresh corn twice already and it has been a good year for it. Can you believe that people eat processed food when all this goodness is around?
ReplyDeleteYummy, yummy! We have many of the same fruits and veggies popping up everywhere right now.
ReplyDeleteYummy! Yummy! Yummy! Jeanie, don't you just love Farmer's Markets? We have a wonderful one here in the Cape every Saturday morning. I swear the radishes, tomatoes, etc are on steroids. The local farmers have such beautiful produce. I gave up long ago of growing my own tomatoes when my scrawny tomatoes came up short compared to their lovely, large, beefsteak and heirloom tomatoes. Your cherries, blueberries, corn, tomatoes, squash, peaches and other produce make for some wonderful eating that I am sure you and Rick will enjoy. I do have to be careful how much I buy as I don't 'can' or 'put up' like I used to do....but when I get home and I lay out all my produce and fresh flowers on my countertop, the comfy satisfaction warms my heart....as I am sure you and Rick have when looking at the bounty in your fridge. Beautiful post my friend.
ReplyDeleteWe have different guys and ladies that we prefer to go to at our own farmers market. We always miss them when they do not show up and ask what happened to them the following week. Fresh food always the BEST! Janice
ReplyDeleteMy goodness, I envy that collection of fresh fruits and veggies! Our seasons are essentially done now, so any blueberries I get come from places like Michigan: likewise cherries from the northwest, and so on. I laughed aloud at your wish for "a few hot summer days." Come on down, and spend some time on the docks with me -- it's the hundreds as far as the eye can see. When I come home from work, getting undressed is like peeling off a wet swimming suit!
ReplyDeleteAbundance is the perfect word! I cant believe you even have a photo of you amidst blueberries.You are so lucky.. I must get corn today;)
ReplyDeleteYummy, Summer, Summer, Summer, this is a wonderful post, Jeanie! So cold here, a joy to see yours!
ReplyDeleteIt is with great great sadness that I report peak stone fruit season is behind us. We still have a bit of time left with not great stone fruit before I longingly wait for July 2027. Doesn't 2027 sounds like a sci-fi futuristic date?
ReplyDeleteA beauty of fresh fruits and veggies. Summer food is the best. Enjoy yours.
ReplyDeleteI never had any cherries this year, no idea why as I love them. I am busy working through some yummy peaches at the moment, I am posting about them tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteAll those fresh fruits and veggies look incredible and delicious. Enjoy!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a marvellous bounty! Such a wonderful season. I enjoyed the tour!
ReplyDeleteOMG. Look at those eggs! Almost too pretty to crack open. You and my daughter are alike. What produce she doesn't raise, she gets at food markets.
ReplyDeleteThe produce at this time of the year is incredible! Farmer’s Markets are the best!
ReplyDeleteIt's definitely and abundant time of year! And clearly you know how to make the most of it! Enjoy every minute!
ReplyDeleteThis is definitely a yummy post :)
ReplyDeleteThe fresh fruits and vegetables look lovely, so delicious and I like the eggs too.
All the best Jan
oh how lovely are all the fruits and veggies! Delightful! Also the eggs! Wonderful!
ReplyDeleteLots of fresh produce there, Jeanie. CHERRIES are my all-time favorite. But now in late August they aren't as big and luscious as early summer. But our blueberries at the store are plump and sweet, and they are in my cart every week. Love that picture of you picking the blueberries, by the way. Your caprese salad looks really good, and that corn on the cob! Our peaches and nectarines are more ripe and juicy early summer too. But the grapes are better in Fall. Your spinach and mushroom quiche sounds delicious made with those pastel eggs. So good of your neighbor to bring them to you. And it's nice that you got a big haul of veggies and fruits at the farm, Jeanie. The last of summer's goodness.
ReplyDeleteWhen we moved from Iowa to California, I discovered those cherries. I went crazy on them. too much so. Now, 50 years later, I have modified my consumption.
ReplyDeleteToo bad those cherries are not available always you are so right, they would be handy to have for polyp searching time. So many gems in this post! My favorites are the eggs. Pretty sure that you have painted them by now. Such lovely colors!
