You don't turn 75 every day. Those five-and-zero birthdays are sometimes a bit of a kick in the pants. Rick wanted to do something special for my birthday and I wholeheartedly agreed. After all, between his trip south and my lake time, we hadn't seen each other for almost a month! So, he suggested meeting half-way between Lansing and Gaylord in Gladwin, Michigan. He would cycle up, I'd drive down, and we'd head back to the lake together a couple of days later.
He chose the Riverwalk Hotel and Spa for our meeting spot, and a fine one it was, too. Rick had dined there before and knew they had a wonderful restaurant. And, all the sweeter, a spa with various services. (I picked massage, of course!)
The first night we skipped the restaurant and opted for take-out pizza on the patio, enjoying the creek that fed into the Cedar River.
After, we meandered a bit, and then tossed beanbags. Rick's went into the hole on the target several times. I'm just lucky mine didn't land in the water!
Rick was exhausted from his ride (about 105 miles and it was hot) so we headed to our room early. It was an interesting space, large and beautifully appointed. Very nice art (in even nicer frames) on the walls, silk flowers in a vase on the desk and a far more extensive selection of coffee and tea than one usually sees in a hotel room.
The only thing missing was a window. And there were no other rooms available to move to. It was like sleeping in a hermetically sealed room, which actually, isn't bad for sleeping. In fact, Rick went 12 hours, and I did 10 that first night. That's rare for both of us. (Apparently he missed the note on the website when booking the room regarding that feature!)
No matter! We were rested for a good walk the next morning, exploring the town of Gladwin. Let's say there's not much to explore. At that time, pretty much everything was closed. And there wasn't much we felt would merit a return visit.
But it did some of the small-town charm things -- lovely potted plants on light posts and a war memorial.
And, a pretty mural.
Gladwin is located in very rural Michigan, so we were able to see the contrast of the Amish or Mennonite farmer's transportation and the cars that surrounded it on main street
Not wanting to eat at the hotel twice, we looked about for restaurants. There aren't any (well, any we wanted to eat at) so we drove to the nearby town of Beaverton, where gas was 35 cents cheaper. We had an omelette lunch (yes, we'd had breakfast at the hotel -- yogurt and pastries in a bag. Tasty enough but not exactly breakfast.) The restaurant was one of those "up north" places I love -- lots of knotty pine, booths, a menu that is part diner, part more-than-diner. I suppose we could have gone to the movie after lunch, but we gave it a pass.
We got home and spent the rest of the afternoon munching appetizers on the patio, enjoying the river, the flowers, and just catching up! Then it was time for my massage! No photos there, but it was wonderful!
A quick change and it was down to dinner. Now, this is going to sound weird, but we brought our own wine. Not that the restaurant didn't have a lovely wine list (which we didn't know beforehand). They did. But this was a pricey bottle I'd given Rick for his birthday last month and he decided this was the occasion he wanted to have it. We asked the restaurant if they had a decanter (the waitress was clueless) so Rick opened it in the room so it could breathe while I had my massage.
We were seated on the terrace, an elevated view of the river. Wine at hand! It was a lovely view!
And the dinner was wonderful. A perfect birthday meal.
I really couldn't have asked for a more relaxing and delightful birthday. I was able to read, to walk, to see someplace new, to have relaxation time, a massage and most of all, time to be with Rick after too long apart.
Now, that three quarters of a century are behind me, what's next? I shudder to think!
(And on another note, I'm very behind answering comments; I'm trying to catch up visiting and keep up with replies, so forgive me for falling behind!)
Sharing with: Love Your Creativity / Mural Monday

Happy, Happy, birthday. What a wonderful way to spend your 75th. I wish you all the happiness the universe has to offer. I love your beautiful smiling face.
ReplyDeleteMany happy birthday wishes Jeanie.
ReplyDeleteLovely post, fabulous photographs and what great smiles in that last photograph.
All the best Jan
Happy belated birthday, again! And a big milestone one, too! My mom turned 78 yesterday and Phil turns 45 on Tuesday. August is full month for birthdays and anniversaries in our family as both my sisters were married in August!
ReplyDeleteYour getaway sounded wonderful. The lack of a window is a bit odd, especially in such a picturesque place! When I travel for work and FaceTime the boys, they always want to see the view from my window! Then I close the blinds/darkening curtains and usually don’t look out again, unless it’s a really cool view or there is a patio, like there was in my hotel in southern CA with a view of the ocean!
Love the photo of you and Rick! What a beautiful couple you make. And I am very happy to hear how deeply you both slept. What a gift!!
