The Gypsy Caravan 2023

▼

Sunday, September 20, 2026

Postcards From the Lake: Bits and Pieces

We're wrapping up peak season at the cottage. Yes, there will be more visits, but they will be shorter and the weather will be colder. Soon it will be time to close up. I always dread that. Yet, these later days have their charms. There have been evenings when we could eat dinner on the porch -- or enjoy some snacks as we watch a sunny day turn into twilight. 

 

There's something about the light at this time of day. It's perfect. 

 

I couldn't resist playing with this photo. Color or black and white? You pick!

I had a lovely sighting of Harry North. He's pretty skittery as soon as he detects your presence, but I did manage one good photo.

 

I had a wonderful day that was a surprise! My friend from high scchool, Nancy, called. She was at their place about 40 minutes away and wanted to get together. Sure! She suggested the farmer's market in Boyne City and it was a fabulous suggestion.

 

It was one of the nicest markets I'd ever been to -- mostly produce but also some food vendors selling mustards and jams.

 

There were beautiful flowers. 

And Nancy found this fellow selling microgreens. He was almost out after she bought some!  

 

Nancy sent this pic of the lavender booth. Oh, that was great. I bought some edible lavender -- we'll see how that goes!

We applauded the Dems promoting our preferred candidates.

 

And after, had a wonderful lunch as we did a little shopping in Boyne City. Isn't this scarecrow great?

 

Then it was back to her place where we talked for a couple of hours before I headed home. And yes, we had to have a photo. The smiles say it all!

 

We also had a visit from Rick's nephew Johnny, who is temporarily working in Michigan. They went hiking and we enjoyed breakfast and dinner together. All good.


 Now home for a bit. But we'll be back soon! 

Sharing with:   Love Your Creativity  /  Talking About It Tuesdays  /  Share Your Style      

56 comments:

  1. Lovely times as the summer winds down. I do not care for eatable lavender. Interested in how you feel after trying.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was discussing scarecrows with someone recently, although I forget who, but I haven’t seen one in a field in years. I don’t think they were particularly effective anyway. Now they have almost become folk art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jeanie, it's wonderful to see your post. Beautiful photos, and a magnificent portrait of Harry North.
    It looks like a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely way to ease into the quieter season, with unexpected reunions, good food, and those last lingering evenings on the porch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely post Jeanie.
    Great visit with your friend Nancy to the Farmers Market, and lovely smiles in that picture of the two of you.
    So nice to see Harry North too.
    Great photographs all round :)

