Sunday, June 17, 2018

If You Can't Be with the Dad You Love, Love the One You're With!

Not that I don't already love the one I'm with! Because I do! Lots and lots!


But there are lots of great dads and I wanted to celebrate not only Rick (aka the one I'm with) but two others I'm not with on this day.

There's my own dad.


I was lucky in the good-dad department. Mine knew how to read stories well and tell them just as expressively!



He loved fishing and was very patient at cleaning those others caught (others being me who wasn't about to stick a knife into a fish, even though I'd already jabbed them with the hook!)


Dad loved animals and introduced me to my first cat.


He also put up with my garments-on-animals, a trait which unfortunately didn't die out after the age of eight (below, with Dad's dad. Those knee socks have got to go.)



Not every dad would play the Barbie Doll Game with his daughter. And not every dad would, some ten years later, find her after the senior prom parking with her boyfriend and knock on the car window. I lived through the shame. I miss him more than I can say. But there are other wonderful dads in my life.


Like Kevin, dad to our Baby Grand, Carson. He has his Weekend MBA stuff on Father's Day so we will be celebrating with our little guy and his mom. Then they'll head home and do the same with Kevin.


This is a special Dad's Day for him. I'm not sure Carson "gets it" yet, but he's much more for a party with every passing month.


And this will be his last one to be the only, as his baby brother is due in early July! And if he doesn't like that, he'll let you know!


And then there's Rick. I'm not sure any dad could love his kids more -- or get more frustrated now and then! Like the day public transit fan Rick tried to get them to appreciate the bus by taking the bus to the mall. We probably could have chosen a better day. Don't we all look happy here?!


Some of my earliest memories of them as a family involve cooking and they've had their hands into not only American food but Japanese and Italian as well.



And they still all love it, each with their own best-things to cook. Kevin and Rick will always argue gas vs. charcoal but both love the grill. Greg will create astonishingly healthy dishes. And only Kevin will clean the kitchen well.


Now there is a new boy in the family and he will have a group of Grandpas who will love him to pieces. And I'm sure the other two would argue with this -- but no one, I think, could love him more than Rick!


Happy Father's Day to all the dads from then, now and always.

27 comments:

shoreacres said...

I've never found anything that was funny enough to lead to the spit-coffee-on-the-keyboard response, but here it is: the vision of your dad knocking on the car window after the prom. Good grief. Imagining that little experience -- I'm glad you lived through it!

Joanne Huffman said...

A sweet tribute to the dads in your life.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

These men are important contributors to family, society. Hail to the chief dads of the world!!!!!!

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Such a sweet post, Jeanie. That little grandson is the cutest little guy! It sounds like you definitely have lovely memories of your own father. -Jenn

La Table De Nana said...

Very sweet post!! Haha I knocked on a car window too..and said:'Get in my car..now!"..LOL..Oh the stories...But they are parents now:) And may have to do the same.Clearly I over reacted;)

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

What a great bunch of men/fathers in your family. They are certainly tribute worthy and you did a wonderful job of sharing them with your blogger friends.

My name is Erika. said...

You have blessed to have so many good men in your life. I hope they all have a wonderful father's day, or father's to be in the future day. Hugs-Erika

Valerie-Jael said...

You are lucky to have had so many wonderful men in your life. Hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Awww, what a very cute pictures!

Funny I never thought those are called knee socks! The very same as in German, Kniestrümpfe. And horrible, too ;-)
Charcoal, always charcoal! Sooo much better.

You do have a lovely family! Happy Father´s Day! (Ours was a while ago already)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

So sweet. I have my Dad I miss, my Brother who is gone, the Father of my kids and the Best Dad ever to my Grands.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, wonderful Father's Day post and photos. You do have some wonderful men and Dads in your life.
Enjoy your day and the new week ahead!

Rita C at Panoply said...

You are so thoughtful, Jeanie, in how you write and pay tribute to those who give meaning to your life. I hope you have a great time celebrating Rick & Kevin's special day

Linda d said...

Beautiful tribute Jeanie

Marilyn Miller said...

A lovely tribute to the dad's in your family.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a loving tribute to all the Dads in your life, including the ones who are no longer with you.

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, I love all the photos with your dad. He was a handsome man. I hope all the dads in your life had a wonderful day. Baby Grand is a doll!

Lynne said...

Wonderful post Jeanie . . .
Love the photos of you as a little . . . with your dad.
Liked the last picture, Rick and his pal . . .

The French Hutch said...

Jeanie, I always enjoy your family photos you share. Yes, dads have a special place in our hearts and like you I miss mine and he was unique and oh so special! Little Carson is not so little and a new grand soon. That makes Father’s Day really special for your family. Have a wonderful week......hugs.

Decor To Adore said...

Love this precious post Jeanie. The vintage photos are so precious. You favor your dear dad.

Jenny Woolf said...

You are lucky to know so many lovely dads, not least your own, I miss my dad too, but, also like you, have other brilliant dads for other people in my life.Feel very blessed.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Such wonderful photos and memories. Thanks for sharing them with us :)

William Kendall said...

Quite a tribute!

carol@The Red Painted Cottage said...

Jeanie, Such a wonderful tribute to all the dads in your life. I didn't write or post anything for Father's Day this year. Sadie remembered her daddy with a card and gift, and so did our kids remember to call and visit.

Little Wandering Wren said...

Aghh Jeanie and around every group of good Dads is a thoroughly good woman, who appreciates and cherishes them! What a lovely post :)
Wren x

Doodle T said...

Heartwarming...love the photos...a lovely tribute to all dads.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Wonderful post and father tribute. I lost my Dad when I was fairly young--18, and I was sad he missed so much of my life, but grateful for the years we did have. I miss him dearly.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I love this post and the tribute to your dad. He sounds like quite a special guy. I hate that you lost him far too early.

I’m glad I was able to celebrate with both the dads in my life. I spent time with my dad Thur-sat and treated him to a DQ dessert for his father’s day gift (he’s easy to please - and he ordered a Vanilla Cone even though I told him he should order something more fun/extravagant than that!!). And then I celebrated with Phil on Sunday. We aren’t gift people so his ‘gift’ was sleeping in and I made him his favorite meal (lentil enchiladas) for dinner!

Popular Posts