You did something out of the ordinary, whether it was the very best ever or not, so I think you'll remember your 75th. Congrats.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely photo of you and Rick at the end of your post, Jeanie! Definitely Rick treated you to a thoughtful and relaxing birthday. I really believe in the healing power of massage, so I was delighted to hear you had one. Wishing you all the best in year 75 ~ May it be filled with health, happiness, fulfillment, and LOVE! I've lost a number of good friends too young, so the way I look at getting older is I'm lucky to be here! Keep on enjoying life with Rick! ❤️🌺❤️
ReplyDeleteHappy Belated Birthday Jeanie and what a fun celebration. You both looked very happy and those were fabulous photos of you two. That no-window hotel room must have been a bit startling, but you certainly made the best of it, way to go!!! Thanks for sharing with us and have a wonderful 75 birthday year.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday, Jeanie! What a wonderful way to spend the birthday. These kind of treats are my favourites, rather than spending money on a present one doesn't need.
ReplyDeleteI can really feel how relaxed it was from your post. So happy that you are together again.
Sounds like the perfect birthday retreat--pizza by the creek, beanbags, a massage, and wine on the terrace. Simple pleasures, shared with Rick, make the best memories. Happy 75th, Jeanie!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful birthday celebration! I'm so glad that you had such a wonderful birthday with Rick. Wishing you health and happiness as you make your next journey around the sun!
ReplyDeleteFirst of all: Happy, happy Birthday, if belated, dear Jeanie!!!
ReplyDeleteOh and Pizza!
I AI´d "tossing beanbags" - it had no idea! Is it for luck?
No window???
The wine made me laugh! In Australia most (?) restaurants are BYO, bring your own, cause they have no licence for serving alcohol.
(We live in a cabin and have our own food - and beer!, if light-beer).
Thank you for the smile, you two look so happy!!!
To the next years! My (German) friend says - and she is younger than me: Getting old is nothing for "Bangbüxen", which means being afraid, and my FIL says, "Get old or die."
To getting old and having fun! (I could shoot my back and leg into space right now though)
What a fabulous birthday Jeanie. And that is a super photo of you and Rick together. He was really thoughtful. And the fact that he brought his expensive bottle of wine for you to enjoy...it looks like a super birthday. And 75 is a big one to celebrate for certain. Those 5 and 0 birthdays are a good excuse (but do we need excuses) to make them special. Happy start to this next trip around the sun. hugs-Erika
ReplyDeleteSitting by that creek would be at the top of my list, although a good game of cornhole always is fun! It sounds like a wonderful birthday celebration, and those long nights' sleep must have been an unexpected treat. A room without a view seems a little odd, but bearable in the grand scheme of things. Here's to plenty of things to see (and do) in the next years!
ReplyDeleteHappy belated bday! So fun doing something special..We often bring our own wine..well when we did weekend trips often preferring baguette and cheese in our room to a resto.We are like that..:). I don't know how I would feel in a room with no window..LOL I remember one fateful trip..out our window was a staircase:( I hated it..it was the view..like stuck to our window..Yes I can be miserable...You look great! We have 2 1/2 yrs diff;)I cannot remember the last time I slept 10 hrs.I think I was 17.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday! What a wonderful way to celebrate. It all looks perfect! And I will say one of the best sleeps I ever had was in 2002 or 2003, my husband and I were stopping for the night in Golden on the way to visit his parents (here! where I am now). Anyway, the hotel lost the reservation and they gave us this room on the lower level that was essentially for truckers to rest on long-hauls. There were no windows, it was a dark room with two double beds, we were both exhausted from work, etc., and we probably slept solidly for like ten hours. We still talk about that crappy room and what a great sleep we had!
ReplyDelete...Jeanie, I don't remember my 75th birthday, but I do remember that it wasn't as grand as yours. Later this month I clock another decade. Enjoy your summer.
ReplyDeleteLooks like. Wonderful birthday. It is always fun to get away. Sorry about the windowless room. Wow, sleeping 10 hours is pretty awesome. I haven’t had that kind of sleep in years.
ReplyDeleteWishing you a very Happy Birthday, a nice time away and spent with a loved one. Xx
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Jeanie! The resort/spa sounds like a wonderful birthday getaway! Beautiful photos of you and Rick. Wishing you many more happy years ahead. Have a great day and happy week ahead.
ReplyDeleteOh Jeanie what a wonderful way to spend your milestone birthday...I think spending time in a little spot is better than a huge city...makes it more intimate and there are not a lot of decisions or choices to make. I believe eight of the most dreaded words the Captain can say is: it "I don't care...it is up to you." LOL Altho the windowless room is a new one on me....don't think I have ever been in one of those....but the river/creek side patio had to be enjoyable. I know you and Rick were anxious to get back to your beautiful lake life too...Stay cool dear one....it is so hot down here...and pace yourself and just do what you can do...the rest will wait.🥰💕
ReplyDeleteCongrats on reaching a new milestone. Glad you got to spend it with Rick. Wishing you the best as you go forward, stay healthy and happy.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday, Jeanie!! And it looks like all was wonderful -- so nice of Rick to share his fancy bottle of wine with you! The lack of window in your bedroom was surprising... around here, any bedroom needs an openable window or it's not up to code. Must be a different code for hotels....