ReplyDeleteWatching cherry season vanish too fast always hurts, but biting into a sun-warmed tomato or sweet corn straight from a grower who has been tending fields for decades makes up for it completely. I am entirely jealous of that packed kitchen counter and that wild fruit crumble, and now I am ready to go raid a farm stand myself just to chase that exact same magic.
ReplyDeleteI am currently drowning in tomatoes! Also zucchinis and raspberries. Life is good!
ReplyDeleteOh I will miss the sumner fruit and vegetables! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteDarn, I missed yur birthday, so here are my belated very happy birthday wishes. I hope the next 365 days will be good ones for you.
ReplyDeleteYes, this time is certainly the season of abundance. Isn't going to the farmers market just the best? I go every Saturday and am glad that we have a year-round farmers market. Like you I have "my guys" (almost all of them Mexican). I am surprised that all the fruit and veggies at your market are sold presorted in little containers. Here, the veggies and most of the fruit (except for berries and cherries) are displayed in a box and you can choose what you like. "My chico" has an entire selection of heirloom tomatoes and you can do mix and match, all for the same price. Delicious. Our fridge is always very full after I come back from the market and it keeps us fed throughout the week. It's wonderful, just like you said here. It gives a lightness to life.
Oh my goodness, this all looks absolutely fabulous Jeanie. I would be in 7th heaven to have all this fresh produce available.
ReplyDeleteEvery girl needs a fruit and tomato guy. LOL This is a fabulous farmer's market. So much goodness. We are heading to Bandon next Friday to the farmer's market. We had huge huckleberries when we lived in Idaho. None here. Always fun to go berry picking. Thank you for sharing with FFO and have an nice weekend.
ReplyDeleteYour Farmer's Market is so much nicer than the one we have. You are really lucky and really spoiled with all that great fruit and veggies. Thanks for sharing the market AND your dishes you fixed with them. Those eggs are beautiful!! Happy FFO.
ReplyDeleteI made "huckleberry" scones the other day but of course we don't have them here in australia so i used raspberries instead :=) Still good.
ReplyDeleteHarvest season is wonderful. You really captured the best of it in your photos.
ReplyDeleteAll that wonderful fruit! My mom remembered the blueberries of her childhood in Pennsylvania, and she tried desperately to grow them at my parents' place in East Texas, but the weather wasn't quite right.
ReplyDeleteI love black cherries, can't make a Manhattan without them! I go nuts at the farmer's market too, all those fresh veggies and fruit is impossible to resist, and I often come home with more than we can eat in a week.
ReplyDeleteOne of the best parts of summer is definitely the abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables! I have been enjoying cherries and strawberries all summer. Local Colorado-grown Olathe Corn, Rocky Ford melons, and Palisade peaches have also been devoured. Now I look forward to fall produce... squashes and pumpkins galore!
ReplyDeleteYou certainly are eating well! All that fruit, and tomatoes, and corn, oh my. Summer at its very best.
ReplyDeleteDid I miss your birthday? If so, here's a late but no less sincere wish for a joyful, healthy year ahead, dear Jeanie!
WOW You for sourcing all that fresh amazing food! This is a reminder to me that I need to get out to our markets. Buying local these days is so important.
ReplyDeleteLuscious post! I love those meals where everything is so delicious straight off the vine that you hardly need to cook. Simply slice, lightly season, serve out of doors with a beautiful view, and a memorable meal is guaranteed.
ReplyDeleteI think American farmers markets are better than we get in England. We never seem to get the hang of it here....
ReplyDeleteI agree, this time of year is when it feels like abundance to me as well. There is just so much fresh everything available!
ReplyDeleteWhat a treat to have a "fruit guy" and "tomato guy". The corn looks so good too. You are making me think, "why didn't I go to farmer's market yesterday?" I need some fresh local produce soon.
ReplyDeleteThe best time of the year! Harvest Time! I think we eat fresh sweet corn at dinner almost every day.
ReplyDeleteWe enjoyed cherries bought in the local supermarket and sorry they are not available any longer. But, now we are enjoying a lot of watermelon and blueberries. A neighbor here has provided us with lots of basil and cherry tomatoes as she has a community garden plot. I liked seeing your fruit guyand tomato guy, Jeanie.
ReplyDelete