Thursday, July 16, 2026

Postcards From the Lake: Family Fun and Crisis!

We've been enjoying beautiful weather at the lake -- warm (hot!) days and cooler nights, so perfect for sleeping. Well, this one sleeps all day, heat or not!
 
  
It's nice to be able to say we are fully settled. Well, almost. Work on the beach is never ending, but the yard is looking good and it's looking pretty cheery around here. Hot days, pleasant evenings.
 
 
 
We spent a good deal of time cleaning. I've been somewhat mobility impaired for a few weeks (it's improving) and Rick, as usual, did the heavy lifting. It started when the carpet cleaners were working next door and came in to do our rugs. Well, with clean rugs you have to go all the way! 
 
The  worst job was our bathroom shower. We have a high iron content here and the walls had become bright orange. The only thing that takes it off is Bar Keepers Friend. When I do it, I tackle a small area at a time. Rick went whole hog, with no gloves. Do you remember when I used the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on my face and got a chemical burn? Well, too much Bar Keeper's Friend without gloves does the same. It was gone in a couple of days with aquaphor and lotion but LOTS of peeling! The shower looks pristine and shocking white! But don't do this at home without gloves!.
 
 
It didn't stop him from kayak paddles across the lake. I kept an eye on him with my zoom!
 
 
When he came home from his paddle, he brought me flowers! 
 
 
 
Despite the work, we managed some lazy and relaxing time too. Rides for Rick and our daily New York Times puzzles! 
 
 
 
I've been doing lots of reading. And yes, to those who have asked, I have done a bit of art. 
 
 
 
Not a lot yet. But I finished this painting of the windmills at Kinderdijk, Netherlands. . . Not that fond of the windmills and sky but I really liked the reeds at the bottom.
 
 
For something completely different, a  family portrait of crazy cats. I may cut them into individual  squares for cards. I haven't decided yet.
 
 
 
And the best part of it has been time with family. My cousin Jack came by a couple of times and we enjoyed chicken on the grill. 
 
 
A few days later, the Ohio cousins arrived! We are like siblings, having spent every summer together for a decade during our teens and early 20s. Now there is a new generation. This is Grayson!
 
 

And this is his big brother, Aiden! 

 

Aiden was having more fun than anyone -- and we were all having loads of fun. This was his first visit to the cottage. He loved the lake (which he called "the sea.")

 

And he also loved pushing Grandpa, Grandma and Cousin Deet (that's me) around on our rafts. (Below, with his dad, Jeff)  It was incredibly relaxing -- laying on the raft and being pushed along. No effort required!

 

All was well -- then CRISIS! Their toilet broke! With six people, including two seniors and a toddler, you need a working toilet! So, Jeff, Lauren and the boys headed back for Cleveland. It was too bad it ended up being such a quick trip. Now you see 'em, now you don't. (I was happy to let Mutty and Howard use ours as needed!)

 

My cousin and her husband stuck around for a few days trying to make arrangements for toilet repair. (Fortunately, I could provide temporary accommodations when needed!) That meant we got to have more fun plenty of floating-on-a-raft-time. 

Our cousin Jack returned to see them and we enjoyed dinner out.

 


Meanwhile, the toilet repair people could come so they stayed an extra day. That was fun for me because we don't see each other often. We spent a lot of time floating on the lake and laughing.
  

And, we had a final dinner out at a nearby golf resort's sports bar. The service was terrible. The food was great, but pricey. Still, you couldn't beat the view!

 

And where was Rick for all this? Unfortunately, he had to leave before that, needing to get home for appointments. He took off on his bike, traveling in the heat wave!

 

Now I'm home for a few days too -- appointments and celebrating his birthday. It was a good thing I came home when I did -- the air quality got into the 176 zone and the sky looked apocalyptic. (As I write this, air quality is 366. Glad I got used to masks during Covid!) My cousin sent me this photo and no, it was NOT taken at sunset. Needless to say, they packed up quickly and left and their son who was coming up was caught and turned back. 

