Monday, April 6, 2009

Bunnies Abound!

I know -- you thought I had a "cat thing." True, but I also have a "bunny" thing.

I remember the first day each year I see a bunny (March 23 this year) and I count them. Don't ask why -- I don't know.

And, I have a bit of a collection.

If I can photograph a rabbit, I will (like this one, in Carmel, California).

And yes, I've even owned a rabbit.

Georg Gaylord von Hutchbit was a gift from one of my high school friends at Easter during our senior year. I think she felt sorry for me, because our beloved collie died that fall. So, Mary gave me a rabbit.

Unfortunately, she didn't discuss this with my mother first.

I'm proud to say we had Georg -- named after the lead character in "Sound of Music" who was played by Mary's boyfriend -- for quite sometime, and when it was time to say farewell, we found him a good home who kept him for many years after. (That baby bunny grew into a big butt rabbit!)

Needless to say, at Easter, my fondness for bunnies includes lovely indoor critters from paper mache, wood, cloth, china and more.

This is one of my mom's -- he stands about two feet tall.

I love his cheery face!
And this one was a great find in a post-Easter sale!

My friend Judy gave me the bunny ballerina fairy before my surgery! I think it brought good luck.

My Pendelfin bunnies were part of a collection I started in high school, I think. Here they're playing music by a lovely plant from my friend Jane.

The detail is wonderful.

This one is jolly, in his apple cart.

Oh, there are many more bunnies at my house -- but you get the idea!

Looking forward to Easter!

14 comments:

beth said...

I love your bunny love !!!
I used to have it BAD, but not much anymore, so I'm thrilled to share yours !!!

anno said...

These are so sweet, I just love them! Glad to see you posting today--guess that means you still have power, right?

BONNIE K said...

You are truly the most festive person I know.

shoreacres said...

I've been so buried with real life I'm like the rabbit in Alice, running around saying, "I'm late, I'm late! I'm late to catch up with your blog!" So I'm just going to cruise right through and see what other wonders you have.

Did you know that in England there's a custom of saying "White rabbits, White rabbits, White rabbits" at the first day of each month? When I looked it up in Wiki there were many variants. In any case, it's supposed to bring good luck, and it's a wonderful way to keep your bunnies in mind once each month!

Relyn Lawson said...

Jeannie,

You weren't too late for the drawing. I haven't even looked at your post, I was so excited to come by and tell you how much I love your story. What a profoundly personal and lovely gift. Thank you, thank you for telling me about it. If you ever feel like sharing, I'd love to see some images from your books. If you'd like. Blessings.

jet1960 said...

I love bunnies, too! I've not bought any in a while, though. Some of mine are finding their way to Holly's home as she calls her dh, Bunny.

I love how you take the time to enjoy life and the seasons. You are very inspiring, you know.

Jane Rosemont said...

Thanks for these, Jeanie, it helps me get into Easter mode. Maybe our weather will improve, too. I especially love the photo of you with the bunny.

Oh said...

Georg is gorgeous - yes, and big! I have to vote for the bunny ballerina fairy, though. There's something about that one - perhaps that she's so photogenic as well?

HerzBlatt said...

I thought I would have a lot of bunnies but you are the winner!!! Lovely, your bunny collection.
I wish you a lovely Easter with a lot of painted eggs !!!!!!!
We will go on holiday until the end of next week...so I disappear from the blogger world...:-))

Joanne Huffman said...

...and they're darn cute bunnies!

Joanne

Linda Jo said...

Didn't know about the bunny issues! haha

Beth said...

HA!!!! I knew that was a real bunny! I dearly LOVE your Bunny collection!!! So cool,,,I Love Bunnies too!
xoxoxooxoxox

Rosa said...

I love all your bunnies. Bunnies are just the best. Happy Easter Jeanie!!! xoxo

Cat with a Garden said...

I have fond childhood memories of the Pendelfin bunnies. My mom and me used to visit the Lake District in England a few Summer holidays in a row and I always admired them in the window of o shop. We actually brought two home with us: Barney (the little cry bunny) and the one snoozeling on his desk top - can't remember his name. They are VERY cute!
Thanky for visiting my cats and me!

Popular Posts