    Enjoy your September days.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great Farmers Market. Looks like a great day with your friend. How nice that Rick’s nephew could visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful moments and fun going on. I bet the lighting is beautiful. I love the way lighting shifts and changes during the season. I love dusk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and your friend look so happy! Yes, that time of day is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pleasant time of year. Well done with Harry. The two versions of the photo are good, but I’ll give the nod to the colour version. It speaks to the light that you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that first photo of Rick. The light is so beautiful. The market you went to looks absolutely huge. I would enjoy browsing around there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the color photo. But then I love color--lol!
    Nice shot of Mr. Harry.
    Great visits with friends and family. Really enjoyed pic of you two smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Splendid series of photos Jeanie. So special getting together with family members and friends. Love the name you chose for the heron It fits him perfectly. The farmers market looked great too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It doesn't seem long since you had your first visit to the Lake - how the time flies.
    Hope the weather is good enough for a few days more before winter arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Jeanie, those beaming faces at the end speak of a wonderful time spent with people you like—and that is great But those cozy late-summer evenings by the lake also have a beautiful, slightly melancholic quality. Of the photos of Rick, I actually prefer the black-and-white one in this instance; it captures a lovely interplay of light and shadow that suits a certain autumnal melancholy perfectly.
    Lavender is definitely edible, though not everyone is a fan—some people say it tastes like eating soap. I once made lavender chicken—here’s the recipe: https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2013/07/ein-rostrosiges-lavendel-rezept.html
    It wasn't bad, though I still prefer rosemary chicken. I think lavender is best used for flavoring sugar.
    All the best & hugs from Austria 🤗
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/09/sommerliche-tage-ein-bunter.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can imagine you must quite sad cottage-time is nearly over - it went way too quick!
    Sorry, I cannot decide for color or b/w!
    So nice of your friend to meet at the markets!
    Please let us know about the lavender! Lovely photo of you two - and the hiker-guys :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Jeanie,
    Wonderful collection of photos and happy moments.
    Love the shot of Harry North. Cute photo of you and your friend and a great shot of Rick and his nephew. I would love some of the lavender products. Take care, enjoy your Monday! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It seems like you just shared with us that you would soon start posting "Postcards From the Lake"! What a sweet surprise to get that call from your friend and then spend time together. Your smiles speak louder than your words!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Always nice to be able to meet up with friends. Also how nice that Rick's nephew was able to visit. Loved seeing Harry of the North. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  19. ...thanks for the update. Where did the summer go?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Re Rick's pic..I like color AND band w.Fun to be with your friend:) You look a bit alike:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH, I love the black and white version of Rick, the light and shadow focus attention on his face more. Nice to see Harry. What a fun day with a friend and a fabulous farmer's market!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like the season is wrapping up nicely. Can you believe it is already this late in September.? I like the color
    Photo of Rick. Enjoy every minute. Summer is ticking by too fast. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  23. It seems like only a week since you traveled up to the lake. Goodness! It's an odd feeling to read your post, because we're in line for yet another week in the upper 90s: yuck! But there's a cool front coming next week, and we might dip into the 80s.

    One of the sad results of our extended heat has been the scarcity of treats at the farmers' markets. People's crops just haven't done well. But, our 'second spring' is coming, and soon it will be time to put fall tomatoes in , if they haven't already been started. I missed having a single good tomato this year, so I have high hopes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My mom and I were just remarking this morning on how fast the time flies. She and my step father will be leaving for home next Wednesday already... though I think with our temps this week they'll be happy to head south as it has gotten pretty chilly overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The farm market was wonderful, but the photo of you and your friend is the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy! Happy! Happy! Postcard today. Fun times with an old friend, Harry North posing for a bit, Rick smiling with his nephew (who favors Rick, I think), a visit to the Farmers Market and the cool colors on the porch pics. I like the B&W photo because....well, because I'm old school, tho I have to admit when I watched the 'Wizard of Oz' many moons ago in the movie theater, I was delighted when the scenes changed from B&W to technicolor! Although it is emotional when closing down the cottage at the lake (I can't help but think of the movie 'On Golden Pond')...hey! I can't help it, I'm a movie gal! You know you will return when more memories will be added to your family history. Hugs and keep smiling, you are radiant!🥰💕
    Kari @ Me and My Captain

    ReplyDelete
  27. The seasons change but the good times roll on!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Enjoy every last bit of the cottage! I love being at the lake this time of the year. There’s a wonderful peace and stillness about it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The weather in Michigan at this time of the year is near-perfect, with a high around seventy and sunny skies. Wish we could have met up, but maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello Jeanie, fun times with a dear friend at the farmers market. I can’t wait to see what you make with edible lavender, maybe a delicious tea cake or cookie. I love the lighting, I think I prefer the black and white! Happy first day of autumn tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I do love the way the light shines in that photo of Rick -- I think I like the B&W better. Does it seem like summer went by really fast? Whoosh!!

    Isn't all lavender edible? I have used my lavender flowers in cookies and ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The farmer's market looks lovely and those flowers are beautiful.
    I liked the black and white lighting on the photo the best by the way : )

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fun Times All Around! I always enjoy your postcards from the lake!
    We are winding down too. But the chill is in the air and it feels great!
    I enjoyed the market pictures. And both pictures of Rick are fabulous. I am so glad you had wonderful visits with friends and family!
    Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Report back on the edible lavender! I don't know that I could ingest lavender but I sure love the scent! The Westin hotel chain gives out a little roller with lavender in it - you roll it on your wrist and it potentially helps you fall asleep. I don't know that it works but I use it because I love the scent!