 I'll miss this. 

 

It's good to see Rick, though I'll miss my lake! But I'll be back!

Sharing with:   Friday Face-Off  /  Saturday's Critters  /  Sunday in the Art Room (SITAR)  /  Love Your Creativity  /  Share Your Style  Talking about It Tuesdays               

65 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

Looks idyllic on the lake, spending most of the day floating around - wow! A pity that modern life had to intrude about the toilet, but so glad some of your family were able to spend longer. What a perfect situation and lovely for the little kids.

thecuecard said...

I hope the smoke leaves asap! The lake looks fun on the rafts and I like your paintings ... Keep them coming.

Evening With A Sandwich said...

I need to float on lake!!!! No sharks! (laugh). Seriously, I love lake water. I have family who love to visit northern Michigan in the summer. They have a magical time, every year.
Bummer, when the toilet breaks-It really is the small things in life like a working toilet (laugh). Glad your summer is going beautifully and you are enjoying the gorgeous weather.
Velva

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Jeanie, what a whirlwind at the lake — the mix of beautiful weather, family fun, and unexpected crisis really captures how life can turn on a dime. I’m glad you’re getting those cooler nights for good sleep, even if Lizzie seems determined to snooze straight through the heat. Your lake posts always feel like summer itself, full of heart, humor, and real‑life moments. Hoping the crisis smooths out quickly and the rest of your time there is nothing but joy. I would love to live by a lake!

Lisa's Yarns said...

What a fun visit! Those Aiden and his brother resemble each other! How fun to have some young life around for a few days, too. But what a bummer about their plumbing issues! Yikes!

We have the terrible air quality, too. It was in the high 300s this morning but is in the 290s now. I had planned to take the boys to the pool tonight before this smoke moved in. We will be going to the library which is open late on Thursays. Hurrah!

Lowcarb team member said...

Kiddies just love water don't they, idyllic times for them.
No-one wants or needs a toilet breakage but all ended well with you spending extra time with family.
Take care ... you'll be back at the lake soon!

All the best Jan

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

You have been crazy-busy! I love those cats. Yes, cut them apart and share them!

Anvilcloud said...

You must hate to leave.

Carola Bartz said...

You had a wonderful time at the lake, relaxing, cleaning, reading, doing art and being with people you like. I'm sorry that you were mobility impaired for some time; I know how that feels (and that reminds me that I will reply to your question later). Hopefully that is in the past now. Oh, I know that terrible orange light when smoke comes in. Good thing you had to leave because that would not have been fun. Do you have air filters at the cottage? By now we have four or five in our house. Every year I hope we don't have to use them...

Pam Richardson said...

Such a lovely time at the lake with family. Floating is a lovely way to relax. Stay safe with the smoke!

Sandra Cox said...

Love that pic of Lizzie and the reeds in your painting are purrfect! The kiddos are awfully cute. Glad you had a wondrous time. That smoke does look apocalyptic.Take care of yourself:)

Iris Flavia said...

Ouch on the hands. huh. I did the same... But used a cloth, so no harm, but I should wear a mask! (Neither toilet nor bath have a window - quick working required!).
I LOVE your art! Especially the wind mills!
Fun first family times!!! And your lake, awwww...
Yes. There is a "toilet day" for a reason!
Your world does look scary - I hope all will be good again, BBQs in parks forbidden and water shortages due to the dry "heat" over here. Crazy world.
Oh, and happy belated Birthday!

My name is Erika. said...

Your air quality looks worse than ours was. Not fun. But it looks like you;I've been having some wonderful lake time up until this trip home. It's what is suppose to be, right? I can relate to the iron in the water and the orange shower. We have iron in our water at home (we're on a well) I've never tried Bartenders Friend to clean it. Usually I sue Lyme away and one of those Mr. Clean erasers. And then, within a few days its back again. UGH. I'm sure you understand that. Have fun and enjoy Rick's birthday. Plus I also love the windmills. They look good. hugs-Erika

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Floating on the lake is a great way to ride out a broken toilet crisis! I love your artwork. Is the air quality issue from the wildfires in Canada? Yes, gloves while using any kind of chemical is the best practice. Lesson well learned I think!

