I'm sitting on the love seat on the porch, a book in hand, legs wrapped in a soft, aqua throw to keep the evening chill from setting in and sending me inside too soon. The sun is a brilliant orange and as round as that on the Japanese flag, and it is beginning to dip behind the tree line. Why is it that it takes hours and hours to go from one side of the house to the other, but when it hits that tree line across the lake, it seems to dip in lightning speed, as though some unseen being was playing with the fast-forward button on a recording.
Lizzie is hunkered down in the chair beside me, the last of the day's sun on her face as she grooms herself, keeping her bib as white as snow.And in the distance, but coming closer, I hear music. No. Not music. It is the sound of "Turkey in the Straw," played on a glockenspiel and amplified through a speaker on an ice cream truck. At least, I think it is. It gets louder and louder, until it peaks and eventually fades out. And who else but an ice cream truck would be playing "Turkey in the Straw" -- over and over and over.
It is a perfect lake night. One that began with a perfect lake dinner -- toasted basil and tomato sandwiches (the bacon had gone a bit south and I chose to give it a pass); corn on the cob; a cucumber and for dessert a bowl of fresh blueberries and cherries. Earlier in the week, dinner was similar, only pulled pork was the protein and potato salad and tomatoes with basil served as the veg and side. Summer food.
My home-alone week has been a good one and when this posts, I will no longer be alone but enjoying the cottage with Rick following my birthday celebration. (More on that to come!) I have read a good deal but painted even more, doing about ten online workshops.
Some have been very complicated, others less so, but all enjoyable. And best of all, they are helping to get me back into painting regularly.
I've been swimming too. You can't lap-swim in a lake but I mark my path by the placement of a neighbor's buoys and am finally back to my regular distance of where I was last summer. Sometimes I'll stay out and float a bit, especially after my back's tired from other tasks. And on one day I saw this.
Yes, that's five damselflies -- at least I think that is what they are (please correct me if I'm wrong!). All sitting on a piece of seaweed that seemed to be attached to the pole of the dock. Did I have my camera with me? Of course not!
Did I carefully get out of the lake, not wanting to scare them, and hustle to the house to fetch it? You bet!
They stayed and they posed.
And here's a question that someone asked me when seeing the photo below. Is that a mother and a baby -- or is it just a trick of the light? If you know, enlighten me!
At least twice a day, I "clap" the geese away that have come to the beach. I'll walk out the porch, clapping and they begin to scatter (usually to go to the house next door with the big beach and the big lawn.) I've become rather fond of watching one family that comes regularly, often without the flock of some 95 others. This little family -- two adults, three juveniles, have become so used to the clapping that I don't even need to come out of the house. They simply begin to move on -- either swimming off or walking over to the bigger beach. I love watching how they interact with each other.
The other ugly task I've taken on during home-alone time is deconstructing a mattress and box springs. When we changed out our mattress here a few years ago, we didn't know what to do with the old one. Habitat didn't want it; the trash people wouldn't take it and we didn't have a good way to transport it to the dump. So, it went into the garage where it was covering up a boat and who knows what else that we hadn't seen since it went there. So, we decided to take it apart and get rid of it that way.
Let me tell you -- those things are constructed well. And there are layers and layers! The thick, quilted layer you see when you change the sheets; then a layer batting and one of foam, followed by a bunch of what I can only describe as thick fluff, and then two layers of what looks like the kind of rug you find people putting on a garage floor to prevent oil drips from going into the cement.
It took hours, along with a terrible pair of scissors and an exacto knife. Hours sells it short. It took days. But now we're down to the springs (I'm putting my money on the saws-all) and the "box," which should be doable.
And now, it's time to settle back in, pick up my book and carry on.
Cottage life is good. And I'm so very, very lucky to be able to live it.
Sharing with: Share Your Style / Talking About It Tuesdays

43 comments:
That sunset is so beautiful, as are your paintings!
What a gorgeous sunset! Also, your paintings!
