The Gypsy Caravan 2023

Sunday, August 23, 2026

Postcards From the Lake: Friends, Food, Birds and Art!

Rick and I headed home early last week so I could get to a doc appointment. The day after that I turned around and came up for Art Camp, my annual time with friend Kate where we focus on art for two weeks. I'll have posts on that soon! Meanwhile, there have been nature sightings and good times at the lake with Rick. Cooking, friends, Lizzie, and yes, birds!

 

I finally had a better sighting of Harry North. These pix were taken with the Zoom, as he is pretty antsy and the second the porch door opens, even quietly, he takes off.

  

Good ears, our Harry has! His visiting time seems to be dusk. I keep an eye out every day!

 

Then there was this fellow. I think he is a cormorant.

 

And surprise! He has a friend! 

I enjoyed watching these two, sometimes circling around each other, and then traveling as a duo for a bit. 

 

Again, these were taken with the zoom. If you look below, you can see how far out they were in the lake and I really cropped it, so forgive the fuzz!

 

And speaking of critters, my girl has been enjoying the lake too, picking our her favorite spaces in every room! 

 

I've painted a bit, finishing up the Workshop Week tutorials. Here are a couple of them. 

 

And, I did this sunrise from a photo my friend Sharon took at their cottage on Lake Huron. (Yes, you can get a sunrise on Lake Huron, depending on where you live!)

 

Sharon and John met us for Happy Hour at my favorite up-north restaurant, Bennethums, and then popped over for dessert. It's always fun to get together with friends from home!

 

Speaking of friends coming by, our buddies Mark and Jan stopped by for lunch on the way home from a getaway weekend.

 

We were having brats, so Rick made buns!

 

He made a few burger buns too, because you know we'll be needing them! They tasted as good as they looked!

 

And yes, there have been plenty of tomato and basil sandwiches!

 

Even though I didn't stop the ice cream truck, I was pleased to hear that apart from "Turkey in the Straw," he also plays "The Entertainer." Seems like the constant repetition of either would be like water torture!

 

The sunsets are beautiful, and like the end of the day they bring, they remind me the end of our lake time isn't as far off as I wish.

 

But there's still plenty of time, plenty of fun. Art, friends, hopefully many warm days and dips in the lake.

 

And plenty of lovely warm evenings on the porch, savoring the end of the day.

 Sharing with:   Love Your Creativity  /  Talking About It Tuesday  /  Saturday's Critters      

60 comments:

  1. A thoroughly enjoyable post. That last sunset was a masterpiece by both your camera and Mother Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely time! I sure laud you and your friends. I wish I could be more social. Your art is wonderful. Good to see your smiling faces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos. Looks like a wonderful time. I love ❤️ your art, and it's great to see smiles, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sunset over water - just beautiful.
    Love the owl on the branch painting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wonderful shots and those little buns...could you maybe share the recipe. Thank you and have a nice evening, Andreja!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderfully happy summer post. I enjoyed the mixture of lake life, friends, art, birds and good food. It feels like one of those times when life is full without being rushed.

    I especially liked the way you described watching the birds from a distance and simply enjoying their behaviour. And your paintings add another beautiful layer to the days at the lake.

    The visits from friends, homemade rolls, tomato and basil sandwiches, warm evenings on the porch and those beautiful sunsets all seem to belong together perfectly. These are exactly the kinds of ordinary moments that later become treasured memories.

    I hope you still have many warm days ahead before your time at the lake comes to an end.

    Warm greetings from Germany,

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are living the dream. Hey I know life gets in the way of things. But you are so fortunate to have this place. I do love, love, love, that painting of the sunset. Happy day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Summer is flying by...too too fast for all of us You have some lovely lake shots, and some yummy looking breads too. and art. I can't forget that. Summer might be going fast but you look like you have a having a very very good one, what with friends and family visiting, some beautiful skies, some art and some nature time. I hope it continues for several more weeks. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jeanie, what a fun week you have enjoyed. I will be anticipating the art that you will share. Friends. lake views, art camp, and home baked bread all combine for a lovely week at the lake. Your sunrise painting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your summer has been a wonderful tie at the lake with nature shots (yes, those are cormorants) beautiful sunsets, gatherings with good friends and those wonderful looking homemade rolls too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photos, cute critters-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Life at the lake is good! I can understand why you enjoy it so much. There are cormorants where I live, too. Sometimes they come up to a big rock and spread their wings to dry. I look forward to seeing pictures of art camp!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you've found time for art -- that sunrise on Lake Huron painting is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks delightful at the lake