Nicole said...

OMG why did you use Mr Clean Magic Eraser on your face? Also eeee on Rick's hands. Yikes. Also yikes on the air quality. We have not had smoke here - but it's been so hot and dry, it feels like the clock is just ticking.

La Table De Nana said...

Floating:). Heaven.
I never realized the lake was populated lol.I thought it was really only you and one other home..Fun times!!Love your windmills what a treasure that travel book will be:)

Kari @ Me and My Captain said...

Sigh! Floating on the lake...in your big hat...being pushed and guided by a sweet little one...perfect summer fun. So sorry Rick missed some of your family's visit but these days our appointments become a little more of a priority,... due to not only our health, our time on our calendars' and more of a nuisance... time on a busy doctor's schedule. You take the scheduled opening when you can because it might take months to reschedule another appointment. I have found that is true for ANY kind of appointment such as Air Conditioner, Electrical and Plumbing. 🥴. I love your artwork...you are so talented my friend! Love your post cards from the Lake! How far do you live from the lake cottage? hugs🥰

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Such a lovely summer.. Floating is so relaxing. Fun times with the family and friends.

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

What a great post! I love the watercoloring you've been working on. Those whimsical cats would make great on greetings cards in their original state, or as prints. Although your cousins visit was cut short due to the toilet situation, I'm sure you cherish the blessing of having had them be there. Shalom and happy FFO!

KarenW said...

I hope the air clears and you are able to get back to your wonderful spot on the water. We aren't seeing smoke today but we can sure smell it.

Debbie said...

now that's a great postcard!! cats really have the life BUT how in the world can they sleep so much!?!? i don't like to clean, i really don't...especially those really deep cleans. i get halfway through and wonder why i even started. we use that bar keepers friend on our pool steps, the pool guys recommended it and it works great!! it looks so pretty there and like the perfect place to decompress and paint. your paintings are lovely,,,i have been coloring!! our air quality was really bad yesterday, better today!! it is ok, there will be plenty of time for outside events!!

This N That said...

Your reeds are great..I always do skies wet on wet..Can't miss..Then I occasionally dab a few spots with a wadded up paper towel to make clouds.I always do the sky first and let it dry!!
Sorry about the plumbing...that sure can mess up party plans.
Air quality is awful..We are in the purple zone today..(The worst).Lot's of things are closed especially pools an amusement parks...We have had temps close to 100 all week..Our third heat wave..The weather of the future!!

anno said...

You look so happy! Glad to see you adjusting so nicely to cottage life -- everything looks beautiful, so cheery (except for maybe Rick's hands) -- but, gotta say, glad to hear you're back in town for a few days. Seems like a good time to have the shelter of air conditioning and air purifiers. Take care, and hope you're back soon to lakeside delights!

Anonymous said...

Lovely art and beautiful family photos!-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Bill said...

Love the windmills and te=he cats. Great creative hands, enjoy the day.

Carol said...

Floating around on a raft sounds like a great way to stay cool! Your reeds look great. I haven’t painted in awhile and really miss it. Unfortunately we had more issues with our toilet and septic tank than I care to mention. That’s another thing I don’t miss from the cottage. We’ve had the smoke in our area but I’ve been staying inside everyday. We’re supposed to go to a group picnic on Sunday, but we’ll have to wait and see what the air quality will be then. Stay indoors and stay safe!

Veronica Lee said...

The lake days sound dreamy -- floating on rafts, family laughter, and even the little ones calling it “the sea.”
Love how you squeezed in art and reading between all the cleaning and visiting.
Sorry about the toilet mishap, but it seems the extra time together made up for it.
Glad you got home safely before that apocalyptic smoke rolled in!