ReplyDeleteThat picture of you & Rick is beautiful -- you both look so happy! What a great way to launch a new year...
Happy birthday! You look so happy and both of you glad to be together again. That was a great celebration!
ReplyDeleteThree quarters of a century and still vibrant, interested and interesting, and enjoying life. That’s a real accomplishment, Jeanie.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! 🎂💐🥳🥂
ReplyDeleteA beautiful birthday, the wine made it even more special.
May
Beautiful photos! Happy Birthday, dear Jeanie! I will be 70 in October. What a beautiful picture of you and Rick! You are both fantastic.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Jeanie! Terrific, I have loved your blog and your enthusiasm for life and nature for a long while, and I wish you many more happy years ahead. Having a glass of wine overlooking the river with your beloved partner sounds great to me. It doesn't get better!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday.!!..well done Rick for organising too.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! What a lovely getaway you and Rick had. I have been to Gladwin but do not remember any Amish being there. Oh well. I would have hit the that cornhole bag in the river as I am not that good at the game. LOL Janice
ReplyDeleteA Happy Birthday to you.........you have a one in a million hubby sorting all that out for you.......enjoy!
ReplyDeletehappy birthday my friend...what a wonderful birthday surprise!! i love birthdays, and always try to make them special for everyone. great captures from the day, that rick is such a dear soul!! awesome picture of the 2 of you!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a charming birthday trip! It’s nice to getaway for the special birthday.
ReplyDeleteSo many wonderful memories made celebrating your birthday in such a special way! I admire how you live your life, it's to the fullest! You have so many interests, you are involved in lots, staying active and still learning. I am happy to have come upon your blog a little while back, you are an inspiration and a great role model. A belated Happy Birthday to you!
ReplyDeleteJeanie, it sounds like a perfect way to celebrate your birthday. Wishing you health, happiness, and many more birthdays to celebrate together with Rick.Love your pics too!! You both look so happy. I turned 75 this year too.
ReplyDeleteA very happy birthday to you, Jeanie! That looks like a great place to enjoy your birthday and nice to have a massage, too! -Jenn
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Jeanie!! I hope you had a fabulous day!
ReplyDeleteThat was a wonderful. birthday! If Rick had to stop riding he would go mad. Ride on, rick! A birthday massage sounds a treat! I quit having massages ages ago because the skin that I am in is like a assault to the eyes and feels...I am four years older than you, little sister, and can say that the older we get the better! Patina!! And even better, attitude of letting things go. (not giving a shit- which is an excellent saying ?)
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday Jeanie. What a great way to spend a milestone birthday with Rick, who was kind enough to share a lovely bottleof wine with you. I had never heard of a windowless hotel room. We've booked a cruise for March next year with an interior cabin, and I'm wondering if I'm not going to regret it...but the other 2 couples going with us say it's just fine. You found a wonderful mural too. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals.
ReplyDeleteWhat a pleasant day for your birthday, Jeanie. Not too over the top, and just right. There's nothing like a good pizza to enjoy. I've never heard of tossing bean bags onto a target before. Sometimes we sleep best with no heaters or air on, no sounds, no motors running. I would have liked to seen that horse and wagon trotting long with all the cars on main street. Sounds like my kind of breakfast place too. Diners are my favorite. And a nice picture of you and Rick to remember the day. 75, that's wonderful! ; )
ReplyDeleteGood morning I enjoyed your post-sooo fun perfect for birthday hugs Kathy
ReplyDeleteCharming! What a great way to celebrate -- love that mural for Monday Murals too!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday! It sounds like you had a really wonderful celebration.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday it sounds like a perfect celebration.
ReplyDeleteCathy
Happy Birthday dear friend!💐 What a wonderful Birthday you had. A massage, your sweetheart, and wonderful wine! Fabulous!
ReplyDeleteHappy Happy Birthday Jeanie. Such a lovely way to spend your day, especially after you and Rick have been apart for awhile. I know you both are looking forward to your time together at the lake. Great pics of you both.........
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful birthday, for a wonderful person.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like a sweet reunion for you both after Rick's long bike ride, and a wonderful relaxing birthday celebration for you--the best kind! Happy 75! Keep clebrating each and every day in good health and happiness!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday Jeanie! Yes 75 is a milestone to be celebrated. Rick did well with the hotel, etc. and a massage is always nice! I know you are glad to have Rick back after his trip!
ReplyDelete