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful photos of a wonderful summer at the lake! So nice you can share times with friends. The breads look fabulous! Your paintings are as beautiful as ever. What a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your sunrise was delightful, also enjoyed your other art. Fun to see all your get-togethers and food preparations. It all looked so good! Nature on the lake too. Loved seeing the birds. Happy week to you Jeanie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for this lovely post. Your photos and those smiles are charming.
    Enjoy the last of August. Cheers, Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Jeanie,
    Looks like a fun week! I love all your birds, the geese, heron and the cormorants are all great captures. Beautiful art, the sunrise image is lovely. I love your owl too. Rick's buns look yummy, I would enjoy a tomato sandwich, yum! Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can’t remember if you ever spend September up there. I tink that would be a grand time. to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful lake pics and IIi love your art!
    Hihi. I taught Ingo to play "The Entertainer" - he called it "Ententrainer" - how to train Enten / ducks.
    Oh the sunset. I think Summer might come back here - for now I have to work myself warm ;-)
    Have a great Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes! Those herons are so hard to photograph well as they take off at the tiniest sound. I've tried removing the screens from the inside windows to take a photo through the glass and have had "ours" fly away. These photos are lovely. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time at the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It’s worth going to the cottage just for the sunsets!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful photos and a lovely picture of sunrise at lake huron too. Those buns look so good. Good to see so many friends, too! I wonder if Harry is courting! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  24. ...enjoy art camp, your friends (feathered and not), buns by bun master and sunsets!

    ReplyDelete
  25. C'est la vie!! And the buns look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful post of both sunsets and birds. Rick's buns make me crave for some hamburgers now. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  27. You have some summer left. :) That sunset shot is gorgeous. Enjoy your art week!

    I also love that photo of cute Lizzie on the quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Jeanie! Your painting of the Lake Huron sunrise is amazing! I envy your talent of capturing what you see in your minds eye. I also love the zoomed in photos of 'the birds"...we have a (hard to pronounce) water bird called an Anhingha! I take photos whenever I see these very large birds with their wings spread wide (3.7 ft wingspan) for long periods of time...they just hang out in the sun after a time of underwater fishing. Surprisingly, they don't have water-proof feathers. Your Cormorants remind me of them and yes, we have Cormorants down here in Florida too!
    So glad Rick is home as you entertain your many friends with his baking and grilling as an added bonus...you two are Blessed indeed with love all around you both. Enjoy your lake time...drag it out as long as you can.🥰💕

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great photos and, as you said, good times at the lake! I imagine working in an ice cream truck would be tortuously repetitive no matter WHAT music you were listening to.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a beautiful week and I love your treescape. Good food, good friends and the lake, what could be better!!!Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  31. Here in Texas we have retired folks who live year-round on the lakes. I guess that in your part of the world it gets too cold there on the lake in the winter? I've never made buns. I should put that on my To-Be-Baked list.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What joy in this post!! Your sweet time at your cottage is full of fun.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful photos, good food and friends-hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looks like a breeding pair of Double-Crested Cormorants. You should have a nice mess next spring...

    (When cormorants made their comeback to the Anacostia River, I told my husband that the collective noun for cormorants is or should be "mess." Though herons are messy, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wonderful summer fun at the lake--makes me smile every time! Keep on savoring the season and all that comes with it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your camera is amazing. Yours makes my zoom look wimpy. Great, great bird shots.

    Rick's buns look great. And who doesn't like tomato and basil sandwiches, especially when they are home grown. What a stunning sunset drawing.

    Happy SITAR.