DeniseinVA said...

It looks idyllic Jeanie and how wonderful to have so much company. The little ones are adorable! I loved your artwork. The cats will make pretty cards if that is what you decide to do. All fun photos and following along with everything you did. Thanks for sharing and have a a great weekend!

Pamela said...

I love seeing you with family and friends. How nice it must be to have these family connections and memories at the lake.
That smoke looks dangerous.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sounds like life at the lake rafting and having fun with family was idyllic until the crisis of the toilet came up.

We had smoke in KS, but NOTHING like yours. Happy belated b'day to Rick and happy FFO.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Looks like you are having an idyllic time at the cottage, Jeanie, and despite what the politicians in your state say, we are not sending smoke down deliberately. Do those idiots have any idea how vast the boreal forest is? Do they recognize that the warming of the Earth Has been caused in great measure by the United States? What kind of morons do you elect down there?

Alexandra said...

You add a whole different dimension to the phrase "living life to the fullest"! Combining what you are in control of and then have uncontrolled incidences thrown in, there is never a dull moment with you! You have so much joy that brings on smiles! That's what I wish for you, many reasons to continue smiling!

Breathtaking said...

you and your family enjoying the lake on those rafts, The children were having a great time in the water. and everyone was having fun. Visit cut short by the toilet crisis, but a nessessity didn't spoil your time there, and you got a lot done. Cleaning, reading and painting, all on one visit. I also like the reeds in the foreground of your windmill painting,.I hope you are none the worse for the poor quality of air, and hope you will be back at the lake very soon.
All the best
Sonjia.

Boud said...

There must be a song about floating on the lake in the summer. You look so happy!

DVArtist said...

Oh Jeanie what an absolutely marvelous time at the lake. Except the toilet. Family, friends, kids, laughter, and memories made, how can one go wrong with that? Your art is stunning. I'm so impressed and a envious of your watercolor talent. Thank you for sharing it all with FFO. Glad you are out of the smoke.

Shiju Sugunan said...

What a gorgeous view to finish the trip on! Glad you made it home before the air got that bad. Enjoy the birthday celebrations!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jeanie,
Your Lizzie looks puckered out, she does have a good life.
Love the views of the lake, the flowers and wonderful photos of your family and the kiddies. I have never heard of bar keepers friend, I assume it is good for cleaning the tiles. Your art work looks pretty. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Tom said...

...gloves, what gloves? Enjoy the lake.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm sorry about the smoke and hope they get the fires under control. You had a good time with fun family and friends. Take care sweet lady and keep smiling. You have the MOST beautiful smile in blogland! Hugs, Diane

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear friend, your photos are beautiful and heartwarming and I absolutely love your artistic talent!!!
Yes, please be careful with cleaning products! It is wise to wear gloves, sometimes you can get a rash or burn from the chemicals! And be careful not to use these products on your face!
Wildfires....goodness, they are in many places right now. Please stay safe and if there is smoke, keep your windows and doors closed and stay inside.
Your cat is precious and knows how to relax. Aren't they wonderful? :)

Anonymous said...

My heavens, re: Rick's hands! I use barkeeper's friend all the time to get rust off fiberglass and such in my work, but I've never had a bit of effect from it. Clearly, he was getting after it a lot more enthusiastically than I do -- and over a larger area! I can't imagine floating around in the lake, but it's so hot here that anyone using the pool after mid-morning is staying mostly submerged. This coming week we're finally going to get really hot; I can't wait!

I've never seen water lilies plucked for a bouquet. They're charming. Do they last as long in a vase as they do in a pond? I hope so!

Chrissy T said...

What an eventful but lots fun moments you have had. His hands! Wowza!!!!! I am glad they are better. I love the artwork!

Shari Burke said...

I'm so happy for you that you got to spend this wonderful time with loved ones! It's a shame about the toilet malfunction--glad that's sorted! Stay safe and take care of yourself in the heat and smoke!

jeanie said...