I think that point of sunset is gravity taking over! what a lovely time, sitting with a book by the water. I'm glad you're painting again. Is your friend going to visit and paint with you, or did that already happen?
...you should rents seats on your porch for sunset viewing.
Of course I always love your posts from the lake- your paintings are becoming more and more delicious as well! Time alone is essential! Beautiful day from your neck of the woods! Thank you for the beauty!
Sounds like a perfect week at the lake with perfect lake meals, too!
My husband took some mattresses and springs apart for the same reasons. It is a job!
What a gorgeous sunset and so nice to be enjoying you porch and time outdoors at the Lake.
I agree, the sunset is beautiful! I love being still and just watching a sunset, no two are ever alike! Love the paintings, Jeanie!
When one asks if anything could be more beautiful...these are the real pleasures...and this sunset...I wish you all the best and a nice time ahead!
What a beautiful and peaceful glimpse into cottage life! π The lake, summer food, painting, swimming, and those lovely damselflies all create such a warm and relaxing atmosphere. I especially enjoyed the way you captured the little everyday moments—they make the story feel so personal and inviting. π¦πΏπ
Ah that's the way lake life ought to be! Thanks for a lovely post Jeanie!
What a beautiful way to end each day.
That’s a great description of your sunset and a wonderful photo! What an idyllic setting to sit in. That’s a very cute photo of Lizzie with the sun on her face. Your meals sound and look delicious! Always love seeing your artwork and those damsel flies look like art too, super photos. You have captured life at the lake beautifully Jeanie, thank you!
p.s. that was an amazing chore you undertook on the box spring. My hat goes off to you and I am applauding.
Hello,
Beautiful photos of the lake, the geese and damselflies.
Lizzie is a sweetie. Your painting of the mountains and sky is gorgeous. YUM, love corn on the cob and home grown tomatoes.
Take care, enjoy your day!
You have an idyllic summer every year, Jeanie. Enjoy it to the fullest.
Bliss
Beautiful lake view and ohhhh, Lizzie!
You have the word "glockenspiel"?! Interesting!
Yum and great paintings and oh... swimming!
The damselflies are so beautiful!
Oh, my! Our matress came as a roll and the old one my dear neighbor will take out - wee what a mess you had!
But... to cottage life!!! To the lake and swims and being together again!
That sunset was beautiful. Cottage life is wonderful. Living here by the river we feel like that every day...when we can enjoy it. Janice
Dismantling that bed is a heckuva procedure.
Cottage Life looks wonderful.
I have witnessed so many stunning sunset..they never ever get old..I too rush to get my camera at times if it is not with me:)Oh jobs like those:(. I don't know the name of your winged beauties..but ow beautiful..Enjoy summer is flying by!
Not mother and baby, but they are a male and female having an intimate moment. They lay their eggs in the lake, and their young, first phase of their lives, are carnivorous and very different looking from the adults.(You should look up how those young look.) Wow! That sunset is amazing, and I loved seeing your latest art. In some ways having a week alone must have been nice to recenter yourself. But it can also be a long time. Glad Rick came back to help you celebrate. hugs-Erika
What a lovely time you are having during this little time of being alone!
How special to sit on the porch and take in the scenery. Sunsets can be so. Breath taking sometimes. Your painting are lovely.
I'd bet those damselflies were at some point in the mating ritual. They were making babies! I'm unsure whether they were at the beginning of the process or at the end, but I'm pretty sure that's what was going on.
As for that mattress: good for you! You can bet that when the day comes that I buy a new one, I'm going to buy from one of the businesses that will cart off the old one!
