Thursday, October 22, 2009

Now on Chopsticks --- Style, etc., part two

Now on Chopsticks and String -- Part two of our blog discussion on style, art and creativity.

Here's the opening...

What is style, anyway?

If people were to look at me, they would say I don't have much, and what I have hasn't much changed in far too many years. The same hair (a brief foray into long hair was a pain), more or less the same build, the same type of clothes -- corduroys and sweaters or bright shirts; definitely bright! And tennis shoes.

I asked my friend Suzanne to describe my style and she said, "Bright and accessorized."

So maybe I do have style. Or, "a" style.

We all have styles we like -- I like warm, casual, comfortable -- Mission/arts and crafts style for furniture (though I don't really have any of that, much to my sadness), wood and brick, quilts, copper, folk art. A little bit country, but not "cute" country. I love color.That's reflected in my creative work, too. Not too formal. Colorful. I hope, comfortable.

I'm not a "steel" or "chrome" or terribly contemporary person. I love it when I visit others who have a clean and uncluttered style, but it doesn't work for me (although Frank Lloyd Wright, with his clean arts and crafts lines is an exception. He can go modern or traditional).

And we have styles in what we do creatively. Some of us do more traditional work, while others are far more contemporary. Some are realistic in style, others more abstract. And then there is me, who sometimes feels a bit artistically schizophrenic!

So, are we repeating ourselves?

Read more at Chopsticks! (I will leave comments on the "comment page" for those posts, to continue the discussion!


12 comments:

joyce said...

Artistically schizophrenic........now you've hit the nail on the head for a lot of us!!

Pugelicious said...

I think our individual style - where we feel comfortable - exceeds all expectations of fashion. After all - isn't that what others aspire too? Being comfortable in your own skin - there is a lot to be said for that. I love your style :)

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I just love your accessories in the photo! What could be prettier than to adorn oneself with fairies?

beth said...

BE YOURSELF.....every one else is taken.....hee hee....just a reminder !
xo

Ruth said...

This was interesting. I remember a few years ago I had some angst about what my style was. I agree about being torn between ends of the spectrum. I like more than one style, so how to incorporate that into my own! I feel more comfortable now, settling into what I like. I'm talking mainly about dress.

Pam Aries said...

You've got STYLE,sister! I think what your friend said'''bright and accessorized is so cute. Love it. Thanks for your sweet comments on my paintings..I am having so much fun with them.

Nancy said...

It's difficult to pick a style when there are so many appealing facets in all. I'm definitely simple, clean and uncluttered, though. Makes it difficult to get the warm and homey...see, so hard to pick a style.
Happy Pink Saturday!

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

I LOVE your photos, your honesty, your humor. You are creativity personified.

Karen Owen said...

Hey, Jeanie, isn't that the photo taken at Joanne's? I enjoyed reading your thoughts on style.

Relyn Lawson said...

I do love posts about style. Everyone has such a different take on it. This was great.

Susie Q said...

YOu have great style...: )

jet1960 said...

Well, I think I could agree that my style is also all over the place and that is in all areas of my life-my art, way of dressing, decorating my home. Lets just call it creative expressionism.

Popular Posts