What distance between the lake house and home? I read about the smoke stuff on Debbie's blog - clear skies down this side of the globe.

Granny Sue said...

After seeing photos from further north, the smoke here was really nothing. My goodness, that would be scary.
But what fun having all those visitors. Floating on the lake just sounds ideal. The toilet breaking though, that was a shi**y thing to happen!
I hope you can return soon to your lakeside paradise.

Sherry's Pickings said...

hope you're feeling okay now. Love your artwork!
sherry

Prims By The Water said...

Oh no on the toilet situation. It is day 4 of the smoke here and they say only the surgical masks will work if you plan on staying outside for long period of time. I felt bad for the sailors who took off yesterday in this smoke for the annual Mackinac Island race that started on this side. They had to endure both the smoke and some bad storms that came in. Janice

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love your crazy cats art! And you know what else is just crying out to be painted? That lovely photo of the sleeping cat on the wicker loveseat!

Acorn Hollow said...

Lots of wonderful summer fun! I have not painted in weeks and weeks.
Hurry back to the lake summer goes quickly.
Cathy

Joanne said...

Yikes! Those hands. That looks a bit painful.... but I guess not too painful to not go kayaking. LOL. Your waterlilies are so pretty. We've had some smoky skies from the Canadian wildfires too.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Happy Birthday Rick!🎂🥳👍
The lake looks gorgeous. It is good y'all had nice weather. Making summer memories is the best part about summer. Lovely artwork, the cats! Need more of them. 👏👍
May

roughterrain crane said...

I love the photo of the sun and the boy. I am able to feel his excitement. Happy summer!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I have forgotten about Bar Keeper's Friend - I used to use it and it does do a great job... too bad about the hands! All your photos are beautiful and the family photos are so joyful.. I enjoyed seeing them all. It's nice that you are all settled and everything is looking so clean so now you can enjoy your summer.

Lisbeth said...

It is nice to see that you have settled in, and are having a great time. However, property always seem to come with a lot of work and obligations. I guess it will always be a mixture of pleasure and work. Good that you are enjoying the summer with family and friends. It seems to be such a great place.

R's Rue said...

What beautiful memories made. So happy for you. Blessings my friend.

Adam Jones said...

Hope the hands are on the mend soon. I like your painting of the windmills.

Carol On The Lake said...

It's great you still have a lot of cousins to see. Most of mine have gone to God. I have one first cousin who I still converse with on Facebook. She has loads of children, grand-children, and even a great- grandchild. Unfortunately, living in different states, we haven't seen each other in 20 years.

gigi-hawaii said...

Too bad about the air. It happens sometimes when the volcano erupts in Hawaii. But cats sleep right through it. They even sleep on our car, leaving paw prints on the windshield.

Sami said...

Poor Rick, hope he wasn't in pain with his hands. Floating in the lake with the family, bliss. Broken toilet with all those visitors, not fun! Love the watercolours, you should paint Lizzie sleeping on the sofa.

Sami said...

Hope the air quality has improved, all those fires are awful!

nicole orriens said...

I love how Rick brought you a flower. Your home at the lake looks so lovely and I really like your paintings.

Nancy said...

Yikes! His hands were horrible! Glad he recovered!
The smoke was HORRIBLE here. We had a 526AQI one day! Thank God for rain to clear it out.
Your artwork is beautiful! And how fun that you are having such wonderful family time. We are too!

Marilyn Miller said...

Sad the air quality got so bad and a broken toilet too. Overall the time at the lake looked so wonderful with visits from special people, but especially being towed around on a floaty rubber raft. What a treat!

Joyful said...

It looks like a thoroughly good time is being had at the lake. How wonderful that you had family visiting you there.

maya said...

I'm with Aiden, it IS an inland sea in my mind too :)! SO happy to see the art (those cats are the bomb!) and hear the mobility is improving. XOXO

Popular Posts