Your descriptions of a sunset are a sigh of relief to tired hearts. Lizzie is the sweetest ♥
Ahhhh what a pretty sunset Jeanie and to be able to curl up with a good book and enjoy the view is a gift from God. I can sit for hours looking at the wild life around me...they are so interesting, aren't they? Your geese are a good example as you watch them continue to mature. I can just see you scampering/slipping out of the lake to not disturb the damselflies as you fetch your camera. At first glance I thought they were dragonflies which we have in abundance here in Florida, although they are of the same order of Odonatas. I always chuckle at the pronunciation some folk have by dividing the name to be dam- selfies instead of damselflies!. Thank you for sharing your lovely dinners, swimming and painting time at your lake. A time of renewal for everyone and everything.
hugs!π§♂️π₯°π§♂️π£π¦πͺΏ
I love your paintings - especially the one of a mountain range with the fading sun above it. How gorgeous!
Your time at the cottage sounds wonderful! And happy belated birthday. What is the date of your birthday? I know it's close to my mom's (which is the 14th). You must be just ahead of her. Phil's is on the 18th so we have his celebration next week. And then we'll be at my parents the week of the 24th for our annual vacation. It's a week later than usual since Labor Day is so so late this year. Usually we are at my parents the week of Phil's birthday. It seems like it will still be plenty of warm that late in August, though, if the weather we've had so far is any indication (it's been HOT AND DRY).
This is absolutely a beautiful post. I love having alone time to do what ever I want. That photo is stunning and would be one to paint. I can imagine how perfect that night was. A fine dinner too. However, your paintings are just lovely. I'm so impressed with your watercolor. Truly beautiful. I have no idea about those damselflies but they sure are interesting. I have a love hate relationship with geese. There are so many here. Ahhh now to the bed. If you can cut those bed springs they make great art pieces. I have made many different things from them. They are a bit pricey to buy these days. I can see arty things with the wood too. That was quite a job, well done. Thank you for sharing your life.
Beautiful sunset! Your post motivated me... the past week or so I've lost my cross stitch mojo and feeling disappointed in myself. So I'm going to shut the door to feeling that way and work on my quilted wall hangings, try a paint by number and read a bit more. Why do we feel guilty when we don't feel in the mood ? I'll be 69 next month...time to grow up lol
Beautiful surroundings, plenty of reading and art time, good food, the kitty, and now Rick--enjoy every second of this wonderful time.
The ice cream truck made me think of a rescue cat we had who was an older gent by the time we got him. He'd been with one person his whole life but she became ill and couldn't care for him so he ended up in the pound. He was a bit nervous at first but eventually came out of his shell and seemed content--except when the ice cream truck would come through the neighborhood. He was terrified of it and whenever he heard the sound would run and hide. Poor little guy.
Hi! My woodworker sweetie says you need Bolt Cutters for those mattress springs. A sawsall will be dangerous.
Take care!
Bravo! That is brutal taking apart a mattress.
I had to do the same thing to get a sofa in the dumpster. Never again.
Advertise the bare springs are available. There’s no telling who is out there looking for a project. Also check out places that buy metal.
Good luck
May
What a gorgeous sunset. Your paintings are fabulous, I love the one with the hills/mtn. Have fun, Jeanie!
Living the dream there Jeanie - I, however, would never swim in a lake! Isn't the bottom muddy?
What a beautiful sunset...Love your paintings..You've been busy.!!
Nice activities to fill some alone times...
I'm sure you are enjoying your summer...Looks perfect..Even taking that mattress apart!! ...assuming that you have the right tools....
The paintings are so wonderful. The colors in your paintings are as lovely as the sunset in your photo. Beautiful sunset, Lizzie and a book - that is a perfect recipe for a quiet time.
-Soma
Good evening, beautiful post-loved the painting too hugs
Wow nice paintings! Those dragon flies are so interesting to look at .... perhaps those will figure into your next painting. I like hearing and seeing pics of Lake Life .... so nice! Enjoy.
It sounds absolutely enchanting! Except of course the mattress, that sounds awful.
I wonder, will you do a painting of the damselflies? Your photos already look like a work of art though!
These are lovely vignettes of lakeside tranquility, and what an extraordinary moment finding those damselflies! And then, there's the sofa. What a workout! (And hard on the hands, I would imagine.) Here's hoping it's out of your life soon!
Post a Comment