    You are certainly dressed for fall! We are here, too. We did not have a buffer between HOT and CHILLY. I do hope we see some temps in the 70s in the weeks ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Looked like a good time was had by all ! Love the Rick pictures too. Enjoy the early fall weather ! Dawn P.

    ReplyDelete
  36. It seeme lake time flew by, where did the time go. The market looks like a good one. Nice to see Harry North patrolling his area once again.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow...it seems as though you just got there...Summer flew by..Glad you are still enjoying the cabin!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I don't know how I missed this wonderful post. How fun to meet up with your school friend. The farmer's market looks great. I do love this photo of the two of you with your big beautiful smiles. In fact all of the photos are wonderful. It feels like summer went by pretty fast.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Every season has something special to offer, as long as we choose to live in the moment. I really like the b&w version of the picture, because it adds to the reflective mood of the pose. That is a very good picture you got of Harry North, and believe that scarecrow is great too. Looks like you had a marvelous time out and about with family and friends. Peace, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wonderful post and photos of the lovely times you had ~
    Hugs ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  41. Glad to hear you are still at the cottage for a while ... at least. Soon the days will be colder ... You have great friends .... and what a summer it's been through your posts! Hear hear.

    ReplyDelete
  42. That's a really great photo of you and your friend. I love going to farmer's markets. Good shot of Harry North. I like Rick in color- he looks vibrant Our weather is starting to cool off too. Tonight it is 62. Just last week it was in the mid 80's. I guess fall is here !

    ReplyDelete
  43. It is a bit melancholic that your time at the lake will eventually come to an end. I like this time of year - the light is softer and the shadows are getting longer. It's always in the garden where I notice it first. How wonderful that you were able to meet up with your high school friend. Going to a farmers market together always is a good thing in my book. Enjoy the remaining days at the lake!

    ReplyDelete
  44. The porch evenings sound magical, and that market trip with Nancy looked like such fun.
    The lavender booth caught my eye -- curious to hear how you’ll use it.
    Loved seeing Harry North and the cheerful smiles too.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Look at those happy faces! The smiles do say it all!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Making the most of the last days of Summer at the cabin...
    Wonderful that you could meet up with your friend and also had a visitor. The market sounds wonderful and I love the scarecrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Jeanie, I just lost my comment. I'll be back tomorrow to try again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh, I love a good farmer's market Jeanie. Those small flowers are so pretty and fall looking. The scarecrow is delightful and she welcomes you all at the market. And a cute picture of you and your friend. I will miss these lake posts, they are always so charming, and filled with nature, like the sighting of Harry. Have a terrific September week, Jeanie.

    ReplyDelete
  49. That farmer's market looks great - and catching up with old friends is generally wonderful (I was going to say always, but its not always, is it?). I am so glad that you share your cottage time with us.

    ReplyDelete
  50. You have such fun, and I feel your joy! Just joyful.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Jeannie, it will be nice to return to these warm evenings now that it’s getting colder. I miss that hot summer… not 40 degrees, but a little less would be fine… Hug, Andreja!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hello Jeanie :)
    It must be rather sad to leave the lake, but you had some good times there this summer, and we enjoyed seeing all your photos. It's great that you saw and took a good photo of the Heron Harry North, (wasn't he just called Harry the Heron at one time ?) I like the first coloured photo of Rick, and it's nice that his nephew visited, and you took a great photo of them standing together.
    The market looked like a fun place to meet up with your school pal, and you both look so happy to be together. I wonder what you will make with the edible lavender !
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  53. This seems like it would be such a lovely time at the cottage. Slightly chilly, tea on the beach. I love cold weather though. Lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by! I moderate comments so if yours doesn't show up right away, don't worry. It will. I try to answer directly with email if your address is included. If you are a no-reply blogger or not a blogger, know that I appreciate your visit but may not be able to reach you.