    ReplyDelete
  37. "The Entertainer" is the ONLY thing our ice cream truck ever plays. Does the truck come from the factory with the built-in music?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh to be sitting with a book in my lap and that beautiful sunset in your last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  39. The food, the sunset and the friends are all so warm to see

    ReplyDelete
  40. Awe… lakelife then add homemade bread and friends! Total Bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wonderful photos! Adult Art Camp is my idea of heaven.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lovely photos, which highlights what a wonderful place you have. No wonder friends are passing by to visit you. It does remind me of Sweden as well, so the area where you live must be similar to where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your painting of the sunset is terrific, although I was quite taken with the shells. You're right that you spotted cormorants. I'd bet that you might have found a mated pair; at least, they're pretty good friends. The photo of Lizzie is precious: so much a 'why are you bothering me' expression!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love the bird pics at the lake, Jeanie, especially that first picture of the family. Lizzie looks so cozy resting on your pretty quilt. Your sunrise painting is lovely. And Rick's buns look wonderful. I'll have to try a tomato and basil sandwich sometime. It looks so yummy. I smiled when you mentioned the song "Turkey in the Straw" as it reminds me of my mother-in-law. It's an old song for sure. And that last sunset is just beautiful, Jeanie. I wish you sweet remaining days at the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a gorgeous place! I would never want to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Somehow it feels like you just went up to the lake for the first time this summer, and now you're talking about the end of it? Wait a minute! How come that time is flying by like this?
    Your watercolors are beautiful, I really like the sunset. And the sunsets at your lake are simply wonderful. I hope you will enjoy many more.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love your paintings, especially the Owl! I saw a Long-eared Owl last week and I keep looking at my photos of it wondering how on earth do I paint it. As August comes to an end, I am wishing you more days like you have been experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  48. That zoom lens is helping you capture some amazing photos! So glad to see Harry North, and his very elegant silhouette, again ; also the cormorants.

    Your paintings are lovely, and the owl portrait feels like a vignette from a beloved children's book. Lizzie, of course, is looking adorable.

    So glad to see you leaning into lake life, enjoying every moment, and every friend who is able to share it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  49. A lovely post, I enjoyed all of your photographs.
    The sunsets look amazing.

    All the best Jan

    PS ...and tomato and basil together, so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love the photo of your cat. I am a twitcher from way back, and i do regular bird surveys each month. There is a big survery australia-wide in october so i look forward to that one! Have a good weekend.
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
  51. Your paintings are delightful, especially the one of the sunrise. The sunrise colors are just glorious! Rick must be a master chef, because those buns look absolutely scrumptious. I love tomato and basil sandwiches too, so you're making me hungry. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Your paintings are absolutely beautiful! Cottage life is so wonderful and your food looks absolutely delicious! I am so happy you are enjoy the last bits of Summer. :) Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Your sunsets are extremely beautiful and I love your drawing of one. Lizzie is picture perfect! I haven't eaten a tomato sandwich since my twenties when I met someone who loved them. We never had basil to put on them, and I think that would have made them fantastic. Love catching up with you and all your friends. May the rest of your stay before you come home be all you wish. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  54. You did a beautiful job on your sunset painting. Love it. I could sit and watch your wild life for hours;)

    ReplyDelete
  55. Such a joy-filled post, Jeanie! The lake life looks wonderful -- birds, sunsets, friends, and Rick’s homemade buns all sound like the perfect recipe for summer happiness. Your sunrise painting is gorgeous, too.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Great minds think alike. I've been eating a lot of basil and tomato sandwiches, too. Love your sunrise painting.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hello Jeanie,
    You have seen some great birds at the lake.
    I love the geese photo, the Heron and the Cormorants.
    Sweet photo of Lizzie. Great photos of you, Rick and your friends.
    I hope you are enjoying the art camp too.
    Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Your sunrise art is gorgeous and each of your sunrise and sunset photos take my breath away. I wish I could eat some of the yummy things you cook. I'm hungry! heehee! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Such a delightful post, Jeanie! The paintings are wonderful, the food looks amazing, and that sunrise view is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by! I moderate comments so if yours doesn't show up right away, don't worry. It will. I try to answer directly with email if your address is included. If you are a no-reply blogger or not a blogger, know that I appreciate your visit but may not be able to reach you.